ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP v Pacific game thread

I liked Hollins tonight, Boum too. There were way too many fouls but this has easily been our best game so far

Reactions: mikesarabia
I think Corona pointed bout that Pacific was 150ish in the KenPom ratings. That was a solid win away from home

Reactions: kickballpro
I think we were lucky to catch Pacific at the right time, with a new coach.
Totally agree. Arguing with ref after he tells you to back off twice on a play under review that was really was not critical was not smart.

I didn't get to see the game... How did we look? I know little about bball, so I depend on you peeps who know the game to give me insight

This game tells me that we don't have a Bryson replacement. We need a big who can back their way under the basket for a baby hook. Who is it gonna be?
There is not a BW replacement on this team offensively. Collectively, the combination of Verhoeven, Kalu, and Maring played 42 minutes, and were 0-7 from the field against an undersized Pacific team. TV played 30 of those minutes. However, I thought Hollins provided a much needed offensive boost, especially against the zone. His defense is still a problem, and that maybe due to conditioning, but also as a result of bad match ups on that end.

Having another scoring outside our guards is critical. Kennedy continues to struggle with offensive efficiency, but based on Golding's substitution patterns up to now, I'm not sure there is a realistic option to reduce his minutes without a net negative effect. The rebounding effort was better, but we committed way too many turnovers. That said, it was great to get the first D1 win under Golding; on the road no less.

There is not a BW replacement on this team offensively. Collectively, the combination of Verhoeven, Kalu, and Maring played 42 minutes, and were 0-7 from the field against an undersized Pacific team. TV played 30 of those minutes. However, I thought Hollins provided a much needed offensive boost, especially against the zone. His defense is still a problem, and that maybe due to conditioning, but also as a result of bad match ups on that end.

Having another scoring outside our guards is critical. Kennedy continues to struggle with offensive efficiency, but based on Golding's substitution patterns up to now, I'm not sure there is a realistic option to reduce his minutes without a net negative effect. The rebounding effort was better, but we committed way too many turnovers. That said, it was great to get the first D1 win under Golding; on the road no less.
What are the key on the court differences you see so far between CRT and CJG?

What are the key on the court differences you see so far between CRT and CJG?
This is an excellent question. On defense, CJG utilizes heavy on ball pressure on the wings, along with more double teaming with an emphasis on generating turnovers. CJG has stated his goal defensively is to generate at least 20 turnovers per game. The link below is a nice summary of Golding's defensive approach.

In general, I like what I have seen so far from CJG. It is early, but the team has been locked in and focused. It helps that the guys who play the most minutes are experienced. I think the staff is far better under Golding as well; I thought this was one of CRT's biggest issues here. Golding mentioned last night the need to work on designed plays to score. We went the last 4 minutes yesterday without scoring. That can't happen against better teams. I thought CRT did a very poor job of designing plays that helped his team score when needed. That is something to keep an eye on as the season progresses.

Last edited:
This is an excellent question. On defense, CJG utilizes heavy on ball pressure on the wings, along with more double teaming with an emphasis on generating turnovers. CJG has stated his goal defensively is to generate at least 20 turnovers per game. The link below is a nice summary of Golding's defensive approach.

In general, I like what I have seen so far from CJG. It is early, but the team has been locked in and focused. It helps that the guys who play the most minutes are experienced. I think the staff is far better under Golding as well; I thought this was one of CRT's biggest issues here. Golding mentioned last night the need to work on designed plays to score. We went the last 4 minutes yesterday without scoring. That can't happen against better teams. I thought CRT did a very poor job of designing plays that helped his team score when needed. That is something to keep an eye on as the season progresses.
Good stuff.

Reactions: Lil_Train
It was a little bit of a downer the way they failed to finish the game after an otherwise efficient performance. As you said; those last 4 minutes had them looking like they just wanted the game to end and had no other purpose.
BTW...I missed Saterfield and White's "one" minute each. I must have sneezed. Why did Golding do that and when was it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
Good q. I think Golding gets more out of the team defensively. Also, Golding doesn’t seem as punative as Terry. Terry was all in on Bryson and that led to an over reliabce on him which led to a stale offense. Also, the team seems to respond to Golding s coaching as the emphasis has been on rebounding and we saw the improvement last night.

Overall, much happier with Golding as a coach. Terry could recruit - let’s see if Golding gets there.

It was a little bit of a downer the way they failed to finish the game after an otherwise efficient performance. As you said; those last 4 minutes had them looking like they just wanted the game to end and had no other purpose.
BTW...I missed Saterfield and White's "one" minute each. I must have sneezed. Why did Golding do that and when was it?
I thinks we talked about this extensively in the off season but they're probably not ready for D1 ball. The juco numbers for those guys looked good but it's an entirely different game at D1. Golding has relied exclusively on d1 transfers when playing against d1 teams. The juco guys haven't scored against d1 teams this year. Most of it is lack of playing time but they're going to have earn the coach's trust or hope the other guys get in foul trouble and shine when they hit the floor.

I thinks we talked about this extensively in the off season but they're probably not ready for D1 ball. The juco numbers for those guys looked good but it's an entirely different game at D1. Golding has relied exclusively on d1 transfers when playing against d1 teams. The juco guys haven't scored against d1 teams this year. Most of it is lack of playing time but they're going to have earn the coach's trust or hope the other guys get in foul trouble and shine when they hit the floor.
I understand. My question was what was the purpose of playing them for "one minute" and at what point of the game was it? I somehow missed it; maybe when I was trying to sync the stream with Teicher's audio.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT