ADVERTISEMENT

10 Quick Thoughts About Last Night's Game.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
1.). Alvin Jones didn't play, Gene Hopkins didn't play, Kalon Beverly essentially didn't play(and was replaced by a True Freshman). That is potentially 3 defensive Starters that didn't play, yet the defense wasn't bad last night.

2.). The offensive line really struggles in pass blocking situations.

3.). The offensive line really struggles in short yardage running situations.

4.). We never run a Play-Action Pass on first down and throw it deep....I don't know maybe try it once, just try it once that's all i'm asking.....just once....just try it....just one time try it!!

5.). It doesn't matter who the QB is, our passing game is completely ineffective right now and it is getting less effective as the season goes on.

6.). Teams are placing extra guys up-front in the box, yet we do not pass the ball outside of the 10 yard box that they are packed into and defending. Most of our passes are only 10 yards or less. We never even try to stretch the field........seriously, how many first half pass attempts beyond 10 yards did we have in the first half last night?

7.). We abuse Aaron Jones by running him inside on goal line sitations, he got absolutely crushed last night night on a second half goal line run. Oh and as if he isn't being run enough over the course of a game, we are also still wasting his legs by running him down the field on punts as well. I guess what the hell right, let's go ahead and just have him run an extra 200 yards every night covering 4 or 5 punts.

8.). Our Wild Cat offense rarely produces decent gains and I don't remember it working effectively at any time this season.

9.). Watching Jay Mattox in warm-ups and he is a hell of a kicker, it is a shame that the offense never gives him a chance to let him participate in the games.

10.). Penalties have a become a major issue with this team. Plinke is a very good player, but he has gotten 2 big holding penalties called against him bringing back long runs in each of the last two games. This team must stop committing so many penalties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Those are good points. It really speaks volumes to the ineptitude of the offense many fans felt the game was lost at halftime evendors though The Miners were only down 17.

Jones on ST is enough to fire him. And if I'm Aaron family hell yes we are gone after this year. This kid is a NFL RB who you continue to put in harms way.

BTW, I didn't even realize this when I originally wrote it, but it has now been a month since Jay Mattox has even had a Field Goal attempt. That shows how bad our offense has been at consistently driving into the opponents territory. Currently, our offensive production is solely dependent upon Aaron Jones hitting a home run every now and then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT