ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs NMSU

Magee needs more playing time. Hawkins is getting thrown into the water before he’s ready to swim. The game was very winnable but Terry chose developing his guys over placing the priority on the win. As a fan that has personally seen UTEP lose to NMSU nine straight times. last night was very discouraging.
I tend to agree on Hawkins. He looks shaky right now as the primary ball handler/PG. Also, he hasn't provided the outside shooting I was expecting. Still, Terry is really high on this kid, and he is just working his way back from the injury. In terms of defense, Hawkins is better than Magee just based on size and length. Plus, right now, it is pretty tough to score without Gilyard on the floor. Tough spot for Magee, who I really like as a role player.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Wow!
Everyone is making great points about our team and it's progress. I've observed all of the same things. I might only add that in defense of Hawkeye; his hand is probably not completely healed and I don't even know which hand it is. If it's the shooting hand????., he'll need some time to become the player we expect. He rarely takes outside shots which makes me think it is his shooting hand. Anyone know?
I would think Terry and the staff could see that Efe and Eze are being wasted by not feeding them, but for some reason they aren't.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
He misses them pretty consistently the entire game, not just towards the end of the game.

Very true. I'm sure at this point he's overthinking them
After having watched 3 games spaced out over the season, these are some of the things I see. Just opinions.

Hawkins has the potential to be really good. I have no doubt that he is no where near what will be his best. He is unafraid, but he is forcing things. As a young buck, he needs to let the game come to him more.

Lathon needs to go to the rim. Opposite of Hawkins, he needs to assert himself more. He has good body control and is strong enough to play near the rim. He’s a good finisher but we don’t get to see much of it.

Odigie has been a huge and pleasant surprise. It ain’t always pretty but he has a knack for finishing and grabbing boards. I may be getting ahead of myself, but when was the last time we had a freshman average a double double for the season?

Eze is coming around. His defense has taken huge strides in just a few short weeks, even though he got lost a couple times tonight. 9 boards in 19 minutes. Yes please! Why we don’t set him up for more easy buckets is beyond me. He was open all night long. Play this kid above the rim and let him throw it down.

Gilyard...please stay healthy. I was slow to get on his bandwagon last year but he is the glue of this team. He does it all. Love that at 5’ 10” he had 9 boards tonight...to go along with 18 pts. Just needs to get better at the line because otherwise he’s gonna leave a lot of points on the table as often as he’s gonna be at the stripe.

I feel comfortable with the ball in Magee’s hands but when the other team doesn’t have to respect his ability to score, it’s like being down a player. At least three times he looked like he was gonna jack the 3, then pulled back. He was open enough each time to pull the trigger. There’s a line where a player can be too unselfish...he’s crossed that line. Shoot the damn ball, kid.

I don’t wanna pile on the kid. I do think he works hard. I think his intentions have been in the right place. He’s been loyal. But damn, where did the PT from the second half of his sophomore season go? 5 points and 2 rebounds in 36 minutes tonight? As a senior? Not to mention the bone headed passes at critical moments. The fouls. Sigh!!!

Anybody else have some perspective/opinions on how these guys are coming along?

Paul has been a non factor UTEP. He had a decent So campaign but it looks to be a fluke. To be honest, he never looked great even during his better games. His defense is always suspect and foul happy, and even when he does score it rarely looks pretty.

I saw flashes of brilliance from gilyard last year, and this year has proven it was no fluke. With all our experinced players last year, it was Gilyard who was driving to the basket and making plays when we'd be down late in games. That's a true point guard. THAT'S a baller. Love the kid

Odigie is waaayyyy beyond where I'd thought he'd be. Let's keep this guy around all 4 years please.

Everyone else has looked as expected. They're talented kids who are still trying to figure the game out, while mostly playing older and similarly talented players. We don't have any Zion Williams, Barretts, or Mac Mclung type freshman who are going to come in and blow the doors off the roof, but they're still pretty darn good... and will only get better...

Have you also noticed we NEVER get a fast break?

You guys have covered everything, pretty much. I would like to see Kobe play more. He has great control and passing skills. I too wish he's shoot more.

It's probably for the same reason you don't see us play a lot of full-court press on defense. Most of our guys are playing near full games with little breaks, so a fast-paced game probably not great for those already tired legs

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
I would also hope that we could steal the ball and push it sometimes. Rebounding was better last night, but still nothing in transition. In the past, our pesky guards could steal it and away they would go....like Randy.

How is it that Campbell played more than Kobe? (at least it appeared that way) Sure looks like we will lose him next year. :(
Randy was a one of a kind!

Campbell was playing the 3 for Lathon when he had foul trouble. Kobe is backing up 1&2, but I think we are all starting to see the writing on the wall. Kobe was too hesitant when they needed him to score. He is a solid player, but what else does he bring that we don't have waiting in the wings. Boum isn't sitting on the bench behind Mcgee next year, guaranteed.

I get what you are saying, but IMHO, you should find a way to play Kobe more since he does have experience and doesn't turn the ball over.
Then we have Thomas who plays most of the game for no damn reason. I'd rather see Diles play.
Ehh....if I knew what to do, I would be a coach. I am clueless, therefore I am a fan....

Reactions: MINER.JAY
After having watched 3 games spaced out over the season, these are some of the things I see. Just opinions.

Odigie has been a huge and pleasant surprise. It ain’t always pretty but he has a knack for finishing and grabbing boards. I may be getting ahead of myself, but when was the last time we had a freshman average a double double for the season?

Anybody else have some perspective/opinions on how these guys are coming along?

When was the last time that any UTEP player averaged a double double regardless of classification?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT