ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs Hawaii

If you take away Williams, then I don’t think that we are a very good team. Edwards is the only other player(besides Williams) with a good outside shot on our entire team. Even Boum misses way too many open shots to be considered a good outside shooter. Verhoven is not an option on offense, then he can’t box out a simple defensive rebound on two different missed free throw attempts. Vila looks just terrible at times and Lathon does have some talent, but he was just horrible against Hawaii.

We do have one player who is great, but without him, we are probably a .500 team.

Down the stretch? All game long. 28 minutes, ZERO points, 2 assists...as a ****ing pg. Its bullshit that Terry left him on the floor.
Right, but it only killed them down the stretch. Especially those turnovers... Coaching deserves the blame. Why put him in, when he hasn't produced. Hawkins would have been the better option. Oh well, another loss.We expected the Miners to be improved, they are... But I don't see how they will be winning CUSA with ONLY Williams and poor coaching.

Anxious to hear Terry's expertise in the post game defending Lathon and Vila and explaining why Hawkins and Tarke along with Stroud were guarding the bench.
Not so sold on Terry being our savior. These recent results have been horrid. I see no hope for the year. Without Williams it's difficult to imagine how bad things would be. Did he have 33 tonight and the rest of the team 30?

It was totally obvious that Hawaii took away our drive in the second half and took advantage of our switching up top on defense. Terry couldn't see this or didn't adjust.

Verhoeven is not perfect, but he at least makes an effort at the rim. Vila just puts his head down. If Verhoeven has earned the start, then why not the finish?

When a player has lost it like Lathon, you don't let him 'play through it' in crunch time of a winnable road game with a top 25 team around the corner.

Terry you can't keep hinging each game on Williams. If you want to run then put in your horses and take out the sloppiness.

Is there a reason why Terry doesn’t play Williams and Efe together? I understand needing one of them on the second unit, but playing them together would certainly give us our best half-court offensive unit and it would also help our current issues with defensive rebounding.

My 2 cents

I blame the slippery floor.
Did you notice it was only on Utep
side wear court was Slippery???

Also Refs gave a lot calls to Hawaii.

Verhoven is such a horrible free throw shooter that it might be too much of a liability to let him play in crunch time, the other teams could just foul him every time. He is an 11% free throw shooter this season and he was only a 54% free throw shooter last season.

Verhoven is such a horrible free throw shooter that it might be too much of a liability to let him play in crunch time, the other teams could just foul him every time. He is an 11% free throw shooter this season and he was only a 54% free throw shooter last season.
Doesn’t matter if your point guard can’t dribble with out tripping over his own feet or bouncing it off his legs.

Right, but it only killed them down the stretch. Especially those turnovers... Coaching deserves the blame. Why put him in, when he hasn't produced. Hawkins would have been the better option. Oh well, another loss.We expected the Miners to be improved, they are... But I don't see how they will be winning CUSA with ONLY Williams and poor coaching.
I was only able to catch the last 13 or so minutes of the game, and I wished I hadn't. Like others have mentioned, Lathon was a mess again. I thought the team played with energy on defense, but was just not able to withstand the late Hawaii run due to turnovers, and very poor offensive sets. Tough loss again, and very frustrating we were not able to take advantage of Hawaii's poor free throw shooting.

My 2 cents

Also Refs gave a lot calls to Hawaii.

That has been the norm for decades.

UTEP opponents for Jan to March 2020: Let Williams get his 30 plus points, shut down everyone else. Why? CRT appears to be holding in the reigns of all that firepower.

CRT, Haskins let Hardaway be Hardaway or any other great guards he had. He played his offense to their strengths, not vice versa. I. E., the "UTEP 2 STEP' was an offensive dribble drive maneuver employed by Hardaway be for the EuroStep was born.

Is there a reason why Terry doesn’t play Williams and Efe together? I understand needing one of them on the second unit, but playing them together would certainly give us our best half-court offensive unit and it would also help our current issues with defensive rebounding.

I appreciate where you're trying to go with this but let's be real. We have NO rebounders on the team. Maybe Tarke. But he gets to sit and rest for almost 40 minutes most game nights so it's really hard to tell.

And offensively? Again, Tarke is a better option at this point than Efi.

Doesn’t matter if your point guard can’t dribble with out tripping over his own feet or bouncing it off his legs.

I know your referencing Lathon, but what has surprised me is how much Archie struggles simply controlling his dribble.

We had at least 3 different guys fall down last night while dribbling and driving.

It’s incredible that we have a roster full of guys who can’t consistently shoot 3’s and some who struggle with dribbling. But I guess if you take away shooting, dribbling, and rebounding, then we have some good basketball players.

Last edited:
Rodney Terry got out coached in the last six minutes tonight. Never adjusted his offense against the zone, kept Villa in way too long when Tarke should have been in eating down low like Bryson did. Should have put this away tonight, tough loss to swallow. Felt like empty possessions and head scratching turnovers are becoming a consistent issue that is not getting corrected. Lathon should have been nowhere near the floor in the final six minutes, thought Hawkins brought good energy and deserved crunch time Minutes tonight. Wanted this one god dammit.
Outcoached by an assistant. Hawaii's head coach wasn't even on the bench last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT