ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Rodney Terry

Dude, I've been very mellow regarding your posts even though I think you are way over the top sometimes....

707bef512b30f8cb3f31b08c5534abd0.gif

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Congrats on the hire. Hopefully Coach Terry can get Miner basketball back to where it once was. When he does, then we get our rivalry back the way it should be: A fun, exciting, good close game with lots a fan involvement. Good luck guys.

Aggies Fan.
Very well said !!! Look forward to the heated rivalry once again. Best wishes in the NCAA Tourney Aggies !!!

Reactions: WordMiner and Trod0

We've always went by the mantra we're a "basketball school. It doesn't matter about the other sports because basketball is what we're known for. People have acted like we're a blueblood when we are the furthest thing from it. 66 was great a great accomplishment and social turning point. However, we hung on hat on it like that one moment made us a basketball school and gave us blue blood legacy. In reality we're a one hit wonder, an anomoly in the history books. We're in a weird club with Loyola and San Francisco schools who won natinal championships and did little afterwards.

On paper our basketball program is not that impressive. Outside of the eighties, when we went to the tournament six times, we have went to the tourney twice in every decade since the sixties. We haven't been able to build a consistent winner.

The last quarter of century has been really bad. Only three tourney appearances. People brag about our attendance. That's great averaging 6000 in a down year. The problem is that 70% of the fans are over 65. The season ticket base is dying off and no one is replacing them. People under 30 can't remember a time UTEP basketball was relevant. Attendance will fall off a cliff if something drastic isn't done immediately. This will be very a challenging issue since we play in a one bid league with a meaningless regular season.

The problem with inflating our tradition is that we sacrifice other sports most importantly football. We throw absurd amounts of money at a bad sport that isn't helping us with our overall profile. When the MWC was formed they didn't want UTEP basketball. It's become a money pit where we burn money and cling to a glorious past that outside of 66 doesn't exist. We bring in a disgraced coach because he was a link to the past. We aren't a basketball school. No basketball school only goes the tourney three times in a quarter century. There is no tradition or pedigree it's all long dead. To the outside world UTEP basketball doesn't mean anything.

In saying all that, UTEP should absolutely be good at basketball. However, a tradition will have to be built from scratch. We can't have our heads in the sand and convince ourselves we have tradition and pedigree. We have to live in the real world and realize we aren't a basketball school and our program is opperating in total obscurity. We should be good at basketball but its going to take a plan and hard work. Building the basketball program will be harder than the football program because we play in a one bid league. We can build a hoops program but we has to stop living in in denial and deal in reality. The over inflation of UTEP basketball tradition has dug us further and further into a rut for the last quarter century.

Last edited:
We've always went by the mantra we're a "basketball school. It doesn't matter about the other sports because basketball is what we're known for. People have acted like we're a blueblood when we are the furthest thing from it. 66 was great a great accomplishment and social turning point. However, we hung on hat on it like that one moment made us a basketball school and gave us blue blood legacy. In reality we're a one hit wonder, an anomoly in the history books. We're in a weird club with Loyola and San Francisco schools who won natinal championships and did little afterwards.

On paper our basketball program is not that impressive. Outside of the eighties, when we went to the tournament six times, we have went to the tourney twice in every decade since the sixties. We haven't been able to build a consistent winner.

The last quarter of century has been really bad. Only three tourney appearances. People brag about our attendance. That's great averaging 6000 in a down year. The problem is that 70% of the fans are over 65. The season ticket base is dying off and no one is replacing them. People under 30 can't remember a time UTEP basketball was relevant. Attendance will fall off a cliff if something drastic isn't done immediately. This will be very a challenging issue since we play in a one bid league with a meaningless regular season.

The problem with inflating our tradition is that we sacrifice other sports most importantly football. We throw absurd amounts of money at a bad sport that isn't helping us with our overall profile. When the MWC was formed they didn't want UTEP basketball. It's become a money pit where we burn money and cling to a glorious past that outside of 66 doesn't exist. We bring in a disgraced coach because he was a link to the past. We aren't a basketball school. No basketball school only goes the tourney three times in a quarter century. There is no tradition or pedigree it's all long dead. To the outside world UTEP basketball doesn't mean anything.

In saying all that, UTEP should absolutely be good at basketball. However, a tradition will have to be built from scratch. We can't have our heads in the sand and convince ourselves we have tradition and pedigree. We have to live in the real world and realize we aren't a basketball school and our program is opperating in total obscurity. We should be good at basketball but its going to take a plan and hard work. Building the basketball program will be harder than the football program because we play in a one bid league. We can build a hoops program but we has to stop living in in denial and deal in reality. The over inflation of UTEP basketball tradition has dug further and further into a rut for the last quarter century.
You're are actually both right and wrong at the same time. Your right a new Tradition needs to be started and we can't dwell in the past. Your wrong that Utep does not have a Basketball Tradition. Haskins is a Legend not only winning a Title at a small West Texas School, but winning on a very consistent basis until his last years! He's in the Hall of Fame for a reason. Due to Haskins we are known to the ones who know College Basketball History. However you are right again it is Ancient history and not relevant any longer and we have to start looking to making future success not hanging on to yesteryear. So I agree with u yet also politely disagree with some of your points. However I hope for a new age of consistent NCAA appearances, knowing it will be though unless Terry gets a team he thinks can win Major road games before conference and then dominate CUSA. Can it be done.... Yes its exactly what Gonzaga and Wichita St. did. Will it happen?, lets see! Welcome to the Terry Era!!! Go Miners!!!

In saying all that, UTEP should absolutely be good at basketball. However, a tradition will have to be built from scratch. We can't have our heads in the sand and convince ourselves we have tradition and pedigree. We have to live in the real world and realize we aren't a basketball school and our program is opperating in total obscurity. We should be good at basketball but its going to take a plan and hard work. Building the basketball program will be harder than the football program because we play in a one bid league. We can build a hoops program but we has to stop living in in denial and deal in reality. The over inflation of UTEP basketball tradition has dug us further and further into a rut for the last quarter century.

I agree with most of what you said, however i think we are indeed a "basketball school". We CERTAINLY aren't a football school, and the lack of bball accomplishments you speak of could be said 100 fold about our football tradition.

There is absolutely nothing we do that sacrifices football. There isn't a single shred of historical evidence that would even remotely suggest we could produce a consistent winner, even if we made it our top priority.

Either way, I'd rather have the opportunity to play for it all in a tournament where you make your own destiny. We could go undefeated in football, and still never get anything more than an Alamo bowl invite...

One name. Marshall. Tell them to stop living in the past. They'll then tell you where you can....well, you know?

Anyone have details on his contract? Is he getting paid more than at Fresno St? Does he have a buyout clause?

Anyone have details on his contract? Is he getting paid more than at Fresno St? Does he have a buyout clause?
This is not confirmed, but when I asked that question I was told similar to Dana Dimel. So I'm thinking 700K Both Football and Basketball are pretty low comparatively speaking in CUSA to some of the higher paid coaches, but I'm sure its very incentive based. Unlike other schools in our Conf, if they win then they will reach those incentives and be around a Million. No official word has been released so not sure yet about buy out.

Reactions: JCorona
No buyout. However, he was not UTEP's first choice. Their first choice, Steve Forbes, did have a buyout (he is on public record saying UTEP did offer him the job but he turned it down).

No buyout. However, he was not UTEP's first choice. Their first choice, Steve Forbes, did have a buyout (he is on public record saying UTEP did offer him the job but he turned it down).
I didn’t express myself properly. Does Terry have a buyout clause in his new contract with UTEP? Or are we making the same mistake Fresno St did?

Yeah figured it was Steve Forbes job had he wanted it. Why hasn't details been released. I mean at Bigger schools as soon as a coach is hired its released. Is it 700K that I've been hearing or less or more?

According to the KFOX town hall, Terry was not able to reach Evan Gilyard last week.

Unless Evan went to a small remote town in Northern Canada, sounds like he could be looking elsewhere.

Yeah figured it was Steve Forbes job had he wanted it. Why hasn't details been released. I mean at Bigger schools as soon as a coach is hired its released. Is it 700K that I've been hearing or less or more?
I think his new contract is $200,000 less than UTEP, but I think they loaded with incentives. Article didn't go into details.

This is a hard job. This is a sport we have thrown more money into than any other cusa school over the last decade. We've got nothing back on our investment. Terry's lack of player development and over reliance on transfers doomed him to failure right off the bat. It was never going to work. I was high on Terry especially after the Dimel debacle. I was wrong. I'm cautiously optimistic about Golding. However, I realize this is a very difficult job with structural issues than exist that need to be fixed regardless of the coach.

Last edited:
This is a hard job. This is a sport we have thrown more money into than any other cusa school over the last decade. We've got nothing back on our investment. Terry's lack of player development and over reliance on transfers doomed him to failure right off the bat. It was never going to work. I was high on Terry especially after the Dimel debacle. I was wrong. I'm cautiously optimistic about Golding. However, I realize this is a very difficult job with structural issues than exist that need to be fixed regardless of the coach.
It’s not a hard job though. Senter said he had several coaches making over $1,000,000 per season inquirie about it. If everyone thought it was a hard job, they wouldn’t have asked about it.

Reactions: kickballpro
This was someone’s reply

Dude, I've been very mellow regarding your posts even though I think you are way over the top sometimes....

could it have been I was correct ? Hmmmm...
Your choice this time around was Tang correct?

I wanted Barbee or Tang 2nd. Golding was my 3rd pick. I think it's gonna be all or nothing with Golding. He seems like a really hard worker, but I'm still worried about recruiting and offense. Time will tell.

I had no clue that Terry was a poor Xs and Os coach

Last edited:

I wanted Barbee or Tang 2nd. Golding was my 3rd pick. I think it's gonna be all or nothing with Golding. He seems like a really hard worker, but I'm still worried about recruiting and offense. Time will tell.

I had Barbee, Golding, and Jans. It is critical that Golding puts together a capable staff. I thought that was a major failure on Terry's part, especially after losing Lamont Smith. Golding's top assistant at ACU is obviously no longer an option. I thought both Barbee and Jans were probably more likely to put together a stronger staff quickly based on their experience. I'm wondering if Golding will retain Matson as an assistant in the hopes of keeping the few Terry holdover players that remain. Any chance at even a break even season next year depends on keeping Boum, Agnew, Kennedy, and Agnew.

I had Barbee, Golding, and Jans. It is critical that Golding puts together a capable staff. I thought that was a major failure on Terry's part, especially after losing Lamont Smith. Golding's top assistant at ACU is obviously no longer an option. I thought both Barbee and Jans were probably more likely to put together a stronger staff quickly based on their experience. I'm wondering if Golding will retain Matson as an assistant in the hopes of keeping the few Terry holdover players that remain. Any chance at even a break even season next year depends on keeping Boum, Agnew, Kennedy, and Agnew.
I'm like you I had Barbee as my top choice followed by Golding. My concern with Golding is that he won't be joined by his longtime assistant Tanner. According to reports it was Tanner who designed and installed the defense that has been intregal to ACU's recent success. For the first time Golding will be without Tanner. I thinks he's smart but how does he do without the architect of his defense. When you play a gimmicky defense like they do at ACU it's a great equalizer. It's like running the option in football you don't have to have the best recruits and it's a pain in ass to prepare for.

When asked about gameplan, Golding basically said that he will adjust on the fly. I took that as he will conform to his player's styles and try to make the most of it for now. I assume that in the long run he will try to implement a certain style and recruit to that style, but we may not see the same style of defense from ACU. It's a lot of trust that Senter and Wilson are putting into Golding.

Yeah I wanted tang... but Golding was choice 2 .... so pretty fired up about this one even though not my number one choice

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT