ADVERTISEMENT

Utepathletics twitter getting called out

Unbelievable

Embarrassing

I don't know where to begin with this. PR Nightmare.

Just another ring in the circus.

We lost one player (allegedly) due to the local media. It would just be great if we were the first to lose one because of Twitter.

Re: Somebody needs to get fired. This total BS. Bad Pub

EP Chi is probably in charge of that twitter account lol

Same guy who has the old New Mexico Bowl shirts for full price on the UTEP website!

Turns out it was Senior Associate Athletic Director Jeff Darby. Darby has apologized for the tweets.

He posted 2 tweets:

"Vince Hunter needs to stop protesting every call against him and just play. #minerstrong"

"Talked to 13 NBA scouts here and the concenses is Vince Hunter lacks the perimeter game to play at the next level. #minerstrong."

He's apologizing and taking his foot out of his mouth. He should resign tomorrow.

Funny how you guys are saying what a nightmare this is, but you guys have been saying the same damn thing on here all year...what's the difference?

Washburn obviously wasn't cut out for UTEP basketball. Seriously, who cares about TCU basketball? However, what was tweeted was a poor decision, but it's been that kind of year. Coaches and players (other than Lang) totally underachieved.

Originally posted by PURPLEFIRE:
Funny how you guys are saying what a nightmare this is, but you guys have been saying the same damn thing on here all year...what's the difference?
The difference is we are just message board idiots. We have screen names.

This is the official UTEP Athletics Twitter feed that is ran by the Senior Associate Athletic Director. He's kind of a big deal. So when the official feed calls out its own players like its a message board, that is a disgrace. If you coached a team that was going after the same recruit, all that kid needs to know is that the Athletic Department doesn't have his back. Jeff Darby travels with the team. He is the go to guy for this program home and away.

Major difference. I am really not sure what your trying to say Purple, but there is no way you can defend or support this.

Purplefire will defend anything UTEP. He has shown that he is incapable of rational thoughts. He can't see the difference? Lol. Truly a person who does not get out much.

Listen Purple, it's like when you're at home by yourself, you can say whatever you want. You can't go to work and say those same things. Is it really that hard to understand?

For Purple:
We are not employees of the University of Texas at El Paso. Least, I'm not.

This post was edited on 3/18 11:27 AM by UTEPy79

THE SOLUTION

The guy in charge of the Twitter account has to resign, Tim Floyd has to resign(bring back Billy Gilliespy), Bob Stull has to resign so does Gramma Natalicio.

UTEP has grown by leaps and bounds under Natalicio. Athletics has stagnated, but to be honest, athletics should only be in Natalicio's mind 1% of the time.

The two items that Darby tweeted, about Vince Hunter spending too much time complaining about foul calls and that he needs a midrange game in order to compete in the NBA, are dead on. And these are items that Hunter needs to hear. But he needs to hear it from one of his coaches in a private setting. The school, using its official UTEP Twitter account, should not be publicly throwing one of their players under the bus. This will eventually go away and be forgotten, but right now it is an embarassment and has the potential to hurt us.

Originally posted by MinerManiac:
The two items that Darby tweeted, about Vince Hunter spending too much time complaining about foul calls and that he needs a midrange game in order to compete in the NBA, are dead on. And these are items that Hunter needs to hear. But he needs to hear it from one of his coaches in a private setting. The school, using its official UTEP Twitter account, should not be publicly throwing one of their players under the bus. This will eventually go away and be forgotten, but right now it is an embarassment and has the potential to hurt us.
...which is why Darby needs to be shown the door.

"I made a tremendous mistake on Tuesday night. There's no excuse and I feel just terrible. I have apologized to coach (Tim) Floyd, Vince (Hunter) and Bob Stull. Any criticism coming my way is completely warranted," Darby said in the statement. "While I have worked in college athletics for 25 years, it is clear that I still have much to learn. I promise to grow from this experience and always portray UTEP Athletics and Miner Basketball in a positive light moving forward."

Jeff Darby Article

Originally posted by kickballpro:
"I made a tremendous mistake on Tuesday night. There's no excuse and I feel just terrible. I have apologized to coach (Tim) Floyd, Vince (Hunter) and Bob Stull. Any criticism coming my way is completely warranted," Darby said in the statement. "While I have worked in college athletics for 25 years, it is clear that I still have much to learn. I promise to grow from this experience and always portray UTEP Athletics and Miner Basketball in a positive light moving forward."
I bet he will skate on this .

Originally posted by nattybry:
National Media making Utep look really bad, Not good for recruiting at all!
Did you not read the first comment from the person that started this thread?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT