ADVERTISEMENT

UTEPMBB🏀 @ LA Tech

Shut down or slow down Cobe Williams. Williams is their Boum. If they do that UTEP has a chance. Don't let them go off from the 3.

Rebounds are going to be hard to come by. Junior is a board hog. If we can get up and down the floor quickly maybe we can wear him down in the 2nd half. Also shoot at a high percentage to give fewer rebounding opportunities for LaTech.

Not too confident that Verhoeven can hold his own against Lofton. Hope I’m wrong. When was the last time we beat La Tech? Especially on their floor. Probably more recent than I can recollect, but they seem to have our number.
We did a good job limiting Lofton's points in the last game but he chewed us up in rebounds. TV plays tough against Tech but I don't espect much from our other bigs. If only Z would start to click on defense but that might be asking too much for this year. Also, big KK needs to get tougher on rebounding and holding on to the ball.

Not too confident that Verhoeven can hold his own against Lofton. Hope I’m wrong. When was the last time we beat La Tech? Especially on their floor. Probably more recent than I can recollect, but they seem to have our number.

Not to mention that Lofton gets homer calls all night long. Tydus is playing Lofton and the zebras.

We did a good job limiting Lofton's points in the last game but he chewed us up in rebounds. TV plays tough against Tech but I don't espect much from our other bigs. If only Z would start to click on defense but that might be asking too much for this year. Also, big KK needs to get tougher on rebounding and holding on to the ball.
I think this is the matchup that should at least be given a good look at.

I know Onyema is not the best defender at this point in his career, however, I think Z can pose a different set of problems for Lofton than TV can, in several ways. One, the speed/quickness factor to some extent neutralizes Lofton’s fundamentals. Lofton is a lot of things, however quick/fast is not among them. Two, this is one big that Onyema comes in about the same height as. Z tears the ball down when rebounding, which is necessary with the strength Lofton plays with. He must have ripped 3 or 4 boards out of TV’s hands one game last year. And three, Z doesn’t let people push him around. Lofton will have to really work to get the position he wants. Now, Onyema may foul out, however I would at least give that matchup a go and see how it works out.

I know Onyema is not the best defender at this point in his career, however, I think Z can pose a different set of problems for Lofton than TV can, in several ways. One, the speed/quickness factor to some extent neutralizes Lofton’s fundamentals. Lofton is a lot of things, however quick/fast is not among them. Two, this is one big that Onyema comes in about the same height as. Z tears the ball down when rebounding, which is necessary with the strength Lofton plays with. He must have ripped 3 or 4 boards out of TV’s hands one game last year. And three, Z doesn’t let people push him around. Lofton will have to really work to get the position he wants. Now, Onyema may foul out, however I would at least give that matchup a go and see how it works out.
I agree on trying Onyema on Lofton as well. Whether it is TV or someone else, UTEP is going to double Lofton as much as possible. The doubling worked on Lofton the first game in limited his points, unfortunately it left other guys open and they killed us. Lofton is a guy you have to send help on, and try to keep him off the offensive boards.

I agree on trying Onyema on Lofton as well. Whether it is TV or someone else, UTEP is going to double Lofton as much as possible. The doubling worked on Lofton the first game in limited his points, unfortunately it left other guys open and they killed us. Lofton is a guy you have to send help on, and try to keep him off the offensive boards.
Agree. The double team limited Lofton’s point production. And we do have to defensive rebound because he still got 4 offensive boards on us last game. We can’t be giving up that many 2nd chance point opportunities. We can’t overcome that with our sometimes anemic offense.

Williams is really the one who picked up the slack and kicked our asses offensively, scoring 7-8 above his season average. Then they had a balanced attack with like 6-7 guys score 5-6 points.

We can beat LaTech, even on their floor, but I think it’ll take one of our better games of the season to do so.

Good points and I agree. Z seems to lose his focus after he's done something good offensively. If CJG can get him to focus on defense and let the rest of the team worry about offense, it'll help him concentrate.

Last edited:
Good points and I agree. Z seems to lose his focus after he's done something good offensively. If CJG can get him to focus on defense and let the rest of the team worry about offense, it'll help him concentrate.
True, and still very foul prone. He needs to get that under better control. I think once he captures his game and has a breakout there will be no looking back. I'm hoping it's soon and sometime this year, but not holding my breath either.

Why not play 2 bigs at once (with TV at the 4 and Z at the 5) and play Sibley at the 3 to start or sometime during the game. Satterfield can come off the bench for shooting if needed.

Reactions: MinerManiac
Lofton destroyed us on the boards last game, and here we've already let him an offensive board that he should never have been allowed to get. If we can't keep LA Tech off of their offensive boards it may be a long night

Defenses are playing well. Like I said it's a low scoring half, and now each side has force a shot click violation

Reactions: Lil_Train
These two are battling hard. La Tech with good hands on D and UTEP playing good D in the paint and Lofton bad shot to end half showed that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT