ADVERTISEMENT

Will the Media Ask if Kugler Will Resign?

El Paso Chihuahuas

MI Hall of Famer
Mar 28, 2014
El Paso, TX, USA
Kugler stated when he was hired that he will resign at the end of 3 years if he doesn't turn around the team. Kugler is doing worse than Mike Price. At any other school the media would ask Kugler if he will stick to his word. Unless there is a major turnaround between now and the end of the season, I hope somebody asks Kugler that question.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Ya lets wait till the season is over. We can still turn this around. The offense showed improvement from the first half to the second half today. We can still make a bowl game.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
He took UTEP to a bowl game in his second season. Compared to the state of UTEPia when he was hired, didn't he already ' turn around' the program?

Kugler lucked out with an easy schedule to get us to the bowl game. Our 2 best victories were against teams with .500 records. La Tech and Rice blew us out.

I don't care what their record is- winning a bowl game would mean tuning around the program here.

Gotcha, a 6-6 UTEP team winning the New Mexico Bowl is considered turning around the program.

Are you saying a 10-2 UTEP team losing in a more prestigious bowl would still not be considered turning around the program?

If UTEP went 10-2 they would probably be ranked and would be probably be in the Conference Championship, so I would be very satisfied with that. I remember the days when Mike Price was here when UTEP was ranked and the Sun Bowl was packed.

Ya lets wait till the season is over. We can still turn this around. The offense showed improvement from the first half to the second half today. We can still make a bowl game.
I'm going to be tiptoeing on a touchy subject here, so I'm going to start with a disclaimer. I, in no way shape, or form, think this is going to happen. This is more of a comment on the state of the bottom half of CUSA football than about any realistic chance that UTEP has.

Let's say hypothetically speaking, this is our Louisiana Tech moment from last year. Let's say the coaches bust butt during the bye week, one of our QBs figures out how to play at an FCS level, our OL figures out how to block, and our defense remembers how to tackle and cover a swing pass, and we go from a god awful team to a kinda sorta halfway semi-decent team. Again, I have zero confidence that any of this will happen. This is what we have left:

v. FAU: still a winnable game.
at USM: stepping away from the hypothetical, this is of course a loss and it wouldn't surprise me if we lost by 70+.
v. Rice: this would be an upset, but Rice isn't exactly lighting the world on fire at this point.
@ ODU: mild upset especially on the road, but wouldn't a huge shock by any means.
v. LT: see USM.
@ UNT: even if we don't improve a whit, we had better win this game. UNT might have a difficult time in Division III.

Again, not going to happen. Just throwing it out there.

Kugler said I wont put the fans through seven seasons i will win in three or i will quit. I think since he had a winning season last year it took him off his own hook. He's not going to quit.

Kugler said I wont put the fans through seven seasons i will win in three or i will quit. I think since he had a winning season last year it took him off his own hook. He's not going to quit.

"I promise you this: I didn't come down here to lose games. I'm not going to go through seven straight losing seasons," Kugler said, alluding to the situation he inherited. "I am not going to put the fans through that. If this thing isn't righted after around three seasons, I'll walk, I promise you. Without pay. I don't care. We are going to get this turned. I promise you that."

A winning season and losing a bowl game and now losing like he's losing this year does not take him off his own hook.

He said he will walk without pay- I wonder if he will stand by his words.

"I promise you this: I didn't come down here to lose games. I'm not going to go through seven straight losing seasons," Kugler said, alluding to the situation he inherited. "I am not going to put the fans through that. If this thing isn't righted after around three seasons, I'll walk, I promise you. Without pay. I don't care. We are going to get this turned. I promise you that."

A winning season and losing a bowl game and now losing like he's losing this year does not take him off his own hook.

He said he will walk without pay- I wonder if he will stand by his words.

Thats how its going to be spun I guarantee you.

Kugler opened his mouth too soon and got cocky from the beginning. He will now eat eat his own words. He has already sunk below a Price caliber team. Mike Price Never Put a team on the field that was as pathetic as the one Kugler put out today.

4O6bldU.gif

This year has been a year of misfortune. Not an excuse for today's performance, but when u lose 14 players in your two deep on a team with limited talent not to mention your all everything player, that's is a recipe for disaster. The fact is Kugler will get a pass on this year from Stull. Utep will do well to somehow win 4 games this year, I don't know if they will and it sure as Hell doesn't look like it, but if he does they can build on next year with those injured players returning. I also think that both offensive and defensive coordinatorso are on the hot seat.

This year has been a year of misfortune. Not an excuse for today's performance, but when u lose 14 players in your two deep on a team with limited talent not to mention your all everything player, that's is a recipe for disaster. The fact is Kugler will get a pass on this year from Stull. Utep will do well to somehow win 4 games this year, I don't know if they will and it sure as Hell doesn't look like it, but if he does they can build on next year with those injured players returning. I also think that both offensive and defensive coordinatorso are on the hot seat.
Whats the excuse for the offensive line?

There's no excuses period, simply stating what Stull will blame this season on and Kugler won't go n e where this year. Now if next year's goes the same with players returning, then we will see him on the hot seat. Stull will give him a Mulligan this year, I promise you that. Unless Kugler left on his own. Kugler has to recruit better and also get some JC kids ASAP to fill in the holes in the secondary

If you can pull your head out of your ass, then UTEP can definitely make a bowl game. Does that sound fair buttercup?

http://www.latimes.com/la-sp-usc-steve-sarkisian-on-leave-20151011-story.html

This bad ass coach from USC just had a fall from grace and might become available at the end of the season. He and Bo Pellini were supposed to be the next Nick Saban's and Mark Dantonio's of college football.

So he likes his liquor, I can live with it. UTEP's has had their share of coaches who loved booze.
We don't have to worry about a coaching change this year. Unfortunately Kugler will be back. Stull will praise Kugler and say he did an excellent job considering all the injuries he had to deal with. Then he will get another free pass after next year, then another year..then Stull will finally let him go.

We don't have to worry about a coaching change this year. Unfortunately Kugler will be back. Stull will praise Kugler and say he did an excellent job considering all the injuries he had to deal with. Then he will get another free pass after next year, then another year..then Stull will finally let him go.
Disagree, if next year is anther year like this year he will be out by Stull or on his own accord. If next year he returns to a bowl he'll stay.

Kugler will be back. I just want to see improvements from his coaching hard headedness. Kavika is in no way ready and I seriously doubt if he can positively rise to upper mid major FBS level. I can see Metz becoming the next Daughty, Rakeem Cato or even a Driskel within CUSA...and only if Kugler will pursue a honest to goodness passing game. However, when Jones comes back next year and fans still see the same ol' Higgins/Kugler play calling, I seriously doubt Kugler will make another two years. Opposing defense mades UTEP look limited, even with Jones in the backfield.

Monday morning qb'ing from 2step is brought to you by Beto's Tire and Lube on Alameda. Come on in and get a free tire inspection with the purchase of a full service oil change.

Kugler will be back. I just want to see improvements from his coaching hard headedness. Kavika is in no way ready and I seriously doubt if he can positively rise to upper mid major FBS level. I can see Metz becoming the next Daughty, Rakeem Cato or even a Driskel within CUSA...and only if Kugler will pursue a honest to goodness passing game. However, when Jones comes back next year and fans still see the same ol' Higgins/Kugler play calling, I seriously doubt Kugler will make another two years. Opposing defense mades UTEP look limited, even with Jones in the backfield.

Monday morning qb'ing from 2step is brought to you by Beto's Tire and Lube on Alameda. Come on in and get a free tire inspection with the purchase of a full service oil change.

I disagree with you about Kavika. Thats really the one thing im excited to see in the second half of the season. Of all the qbs on the roster Kavila has the highest ceiling. Its important to remember he's only been in the program for two months. Metz is a freshman but this is his third year in the program. Kavika has confidence something Metz doesnt have. I like Metz I think next year he will be a full time receiver, he will help us at receiver. We need to see what Kavika can do because the depth at qb is getting thin. With Simpson likely to transfer and leftwich's health status uncertain we at the very least need a jc qb next year. Lets hope Kavika takes the reigns and doesnt let go.

As for Kugler's future, the important number to watch is 20,000. The only reason Stull fired Nord after year four years was that attendance slipped to 20,000 a game. We are starring at that number this year. Football is what floats the other programs we cant have a huge hit in attendance. To compound things next year we have seven home games which is a huge financial risk. Army is not the draw people think they are. We need to average at least 30,000 a game next year to make the seven home games profitable. That will be hard to do if we are coming off a 2-10 or even 4-8 season. Economics may force Stull's hand on Kuglers employment.

I can live with that. But Kavika, like some other recruits from the past year, was supposed to help sooner rather than later. It's my understanding that's why Kavika chose UTEP; sooner playing time because he was that good. I'll give any young man time.

However, If you're a used car salesman, don't call another out by saying he's just a snake oil salesman; which Kugler has done with the previous coaching administration. The UTEP fans, like I, are not to impressed, other than with the Jones brothers, with some of Kugler recruits and are sick and tired of a poor performing program that stumbles and bumbles for over thirty years (did you notice that it was a Price recruit that scored the only TD this past Saturday?). They can't even stay on par with FIU? I know we lost some veterans, but these last two games should not have been that lopsided. No one has expectations for UTEP to be the next TCU. But it's fair to ask, after seeing a TCU, UTAH, Boise State move on after seeing them go head to head against UTEP year after year. If you want to go farther back, you can include Arizona, ASU, Texas Tech. The other programs who have not moved up, like UTEP, from the last few decades that were in same conference affiliates as UTEP are Northern Arizona, NMSU and Hardin-Simmons. Good company....

I can live with that. But Kavika, like some other recruits from the past year, was supposed to help sooner rather than later. It's my understanding that's why Kavika chose UTEP; sooner playing time because he was that good. I'll give any young man time.

However, If you're a used car salesman, don't call another out by saying he's just a snake oil salesman; which Kugler has done with the previous coaching administration. The UTEP fans, like I, are not to impressed, other than with the Jones brothers, with some of Kugler recruits and are sick and tired of a poor performing program that stumbles and bumbles for over thirty years (did you notice that it was a Price recruit that scored the only TD this past Saturday?). They can't even stay on par with FIU? I know we lost some veterans, but these last two games should not have been that lopsided. No one has expectations for UTEP to be the next TCU. But it's fair to ask, after seeing a TCU, UTAH, Boise State move on after seeing them go head to head against UTEP year after year. If you want to go farther back, you can include Arizona, ASU, Texas Tech. The other programs who have not moved up, like UTEP, from the last few decades that were in same conference affiliates as UTEP are Northern Arizona, NMSU and Hardin-Simmons. Good company....

I think we should be asking the UTEP bosses to have those expectations. UTEP has a beautiful campus, an excellent stadium and a good fan base that has proven it will show up in big numbers for a good team. If Dr. Natalicio would have those expectations, demand of her AD that he have that mindset, maybe UTEP could climb the ladder. When Kugler was hired the school offered $500k per year. Sounds like a lot but it is not by today's standards. I hope Kugler pulls a rabbit out of his hat and suddenly has success but the next time UTEP goes looking for a coach, they need to up the ante so that the pool to select from will be much better. Can't attract the best when you are offering the least.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT