ADVERTISEMENT

5 Teams Tied for 5th Place

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
It all comes full circle tomorrow night. A month and some change ago UTEP had reached an all time low none of us had ever witnessed. Fresh off an eight point loss to USM that extended UTEPs losing streak to 12 things looked doomed for Tim Floyd and this team. Sitting in second to last place nationally at 2-13 (0-3) many of us wondered if we would win another game let alone qualify for the CUSA tournament.

While RPI wise we may not have moved up that much (currently at 301) in the conference we find ourselves one spot behind the coveted top four. UTEP missed a golden opportunity to for at least a few nights be regarded as one of the top four seeds in the conference. The loss didn't affect them that much as they are currently in the same place they were before the La Tech game. With the only difference they are no longer alone four other teams joined them.

A win is needed and Vegas believes we can do it placing us as 10.5 favorites over USM. In order to have sole possession of 4th place by the end of the night a few things have to go our way.
The most important is UAB beating ODU at home. La Tech avenging their loss to UTSA. Marshall beating WKU on the road. And FAU pulling out an upset at home over RICE.

While we have no control over what the other teams do we must handle our business and produce a critical win over USM. A loss and we might not be able to catch up by the end of the season.

Good Luck Miners.

One part of the puzzle is in place with La Tech defeating UTSA.
UAB is a 3 point favorite
FAU is a 5 point underdog
Marshall is a 1.5 underdog
UTEP is now a 8.5 favorite.

Another piece falls into place. Marshall defeats WKU. FAU doing their best to help us out currently beating RICE by four at halftime.

FAU doesn't hold up their end of the deal losing in OT. IF UAB can come back over ODU and we beat USM we will be a three way tie for 4th.

ODU wrecked UAB. The best UTEP can do is maintain their place in 5th along with RICE and Marshall. A loss and we drop to a three way tie with UTSA and WKU for 7th.

In the long run the UAB defeat may end up benefiting UTEP if we continue to win games.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
CUSA looking like a one bid conference this year. Losing to UTEP really hurt Middle Tennessee.

CUSA looking like a one bid conference this year. Losing to UTEP really hurt Middle Tennessee.
IDK, they did really well out of conference, most projections have them in, I think they can absorb maybe one more conf loss before really sweating to have to win the tourney. Other two things in they're favor are them beating Michigan St. Last year and the weak field this year which will allow more mid majors to get bids

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
IDK, they did really well out of conference, most projections have them in, I think they can absorb maybe one more conf loss before really sweating to have to win the tourney. Other two things in they're favor are them beating Michigan St. Last year and the weak field this year which will allow more mid majors to get bids

I agree. I think 2 more loses overall (regular season and postseason) and I think they get in.

If I were MTSU I would be real worried about not winning the autobid.

Last season SDSU finished with an RPI of 40 won the regular season MWC title a league rated at #12 and ended up in the NIT.

Saint Mary's finished with an RPI of 38 won the regular season WCC rated at #14 and still got left out.

Assuming MTSU finishes in the 40's in the #25 rated league how confident can they feel? Another two losses as someone claimed they can absorb and they drop into the high 50's low 60's. The committee will surely plug in a P6 team in their place.

With their OOC resume, I personally think that MTSU could have absorbed a loss to a LA Tech or UAB and still had a decent shot at an at large bid. Losing to us, however, with our pathetic record and RPI, really dealt a severe blow to their at large chances. If I was in their shoes I wouldn't feel comfortable, even if they run the table through the rest of the conference season. By all of the metrics the committee uses the UTEP loss will be seen as a very bad one.

If I were MTSU I would be real worried about not winning the autobid.

Last season SDSU finished with an RPI of 40 won the regular season MWC title a league rated at #12 and ended up in the NIT.

Saint Mary's finished with an RPI of 38 won the regular season WCC rated at #14 and still got left out.

Assuming MTSU finishes in the 40's in the #25 rated league how confident can they feel? Another two losses as someone claimed they can absorb and they drop into the high 50's low 60's. The committee will surely plug in a P6 team in their place.

Corona is spot on. There is no way MTSU makes it in as an at large. SDSU made it to the NCAA tournament the previous 6 seasons and won at least 1 game 4 of those years. They were in a much better position than MTSU this year and were left out. CUSA is a one bid league just like the Mountain West.

With their OOC resume, I personally think that MTSU could have absorbed a loss to a LA Tech or UAB and still had a decent shot at an at large bid. Losing to us, however, with our pathetic record and RPI, really dealt a severe blow to their at large chances. If I was in their shoes I wouldn't feel comfortable, even if they run the table through the rest of the conference season. By all of the metrics the committee uses the UTEP loss will be seen as a very bad one.

I couldn't agree more. I love UTEP but MTSU is the best shot of a CUSA team making it to the second round, perhaps Sweet 16, but there is still way to much ball to be played.

Just for shits and giggles, If UTEP wins the tournament and gets the auto bid, most on here will be getting drunk, sleeping it off, and repeat. But let's be realistic, it hurts the league because UTEP will be matched against Gonzaga or Arizona and that's one and done. But a MTSU or a UAB who still have the coaches and players who have been the David to the Goliath recently bring the much needed respectability and strength CUSA needs right now. MTSU loss to UTEP will sink their at large chances, not a doubt in my mind. Look at what happened to ODU two years back? They had a great season, ODU fans thought Freeman was the second coming of Christ, dancing way to prematurely in the streets, were proclaiming that this will help with major conference realignment (at that time) but then they had two not so good in-conferences losses and instead headed to the NIT (and did well in it) and boy did reality smack them hard! In contrast, look who played giant killer? UAB. In my opinion, UAB was the right team at the right time because a) they were the hottest team in CUSA at that time in early March and b)had a stronger resume, coaching and players to pull off an upset against ISU. ODU was a one man show, UAB was not. MTSU is not a one man show and the best team to be in the NCAA, unless they have a total collapse.

Well, that's my $0.02.

I couldn't agree more. I love UTEP but MTSU is the best shot of a CUSA team making it to the second round, perhaps Sweet 16, but there is still way to much ball to be played.

Just for shits and giggles, If UTEP wins the tournament and gets the auto bid, most on here will be getting drunk, sleeping it off, and repeat. But let's be realistic, it hurts the league because UTEP will be matched against Gonzaga or Arizona and that's one and done. But a MTSU or a UAB who still have the coaches and players who have been the David to the Goliath recently bring the much needed respectability and strength CUSA needs right now. MTSU loss to UTEP will sink their at large chances, not a doubt in my mind. Look at what happened to ODU two years back? They had a great season, ODU fans thought Freeman was the second coming of Christ, dancing way to prematurely in the streets, were proclaiming that this will help with major conference realignment (at that time) but then they had two not so good in-conferences losses and instead headed to the NIT (and did well in it) and boy did reality smack them hard! In contrast, look who played giant killer? UAB. In my opinion, UAB was the right team at the right time because a) they were the hottest team in CUSA at that time in early March and b)had a stronger resume, coaching and players to pull off an upset against ISU. ODU was a one man show, UAB was not. MTSU is not a one man show and the best team to be in the NCAA, unless they have a total collapse.

Well, that's my $0.02.

I'm not sure UAB last year gave CUSA any more respectability or strength in terms of national perception. If we're a two-bid league this year maybe you could argue that. So as Miner fans, if we're a one-bid league, who cares about conference perception -- just get in.

I'm not sure UAB last year gave CUSA any more respectability or strength in terms of national perception. If we're a two-bid league this year maybe you could argue that. So as Miner fans, if we're a one-bid league, who cares about conference perception -- just get in.
This league has a long history of being known as a one bid league. During CUSA1.0 it would have some seasons with multiple bids. After that it was known as Memphis and the other 11 schools. Memphis was a couple of missed fts from winning the national championship and that didn't get the league any respect. We were still constantly known as a one bid league despite having serval schools in the top 100. I don't thing MTSU beating Michigan St did all that much to to make us more respectable. We have serval teams in the 300s and only one team in the top 100. We are a one bid league. I hope UTEP is the one who gets it. F&$k what anyone else is doing.

But let's be realistic, it hurts the league because UTEP will be matched against Gonzaga or Arizona and that's one and done.
NO!!!

It's an opportunity for UTEP to make history. No 16th-seed has ever beaten a top seed in the NCAA Tourney, although there have been a couple of close calls. If UTEP manages to win the CUSA Tourney, they will be playing way above their heads and might be the perfect storm to pull off the miracle. Someday a top seed will fall in the first round; why not UTEP making history once again?

Reactions: mikesarabia
NO!!!

It's an opportunity for UTEP to make history. No 16th-seed has ever beaten a top seed in the NCAA Tourney, although there have been a couple of close calls. If UTEP manages to win the CUSA Tourney, they will be playing way above their heads and might be the perfect storm to pull off the miracle. Someday a top seed will fall in the first round; why not UTEP making history once again?

I'm down for that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT