ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Rodney Terry

The Sun Bowl going to get 50-60 million dollar upgrade. I don't think there are any plans for the Don as of now. The Haskins center needs some seats removed. The top half of seats in sections behind the baseline need to be removed. Those seats produce no revenue. Make those spaces lounges or suites but make them revenue producing areas. 8000 seats is about the perfect size. Cut the student section in half create there hasn't been a student section in over a decade. Raise prices of the remaining seats about 5-10% enough to generate a bump in revenue but not enough of an increase for people to complain about.
Never thought of reducing, but like that idea in favor of suites, but maybe 10,000. A winning Miner team will get 10,000 we know that.

Another reason why he could have chosen UTEP is because of our history as a stepping stone to the P5. Prior to TF we had a nice little farm system going with the prior three coaches finding higher profile jobs. Take UTEP to the NCAA earn a P5 job.

Welcome coach! Hoping you can keep the nucleus of this current team together. Hoping that the two 6'11" redshirts you recruited at Fresno transfer to UTEP! Hoping you don't let the
omnipresent trolls in this community get under your skin. Hope we sell out the Don this season to show you what El Paso can be. You made a great choice.
What can you tell us about the 6'11" recruits?

I think he sees a much easier path to conference championships. In the MWC SDSU, UNLV and UNM have the ability to be legit national contenders. If somehow the MWC gets Gonzaga, St Mary's and GCU they would add three more schools Fresno could never catch. In C-USA WKU has the most tradition and pedigree but nowhere the upside of the top three MWC schools. For the money we throw at basketball we should be able to compete in C-USA. We would have the same problems as Fresno in the MWC, but in a very weak c-usa Terry can build a perrenial contender in very short order.
And if we go to the MW?

The Sun Bowl going to get 50-60 million dollar upgrade. I don't think there are any plans for the Don as of now. The Haskins center needs some seats removed. The top half of seats in sections behind the baseline need to be removed. Those seats produce no revenue. Make those spaces lounges or suites but make them revenue producing areas. 8000 seats is about the perfect size. Cut the student section in half create there hasn't been a student section in over a decade. Raise prices of the remaining seats about 5-10% enough to generate a bump in revenue but not enough of an increase for people to complain about.

I would think it would be tough to build suites in The Don whitout having to do some sort of major modification to the structure since it was never meant to handle that sort of addition. There is a lot of dead space above the seats but im sure that would be tough.

I saw where Gallagher-Iba arena added suites and expanded but because the arena was so old they built around the old arena and knocked out the origial roof to open up the arena.

Fresno States' Save Mart Center sounds like a great venue. I looked it up. But the Bulldogs can't average more than a third full even with a winning team. Coaches and players both want to feel the fans and administration are behind them. Sounds to me like Coach Terry is gambling on UTEP and El Paso supporting his efforts better than Fresno. So are we?

I would think it would be tough to build suites in The Don whitout having to do some sort of major modification to the structure since it was never meant to handle that sort of addition. There is a lot of dead space above the seats but im sure that would be tough.

I saw where Gallagher-Iba arena added suites and expanded but because the arena was so old they built around the old arena and knocked out the origial roof to open up the arena.

If not suites even some cabanas like Mississippi State sells for football games would work. Anything that generates revenue and improves the in game experience.

If not suites even some cabanas like Mississippi State sells for football games would work. Anything that generates revenue and improves the in game experience.

I’m sure a lot of it comes down to money. Why spend tens of millions for suites that will take years to recoup the investment? If anything I think they should renovate and add retractable seating and reinforce the beams so they can have bigger concerts/events in the arena. If the city is going to mess up this whole downtown arena then maybe UTEP should take the initiative.

City has already messed up the arena, thanks to a few dumba..,s.Lets get the sun bowl fixed, then work on the Don. It’s still serviceable, but I believe UTEP needs to get football generating money to take care of the sports.

All I want to say is if you’re gonna close the freeway, have a plan. Telling the public to ‘be patient’ while sitting in I-10 for 2 hours isn’t an effective plan.

I don't see the same thing everyone else does in Gilyard. I think he'd be the easiest to replace of this last year's newcomers, and I'd rather get another true point guard to complement Magee who can utilize the talent around him.

Wouldn't mind being wrong though if it means success for UTEP.

Reactions: TW3miner
All I want to say is if you’re gonna close the freeway, have a plan. Telling the public to ‘be patient’ while sitting in I-10 for 2 hours isn’t an effective plan.

I've always thought they should build another separate highway through the city before closing and upgrading the original, but that might be too expensive.

I believe Terry is the first coach we have hired that has a verified Twitter account. Time to update your page coach.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Here’s Terry’s progression from year to year.

In 2012 RPI of 230 good enough for 7/8 in the WAC had he competed in CUSA that would be good for 11th.

In 2013 RPI of 135. A major upgrade from his first season. Ranked 8/9 in the MW. Would have been 7th in CUSA.

In 2014 RPI of 120. 6/11 in the MW. Good for 6th in CUSA.

In 2015 RPI of 183. 8/11 in the MW. 6th in CUSA.

In 2016 RPI of 65. 2/11 in MW. That RPI would have given him #1 in CUSA! Ahead of 1st place MTSU (78)

In 2017 RPI of 76. 4/11 in MW. Good for 2nd in CUSA behind MTSU (35) and ahead of Marshall (112).

In 2018 RPI of 103. 5/11 in MW. Would have also put him in 5th in CUSA.

If he has similar results in El Paso then we can expect the first two years to be in the bottom of the standings but making progress. Year 3-4 should get us to the middle of the pack. With the possibility of making a run in one of the C tournaments. By year 5-6 we should be competing for conference titles or conference tournament championships.

In 2012 RPI of 230 good enough for 7/8 in the WAC had he competed in CUSA that would be good for 11th.

In 2013 RPI of 135. A major upgrade from his first season. Ranked 8/9 in the MW. Would have been 7th in CUSA.

In 2016 RPI of 65. 2/11 in MW. That RPI would have given him #1 in CUSA! Ahead of 1st place MTSU (78)

In 2017 RPI of 76. 4/11 in MW. Good for 2nd in CUSA behind MTSU (35) and ahead of Marshall (112).

If he has similar results in El Paso then we can expect the first two years to be in the bottom of the standings but making progress. Year 3-4 should get us to the middle of the pack. With the possibility of making a run in one of the C tournaments. By year 5-6 we should be competing for conference titles or conference tournament championships.
I think solid improvement can be much faster than his first years at FSU due to the fact that they were just coming off probation and had 4 losing seasons in a row when he got there.

And for contrast this is what TF did in the same span.

2012 RPI of 147 7/12 in CUSA. In the MW that RPI puts you 7/8.

2013 RPI: 96. 3/12 in CUSA. 8/9 in the MW.

2014 RPI: 95. 5/16 CUSA. 4/11 in MW.

2015 RPI: 79. 3/14 CUSA. 5/11 MW.

2016 RPI: 215. 7/14 CUSA. 10/11 MW.

2017 RPI: 222. 7/14 CUSA. 10/11MW.

2018 RPI: 293 11/14 CUSA. 11/11 MW.

Floyd’s middle of the road seasons in CUSA would be almost dead last in MW. One of his better season where he finished 3rd in CUSA would be good for 8th out 9 in the MW.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Huh? I would think UTEP has the most tradition and pedigree but what do I know?

If you Don't build on tradition it dies. Ours is dead and burried since 66 we had a nice seven year run in the eighties and early nineties outside of that we've done nothing. We have the potential to be a good basketball program, but right now WKU has the most tradition rich conference in c-usa. Through the years WKU has been consistent, we have 66 and that's about ii. We've been especially bad the last quarter of century. There's no reason that can't change but until we build tradition ours is dead.

Reactions: UTEP Grade
I think solid improvement can be much faster than his first years at FSU due to the fact that they were just coming off probation and had 4 losing seasons in a row when he got there.

If all of the young guys transfer we could be starting in a similar or worse position. I really hope Terry can get them to stay

If you Don't build on tradition it dies. Ours is dead and burried since 66 we had a nice seven year run in the eighties and early nineties outside of that we've done nothing. We have the potential to be a good basketball program, but right now WKU has the most tradition rich conference in c-usa. Through the years WKU has been consistent, we have 66 and that's about ii. We've been especially bad the last quarter of century. There's no reason that can't change but until we build tradition ours is dead.
Sorry but if you think 66 is all we have then you've missed a lot of really good UTEP basketball. I'm glad that Terry is aware of our tradition and wants to build on it.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Sorry but if you think 66 is all we have then you've missed a lot of really good UTEP basketball. I'm glad that Terry is aware of our tradition and wants to build on it.

Outside of a seven year stretch in the eighties and early nineties there is nothing to write home about. I want us to win, I want us to matter. However, the inflation of our basketball tradition has hurt the athletic program more than anything.

Reactions: UTEP Grade
Haskins was a great coach who fell in love with El Paso and made his career here. He really spoiled us as fans and UTEP as a school. It would really be difficult to find a coach these days who'll make his career here. We've seen the coaches who have made UTEP a stepping stone. Gillespie, Sadler and Barbee all succeeded here and left after a few seasons. I think Tim Floyd came here to end out his career and retire. The grief he got at USC probably burned him out. He came back home to UTEP, but the fire in the belly to succeed was gone, IMO. We ought to find someone, if Terry is it that's great, who will make the program his own and successful and stay here longer than just a couple of years.

I unlike this post.

Just did the research and found that Western Kentucky has no national basketball championships and has been to the NCAA tourney a grand total of 23 times with a record of 19 - 24. A winning percentage of 44%.

UTEP has a Natinal Championship and has been to the tournament a grand total of 17 times and has a combined record of 14 - 16. A 47% winning percentage.

I must say that our National Championship and the ramifications of that championship give UTEP the edge. Gentlemen?

We’ve had discussions at great length over on the CUSA board as to who is the better basketball program between WKU and UTEP. Could have really used more UTEP voices on our side. As it stands now only a couple of UTEP fans post over there.

I unlike this post.

Just did the research and found that Western Kentucky has no national basketball championships and has been to the NCAA tourney a grand total of 23 times with a record of 19 - 24. A winning percentage of 44%.

UTEP has a Natinal Championship and has been to the tournament a grand total of 17 times and has a combined record of 14 - 16. A 47% winning percentage.

I must say that our National Championship and the ramifications of that championship give UTEP the edge. Gentlemen?

+1

WELCOME INDEED!
I get the feeling that you have fire in your belly and visions of greatness again at UTEP. I will be anxiously awaiting your preparations for the first year and I'm certain that you have a plan for recovery. Hope you can grab some talent to get the job done.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT