ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs NMSU

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
Hawkins gets his 1st taste of the rivalry

McCants back in the lineup for the aggies.

My prediction is a much closer game...and that PT will foul out again (sorry for the sarcasm). Hoping to see Eze step up more.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Cut down TO's. Make free throw's. Rebound like (one n' done) hell and don't let them get hot from beyond the arc at any point.

Reactions: axingfools1
Hawkins gets his 1st taste of the rivalry

McCants back in the lineup for the aggies.

My prediction is a much closer game...and that PT will foul out again (sorry for the sarcasm). Hoping to see Eze step up more.

I hope you’re right on the first prediction. I know you’re right on the second prediction.

Haven’t seen the Miners play since the AZ game. Obviously missed the UNM game, but it didn’t get by me that most on here who saw the game said we played much better. I’m hoping to see some improved team chemistry...and a surprise dub would be the cherry on top.

Last edited:
Eze is playing really good defense. On the offensive end he needs to be fed above the rim. He is rolling off his defender in the lane and has been wide the f*%k open several times.

On a side note, Yellen stole my sh!t and called him the Big EZ.

I’m not watching just listening but if we cut down on the turnovers we will win this game.

Lost this game because NMSU pressure D was good and we didn't hit our FT's and PT(our senior) didn't give you anything.

I knew we would lose with about two minutes left. This game had that familiar "feel" to it. We mostly been on the losing end of these games for at least 8yrs now...

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I hope EL PASO gets behind this team.... this year is going to be a fun learning year.... they are getting better each and every game... its awesome to see some of these kids starting to gain confidence.... lathan, eze --- you can see they are starting to play with more confidence.... i wish mcgee would be more aggressive with his shot though... but everything else is completely on a different level since the first day... and then you realize what we have waiting in the wings..... man if those guys are as good as advertised we could be in for some awesome bball team next year!!

First half was contolled by refs too much. Lost by four. What takes four points off the table? Needless turnovers and missed FT's early and late. Gilyard under sixty percent from charity stripe? A player of his caliber?

I hope EL PASO gets behind this team.... this year is going to be a fun learning year.... they are getting better each and every game... its awesome to see some of these kids starting to gain confidence.... lathan, eze --- you can see they are starting to play with more confidence.... i wish mcgee would be more aggressive with his shot though... but everything else is completely on a different level since the first day... and then you realize what we have waiting in the wings..... man if those guys are as good as advertised we could be in for some awesome bball team next year!!
The TO's they make are hair pulling and I only have a patch of hair left.

FTs and turnovers did us in again. Much better defensive effort than earlier in the season. Next step for the young team is to learn how to win going down the stretch. Too many bad possessions. I thought Gilyard was at his best when he drove and dished. He needs to do more of that.

Me too. In all fairness I believe this is the first game of the season we didn’t get blown out vs a D1 team. If you’re including football point is well taken.

Yep. Several close losses on the gridiron this year. Add in the years of bb being on the losing end of close ones...it’s a bit demoralizing.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I think gilyard is just tired from all the minutes. That can have a big impact on FT's.

Agree with purple that McGee should be more involved, but something tells me that's a coaching decision. Feels like he's the one guard being left out more times than not, which may be an indication that he'll be the guy who'll make room for next year's class.

I like mcgee though. I feel like he could help us more than he's been able to so far

The young talent on this team is exciting but I think everybody is tired of losing in all sports. And again the free throws every year it seems the miners cannot shoot free throws.

Reactions: MinerMambo
Me too. In all fairness I believe this is the first game of the season we didn’t get blown out vs a D1 team. If you’re including football point is well taken.
Incorrect, game at New Mexico was close.

After having watched 3 games spaced out over the season, these are some of the things I see. Just opinions.

Hawkins has the potential to be really good. I have no doubt that he is no where near what will be his best. He is unafraid, but he is forcing things. As a young buck, he needs to let the game come to him more.

Lathon needs to go to the rim. Opposite of Hawkins, he needs to assert himself more. He has good body control and is strong enough to play near the rim. He’s a good finisher but we don’t get to see much of it.

Odigie has been a huge and pleasant surprise. It ain’t always pretty but he has a knack for finishing and grabbing boards. I may be getting ahead of myself, but when was the last time we had a freshman average a double double for the season?

Eze is coming around. His defense has taken huge strides in just a few short weeks, even though he got lost a couple times tonight. 9 boards in 19 minutes. Yes please! Why we don’t set him up for more easy buckets is beyond me. He was open all night long. Play this kid above the rim and let him throw it down.

Gilyard...please stay healthy. I was slow to get on his bandwagon last year but he is the glue of this team. He does it all. Love that at 5’ 10” he had 9 boards tonight...to go along with 18 pts. Just needs to get better at the line because otherwise he’s gonna leave a lot of points on the table as often as he’s gonna be at the stripe.

I feel comfortable with the ball in Magee’s hands but when the other team doesn’t have to respect his ability to score, it’s like being down a player. At least three times he looked like he was gonna jack the 3, then pulled back. He was open enough each time to pull the trigger. There’s a line where a player can be too unselfish...he’s crossed that line. Shoot the damn ball, kid.

I don’t wanna pile on the kid. I do think he works hard. I think his intentions have been in the right place. He’s been loyal. But damn, where did the PT from the second half of his sophomore season go? 5 points and 2 rebounds in 36 minutes tonight? As a senior? Not to mention the bone headed passes at critical moments. The fouls. Sigh!!!

Anybody else have some perspective/opinions on how these guys are coming along?

Biggest difference EXPERIENCE our kids just can't get consistent enough to win YET. But they have talent and are physical and one night this year that is going to all come together. Love that Gilyard he is wonder to watch and if he has more upside (which I think he does) get him with a supporting cast and it will be like watching Nate the Skate with a three point shot. We ain't back yet, but we be headed that a way!

Losing close games gets annoying, but it is pretty obvious those types of games are coming to an end really soon. This young team is improving quickly the calvary is finally coming next season.
Football is a completely different story.

I agree, this team is improving. And I hope you’re right that type of game is coming to an end soon.

I, as many of you, have had to hang my hat on so many moral victories for so damn long now. So when we come close, especially against the likes of NMSU, the hope elevates, every fiber of being wants the win so badly, then comes the puncture wound and all the air is let out yet again. Knowing ahead of time that this team was never gonna take the world by storm, doesn’t seem to ease the blow...at least while in the heat of the moment.

I don’t wanna pile on the kid. I do think he works hard. I think his intentions have been in the right place. He’s been loyal. But damn, where did the PT from the second half of his sophomore season go? 5 points and 2 rebounds in 36 minutes tonight? As a senior? Not to mention the bone headed passes at critical moments. The fouls. Sigh!!!
PT is a head scratcher. I thought PT was going to be our go to big man this season, but our true freshman big man Efe is playing like the senior out on the court.

Eze is playing really good defense. On the offensive end he needs to be fed above the rim. He is rolling off his defender in the lane and has been wide the f*%k open several times.

On a side note, Yellen stole my sh!t and called him the Big EZ.

Good call Fanatic, could not scream louder for the guards, especially Evan, to pass the ball to our big men. Most of the time they had their man backed up deep under the basket or like you said they would roll off their defender for a possible alley oop and nothing. Our guards were hellbent on driving it to the rim only to end up taking an off balance shot with our big waiting for that pass...very frustrating. Don’t get me wrong, I love Evan’s aggressiveness but if that pass is there, give it up.

Have you also noticed we NEVER get a fast break?

You guys have covered everything, pretty much. I would like to see Kobe play more. He has great control and passing skills. I too wish he's shoot more.
I agree that generating transition baskets would greatly benefit the team. I'm hoping that the length and athleticism of Lathon and Hawkins will eventually begin to pay dividends on the defensive end with steals and deflections. Gilyard can be a pesky on ball defender at times, but I don't see him as a guy who is going to generate too many steals. The hope is that as the team gains experience on the defensive end, including rebounding the ball better, that more transition buckets will come.

I would also hope that we could steal the ball and push it sometimes. Rebounding was better last night, but still nothing in transition. In the past, our pesky guards could steal it and away they would go....like Randy.

How is it that Campbell played more than Kobe? (at least it appeared that way) Sure looks like we will lose him next year. :(

Reactions: MinerMambo
NMSU had a lot to do with our offense, they are a lock down team and have so many players they can afford to pressure you all night. We did not handle it well as we fumbled a lot of passes and mishandled the ball, they were not always turnovers but they did crimp our offense.

Magee needs more playing time. Hawkins is getting thrown into the water before he’s ready to swim. The game was very winnable but Terry chose developing his guys over placing the priority on the win. As a fan that has personally seen UTEP lose to NMSU nine straight times. last night was very discouraging.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT