ADVERTISEMENT

28 and 56

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
that's the current record of Duggar Baucom in his third year at the Cidatel. Over the three years he has finished 10-22 (10/10 in conference), 12-21 (9/10), and is currently 6-13 (9/10). When Senter took over as AD he did not renew underperforming 5th year HC Drisell’s contract. Baucom is 100% Senter’s hire. He went the safe route and hired a coach with over 300 games experience but zero NCAA tournament bids. Will Senter make a similar hire here at UTEP?

It is similar to the Dimel hiring. But I was on board with that hiring from Day 1. I think it’s all about fit.

that's the current record of Duggar Baucom in his third year at the Cidatel. Over the three years he has finished 10-22 (10/10 in conference), 12-21 (9/10), and is currently 6-13 (9/10). When Senter took over as AD he did not renew underperforming 5th year HC Drisell’s contract. Baucom is 100% Senter’s hire. He went the safe route and hired a coach with over 300 games experience but zero NCAA tournament bids. Will Senter make a similar hire here at UTEP?

The Citadel is a military school and recruits a different type of student athlete. How many coaches jump at the chance to coach there or at Army, Navy, Air Force and VMI?

pr_soldier1_walk.gif

Reactions: El Paso 777

Probably. But while we are next to the pig farm in CUSA (as in UTEP record. No disrespect to MTSU, ODU or WKU. They're doing what has to be done to win the conference and a post season invite) I would like to think we're just a notch above Norfolk State in getting a quality coach.

Let's be a tad realistic, most on here, the admins on MR.com, Kyytoes and their followers, MI.com, ESPN600, local sports media and the hard core UTEP fans are on board the Dimel train. He landed Locksley and that was like "Whoa!". "Sweet!". But outside of that, EP is till somewhat in the dark. Price was literally putting his face on any news station camera, shook hands with every UTEP business's that sported UTEP and had them put his face on their walls and vehicles, literally and it happened within weeks of his hire. Dimel is pretty darn close to doing that but he still recruiting and I'm sure he will have his mug all over far west Texas.

However, UTEP needs a Mike Price hire in basketball. Senter kinds of has to hit this one out of the park. Getting a Iba protege from the College of Winterhold who has 10,000 wins and one or two post season invites is not a good idea to sell to the fans. This hire, IMO, has to have a furnace in his belly. Haskins, Billy and Barbee had fire in their guts and it showed.

Just a notch above norfolk state? Dude, what are you smoking? We can EASILY get a quality coach for hoops. That doesn't mean we will get coach Cal, but a good assistant or a head coach from a lower level fbs school could be a quality coach. We do NOT need a coach price hire in basketball or football EVER. We need a GOOD coach. Period. (can you say Billy or Tony? just or examples)

No one anywhere on any of the UTEP sites saw coach Dimel coming. NO ONE saw him on the radar. He is making splashes for all of us right now. There are TONS of high school and juco coaches reaching out to him and his staff regarding kids. Will this turn into wins come the fall? I guess we shall see.

Basketball is a different breed. If we keep our current kids (which I hope) and get a decent coach, this ship will turn around in a damn hurry. Senter doesn't need to "hit it out of the park" in order to right the ship.

Over reaction 101

Scott Cross at UT Arlington makes $250,000. Tim Floyd was making 600K. I think we can find someone.

I believe The Citadel runs a modified version of "The System" developed at Division III Grinnell in Iowa. For a school that really has no chance to win championships due to its limitations (The Citadel has never played in the NCAA Tournament), at least it's a high-scoring form of basketball that can be fun for the spectators. (And Grinnell has been able to win conference championships playing that way, albeit at the non-scholarship Division III level.)

I don't think there's any risk that UTEP is going to resort to "The System" like The Citadel.

Last edited:
Reactions: EPTUTEP
UTEP can offer 500k+ a year salary, the highest recruiting budget in CUSA , great facilities, and a fan base that will easily draw 10,000+ per game if winning. Also if your successful at UTEP your pretty much guaranteed to land a job at a P5 program ( look at Billy, Doc, and Barbee). The UTEP job is a very desirable job and there will be plenty plenty of strong applicants that Senter has to choose from. Proof is that post that one poster stated that an assistant at a top major program is trying hard to land the UTEP job. Senter had nowhere near the resources at the Citadel as he does here to offer to coaches. We will be fine in basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT