ADVERTISEMENT

What a difference a coach makes.

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
UTEP is better this season even though they lost BW.

They have improved through the season. I still think they will have bad match-ups vs. certain teams due to the personnel we have, but Golding knows how to make the most of the players we have.

Last edited:
TV was probably averaging 5-6 shots a game until fairly recently. He’s probably throwing up more like 10-12 a game now. It can be frustrating at times, but it appears Golding knows we have to have an inside game, and despite his offensive woes, is allowing Verhoeven to develop.

Who honestly thought this team would be where they are? Golding has done a heckuva job, despite some of the glaring deficiencies this team has.

TV was probably averaging 5-6 shots a game until fairly recently. He’s probably throwing up more like 10-12 a game now. It can be frustrating at times, but it appears Golding knows we have to have an inside game, and despite his offensive woes, is allowing Verhoeven to develop.

Who honestly thought this team would be where they are? Golding has done a heckuva job, despite some of the glaring deficiencies this team has.
I think we have lost 1 (maybe 2) game that we really should have won. Golding is doing really well. Recruiting a big man or getting one of our young bigs to play way better is the next step in his UTEP evolution.

I think we gave lost 1 (maybe 2) game that we really should have won. Golding is doing really well. Recruiting a big man or getting one of our young bigs to play way better is the next step in his UTEP evolution.
Agree. I have ZERO doubt that CJG will be able to land a solid big for next year. I keep saying, he now has something to sell.

If Golding can get a decent big to transfer in during the off-season and has minimal transfers out going, I like the potential for next year

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Is Kalu injured? If not, he and Maring seem to be after thoughts.
Maring was not good in the very few minutes he played today. He was lousy on defense, giving up a couple of quick layups against Fiedler, and called for a charge (albeit bogus) on the offensive end. Kalu can't get any time ahead of the non scholarship guy Onyema. Along with Giffa playing behind Clardy, I think we can see where this is going. Golding will definitely have spots available for transfers.

Maring was not good in the very few minutes he played today. He was lousy on defense, giving up a couple of quick layups against Fiedler, and called for a charge (albeit bogus) on the offensive end. Kalu can't get any time ahead of the non scholarship guy Onyema. Along with Giffa playing behind Clardy, I think we can see where this is going. Golding will definitely have spots available for transfers.
Yeah, Maring was bad. I remember early on, Golding saying something like Maring has the tools but he needs to learn what it takes to be a D1 player day in and day out. Seems to have the skills but must not bring it every day to practice.

Maybe they can get Efe to transfer back?? He is Troys leading scorer.

CJG puts Onyema in the game and Z looses his man who scores. Coach is livid and calls time out. He enthusiastically tells Z what he did wrong and keeps him in the game to correct his mistakes.
Even great coaches don't have the patience for that. Haskins would have put him on the bench for 3 games.
Great move by CJG! Knows we need someone to give TV about 10 minutes of rest. Knows it isn’t Maring or Kalu. Let Onyema play through the mistake. Great teaching move.

Without a doubt, mistakes and all, I’d rather Onyema get all minutes TV doesn’t…considering the alternatives.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT