ADVERTISEMENT

Will UTEP beat Arizona next year?

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
Hey, UTEP won more games than Arizona this season. It's a home game. This is as good a chance against a Power-5 opponent as UTEP will ever get. Will Kugler finally put it all together next season and take down the vulnerable Wildcats?

Hey, UTEP won more games than Arizona this season. It's a home game. This is as good a chance against a Power-5 opponent as UTEP will ever get. Will Kugler finally put it all together next season and take down the vulnerable Wildcats?

If Aron Jones is here maybe.

UTEP Football Edicts:
-We don't beat Power 5 Schools
-We don't win games in the Eastern Time Zone
-We play horrible in November

Reactions: UTEP05
UTEP Football Edicts:

For what it's worth, Kugler has actually had a winning record in November covering the last 3 seasons. He has been 7-6 in November since his first year. Additionally, 4 of those 6 November losses have been by 10 points or less. An argument can be made that November has kinda turned into Kugler's best month of football.

Last edited:
Reactions: minerdear
UTEP Football Edicts:
We don't have good seasons period, in 98 years of playing football UTEP averages 3.8 wins and 5.7 losses and .28 ties per season. So this season is pretty much on par.

Just to be contrary to everyone else I will say yes, UTEP breaks with it's own tradition and upsets Arizona next season. Since it has become obvious that Kugler will be back I may as well start forcing myself to become optimistic. AJ goes pro but Wadley, Dove, Hughes and Powell take care of rb by committee while Kugler ups the ante in the passing game by 20% and we are all singing kumbaya throughout a winning season. :D

For what it's worth, Kugler has actually had a winning record in November covering the last 3 seasons. He has been 7-6 in November since his first year. Additionally, 4 of those 6 November losses have been by 10 points or less. An argument can be made that November has kinda turned into Kugler's best month of football.

Sorta like being the tallest midget in the circus...

Spin it any any way you want, but C-USA has been reduced to maybe 3 quality football programs. By any standard, Kugler's teams have severely under-performed, have consistently been non-competitive, blown out in key conference and OOC games, not even close to competing for a title in a league that is hardly a shadow of what it was during the previous administration.

Sorta like being the tallest midget in the circus...

Spin it any any way you want, but C-USA has been reduced to maybe 3 quality football programs. By any standard, Kugler's teams have severely under-performed, have consistently been non-competitive, blown out in key conference and OOC games, not even close to competing for a title in a league that is hardly a shadow of what it was during the previous administration.

I don't think that anybody disagrees with what you are saying here. You have made these points and some other valid points for a few years now, including how you have talked about how Kugler has not developed a QB. Assuming that Metz starts at QB next year, he will be our 4th different Opening Day Starting QB in 4 years, which reinforces your point.

You are correct that the grading scale is not high, but if someone simply wants to watch UTEP play competitve football, then November under Kugler has been the best month to do that.

There is a lot of overall gloom surrounding UTEP fans at this time and it now appears certain that Kugler will be our Coach for another year, so since these are the cards that us fans are dealt, then what's the harm in pointing out at least one small positive trend.

I am not ready to make predictions on next season after this disappointing season just finished. I thought Utep would win 8 games this year, so next year I hope for the best, but will completely expect the worse. I do think Metz has potential, depending on who he's throwing too, and even if Aaron leaves Hughes will be back and Dove showed signs. To say they'll beat AZ is a stretch at this point

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT