ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs Rice

Just got home from the game. Enjoyed reading the thread.

We MUST get to the line more.

I officially hate our defense where our big nearly comes all the way out to half court to defend a guard. It tires out our bigs and leaves the lane wide open.

Our blocking out is bad and our bigs are usually out of position for defensive rebounding.

I wish CJG would let the team offensive rebound. It's non existent.

Kennedy played really well off the bench. I just wished he had thrown it down on that steal on the fast break late in the 2nd half. Crowd would have gone crazy.

Boum is hitting big shots late.

JB snakes into the lane and then bangs his layups off the backboard way too hard. 10 assists though!

Onyema played a fabulous 3-4 minute stretch there in the 2nd half. I liked the pick and role and inbound lob attempt. He forced 3 fouls on Feidler in about 45 seconds. Let's get him 15 minutes coach?

Great block by Tydus at the end. No way that was a foul.
I like the defense and it’s employed by many D1 programs, especially in slowing down slashing point guards. It shut down Rice’ Evee tonight. Now, I will admit Rice got some good pic n rolls off it but the UTEP D shut it down for many crucial 2nd half minutes that allowed a comeback. I think the post game show said Rice was scoreless for several minutes allowing UTEP to tie it up.

It was good to see more inside lob or pass to our big men tonight and that Oneyma stuff was for the UTEP history video books.

Those Bienemy shots were going in like butter all February. They just didn’t the last two games.

The CUSA ref problem needs addressed by the league. This has been going on for so long that CUSA fans parody their horrid inconsistency. Ticky Tak one series then an uncalled mugging the next. The constant no traveling calls on Rice was frustrating. They only called two or three. You can slide your feet on the play ground but in college basketball the pivot foot has to be that, on a pivot, not a slide. Rice coach was mouthing off constantly under 5 minutes the entire time as Rice struggled against UTEP D, but yet Hollins gets T’d up for a nonsensical call?

EVEE was also a victim of Rice's own strategy which was to shut down Boum by all means possible. Chasing Boum all night took his legs and he had little left at the end. When Boum wasn't in he had to chase Agnew and playing point, guarding and having to chase all night did him in as well.

EVEE was also a victim of Rice's own strategy which was to shut down Boum by all means possible. Chasing Boum all night took his legs and he had little left at the end. When Boum wasn't in he had to chase Agnew and playing point, guarding and having to chase all night did him in as well.
Good point.

Side note from last nights post game with Teicher, Coach Golding stated last night “[I thought]..it’s going in..” regarding the half court desperate shot by Rice.

At the game and watching the replay it was straight on and if it has a bit more arc would have banked in.......what a downer that would have been, Rice made a lot of threes and many when guarded closely banking in a desperation 3 from half court would have been the icing on the cake (for them)

Reactions: axingfools1
At the game and watching the replay it was straight on and if it has a bit more arc would have banked in.......what a downer that would have been, Rice made a lot of threes and many when guarded closely banking in a desperation 3 from half court would have been the icing on the cake (for them)
Rice made a LOT of their shots with our guys in their face.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Anybody else besides Steve, think the shot by Pierre at the 5 second mark was deflected and should have been a RICE ball?

Anybody else besides Steve, think the shot by Pierre at the 5 second mark was deflected and should have been a RICE ball?

Not sure but I thought there was contact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
Pierre showed his

Not sure but I think there was contact.
I was driving back from playing in a soccer game so I was listening to the radio show. Steve swore he saw Sibley deflect the shot and it was going to be RICE Ball for the last possession. I logged in here, the RICE board, and on the CUSA board expecting drama but on the CBS broadcast it was a non issue.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I clearly remember it. That shot was a bad shot. Second, a player at this level knows when his shot is deflected even with a birds feather. Third, Rice would have gone ape shat.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT