ADVERTISEMENT

Abeline Christian coming to town

Or it could be that Senter knows that the UTEP fb program is in need of some wins and the confidence that could bring. In other words, baby steps for now.
UTSA gets 5 ooc games this year. I like Senter’s strategy of exchanging guaranteed losses vs TT and @ Nevada for “guaranteed” home wins. Moccia on the other hand didn’t even try.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Or it could be that Senter knows that the UTEP fb program is in need of some wins and the confidence that could bring. In other words, baby steps for now.

And if they lose one or both, then what? UTEP had a rare opportunity of having less games and being a little bit more visible. Army and BYU get more notoriety than FCS teams do. An afterthought like usual.

Everyone here hates Dimel, what good does beating (maybe) two FCS team do for UTEP long-term??

Reactions: Autograph Boy
UTSA gets 5 ooc games this year. I like Senter’s strategy of exchanging guaranteed losses vs TT and @ Nevada for “guaranteed” home wins. Moccia on the other hand didn’t even try.

Now we definitely know Conference USA beats going independent. Notre Dame is fortunate to be known universally

First and foremost beating an fcs team in weak 1 ends the current longest losing streak by an active FBS team.

Second a home game vs Army during a Pandemic is awful planning. Last time Army played in the Sun Bowl we had the biggest crowd for a non P5 team in a long time. Seems like a wasted opportunity had we hosted them. Taking a reduced payout to lose at BYU is also not very smart.

Third, if Dimel losses to either FCS team his seat might be hot enough to not be able to sit in it anymore.

Overall win/win situation for UTEP.

I haven't been a fan of anything Senter has done. However, I dont fault him for this schedule. We needed a balanced schedule 6 home games 6 away games. We only had a few dates to work with. I have no problem with the two FCS home games. If he loses them it's going to be super painful. In year three if he loses to one or both of them there will be no doubt that Dimel has to be fired.

UTSA is getting a one off pay game with BYU. The Army home game is nice. Army likes to play in Texas. They recruit the state hard. Even in a pandemic year with limited capacity Army gets the exposure they want with Texas recruits. A game in El Paso does nothing for them recruiting wise. Still a nice get for UTSA.

Last edited:
First and foremost beating an fcs team in weak 1 ends the current longest losing streak by an active FBS team.

Second a home game vs Army during a Pandemic is awful planning. Last time Army played in the Sun Bowl we had the biggest crowd for a non P5 team in a long time. Seems like a wasted opportunity had we hosted them. Taking a reduced payout to lose at BYU is also not very smart.

Third, if Dimel losses to either FCS team his seat might be hot enough to not be able to sit in it anymore.

Overall win/win situation for UTEP.
Reduced payout vs no additional $$ on top of UT game. I would rather have something than nothing. Army game i am indifferent about. Would be nice to have another military academy in the future (Navy or Air Force).

Reduced payout vs no additional $$ on top of UT game. I would rather have something than nothing. Army game i am indifferent about. Would be nice to have another military academy in the future (Navy or Air Force).

If NMSU drops football or joins the Big Sky we are going to have an opening for an extra non conference game in our schedule. The most plausible solution would be to add UNM as apermanent non conference opponent. I think the game benefits both schools. We have a two game series scheduled with them coming up so we would have an opening in 2021 and 2022 to fill.

Reactions: unihorn
I rather have wins than losses. Out of curiosity, do you get a percentage of the profit UTEP makes?

I rather have wins than losses. Out of curiosity, do you get a percentage of the profit UTEP makes?

You do not care about the school’s financial state? How does a win vs SFA help UTEP in 10 years? An extra $300,000 is beneficial in staff salaries and money for the program. That SFA win will be forgotten about as soon as the next season starts.

You do not care about the school’s financial state? How does a win vs SFA help UTEP in 10 years? An extra $300,000 is beneficial in staff salaries and money for the program. That SFA win will be forgotten about as soon as the next season starts.
Once you care about the school’s finances and make contributions get back to me.

I buy tickets to games every season and was once a season ticket holder, but okay.
You’re whole game on here has been to shame and blame anyone that supports UTEP financially and to proudly boast how you’re not donating to a shitty program. Then you on to give us an illustration about eating at a restaurant that gives you shitty service and the food taste bad.

You’re whole game on here has been to shame and blame anyone that supports UTEP financially and to proudly boast how you’re not donating to a shitty program. Then you on to give us an illustration about eating at a restaurant that gives you shitty service and the food taste bad.

Nope. I only shame the ones that urge others to do. If you buy season tickets, that’s on you, you’re supporting a department that is inept and screws it’s fan base.

Let’s see your latest credit card transaction for the MAC, you big donor you.

Nope. I only shame the ones that urge others to do. If you buy season tickets, that’s on you, you’re supporting a department that is inept and screws it’s fan base.

Let’s see your latest credit card transaction for the MAC, you big donor you.
I’m not a big donor. I contributed 120 last year and have done nothing for this year. Most likely won’t unless Dimel/Terry shocks us.

I’m not worried about the school’s finances. I care more about standings. Obviously we’re in a good place financially since we’re one of the only G5 schools to buy two guaranteed games.

And if they lose one or both, then what? UTEP had a rare opportunity of having less games and being a little bit more visible. Army and BYU get more notoriety than FCS teams do. An afterthought like usual.

Everyone here hates Dimel, what good does beating (maybe) two FCS team do for UTEP long-term??
What mileage are you getting from two
Probably lopsided losses? I’ll take the small time wins. Nobody is putting any importance on this years games, so try and build some confidence for this team.

What mileage are you getting from two
Probably lopsided losses? I’ll take the small time wins. Nobody is putting any importance on this years games, so try and build some confidence for this team.

BYU game would be on ESPN or ESPN2
Army game would be on CBSSN or something else

the 2 FCS games will be on ESPN+ where only UTEP and SFA/ACU fans will be watching. No random Buffalo Wild Wings is going to be showing UTEP vs SFA, but they would for BYU vs UTEP

By your own words you’re not a UTEP fan. Jadrain Taylor is not redshirting this year. Maybe you should stick to calling out everyone’s personal life since you don’t know anything about UTEP.

image-asset.jpeg

I’m not a big donor. I contributed 120 last year and have done nothing for this year. Most likely won’t unless Dimel/Terry shocks us.

I’m not worried about the school’s finances. I care more about standings. Obviously we’re in a good place financially since we’re one of the only G5 schools to buy two guaranteed games.

Which teams did UTEP beat in 2016? Try it without looking it up. I could only name 1. Nobody will remember the SFA game, unless we lose of course.

So you’re mad cuz the rest of the nation doesn’t get to see UTEP whooped forty something to 7?

Lil brother lost their money game at LSU. I wonder how they would have scheduled if they didn’t.

Abilene Christian alum here. I come in peace.

Honest question- Last year the Miners struggled against HBU, a team ACU beat handily. SFA didn’t play Houston Baptist last year but they are in the same conference and have dominated the series.

Reading the thread on season predictions most of your fans expect UTEP to pick up two wins against SFA and ACU. Is this confidence based on an infusion of new talent, expected improved performance from returning players, or ?

I’m not trying to start anything here. It’s an sincere question based on a belief that both FCS teams you face this year will be better than the one you faced last year.

Oh, I’m looking forward to watching the game. Y’all play in an iconic venue. In a normal year I’d go to the game. This year I’ll have to be content to grab my popcorn and stream the game on my almost big screen.

Last edited:

Honest question- Last year the Miners struggled against HBU, a team ACU beat handily. SFA didn’t play Houston Baptist last year but they are in the same conference and have dominated the series.

Reading the thread on season predictions most of your fans expect UTEP to pick up two wins against SFA and ACU. Is this confidence based on an infusion of new talent, expected improved performance from returning players, or ?

I’m not trying to start anything here. It’s an sincere question based on a belief that both FCS teams you face this year will be better than the one you faced last year.

Oh, I’m looking forward to watching the game. Y’all play in an iconic venue. In a normal year I’d go to the game. This year I’ll have to be content to grab my popcorn and stream the game on my almost big screen.

In year three we expect Dana Dimel to beat two FCS squads. I dont think most us think they will. You wont find an fbs program with a lower opinion of their coach and AD than Miner fans have. All we have is hope. There is no tangible evidence this team will be any better. The promised improvement we've all been waiting for hasn't materialized as of yet. The scary part for most of us is we dont know if we've hit the floor yet. All we have is hope and that hope could evaporate quickly in ten days. We all want to be surprised and have to eat crow if Dimel wins. However, at this point that seems highly unlikely.

In year three we expect Dana Dimel to beat two FCS squads. I dont think most us think they will. You wont find an fbs program with a lower opinion of their coach and AD than Miner fans have. All we have is hope. There is no tangible evidence this team will be any better. The promised improvement we've all been waiting for hasn't materialized as of yet. The scary part for most of us is we dont know if we've hit the floor yet. All we have is hope and that hope could evaporate quickly in ten days. We all want to be surprised and have to eat crow if Dimel wins. However, at this point that seems highly unlikely.
Yep, this is pretty spot on. We all expected UTEP to handle fcs opponent NAU in Dimel's 1st game as our coach 2 years ago. The air was let out of that balloon real quick. But hope springs eternal. It just dies much quicker in Minerland, usually. We should expect a better team at this point in Dimel's stay at UTEP. I think they will be improved enough to win a few this year based on an infusion of talent on defense, solid rb unit, more experienced o-line and wr unit. Scary part is inexperience at qb. We also hope that if UTEP loses even one of the fcs games, Dimel would be fired. So win a few games and we are on the road to improvement or lose and we get a new coach. Sort of a convoluted win/win for UTEP fans.

Thanks for the insights, guys.

Just glancing at your schedule it looks like if your team has gotten better at all you have at least a sporting chance to show improvement. Just don’t take your frustrations from the Texas game out on us the following week, please.

I’ll probably check in with you again closer to the time ACU travels to El Paso.

"...and you go in pieces..."

No, seriously, the deal is that no D1 FBS team should ever lose to an FCS, but if you've put up with the beating our program has these last three years all you can do is hope for improvement. No one here would guarantee anything.

The last time UTEP won a home conference game was November 2016. The current 4th year seniors were freshmen. Aaron Jones left the field in the 3rd quarter to a standing ovation. A guy named Barry Obama was president.

Since Texas Tech was most likely a giant L the games against SFA and ACU bring more hope.

Love the city of Abilene. My friends are teachers up there and used to coach at Hardin Simmons.

Last edited:
Reactions: dr__dawg

Nobody comes here in peace

Amen!

UTEP has a one of the best unheralded Texas College RB's which includes a top EP recruit who chose UTEP over Arkansas. Our QB is New Mexico 2017 MVP and a golden arm but legs like a chihuahua.

Its up to your D coordinator to disguise the defense since our QB is literally a drop back passer and can't scramble.

You will not stop Wadley our top rb.

Rest is up to covid and neither team visits the bars.

I can say this with confidence for the game after you all, UT has Wadley circled in red.

Don't you worry Mr. or Mrs ACU! Our offensive coordinator is literslly bi-polar on play calling. He's a vagabond coach who recruits great players but diposes what kept you in the game. Expect heavy dose of Wadley and Hankins. Right when Texas dry county jonesing kicks in for more beer in 4th quarter your team will be right back in it. All becsuse our O coordinator abandons what works.

Well this is an interesting thread, for sure.

The game against ACU could be win/win for UTEP. The last time we beat a FBS team was 2014 when we beat Troy. After losing to a lowly FCS team like us they decided it was time for a coaching change. The Trojans wound up hiring Neal Brown who complied a 35-16 record and three straight 10:win seasons capped by bowl wins.

Then again, wins over SFA and us would show your coach may have the program headed in the right direction after all. And wins are wins and better than losses.

On another note, I loved the description of your Qb as a guy with a “golden arm but the legs of a chihuahua.” We will counter with two QB’s with the legs of greyhounds. Neither has a golden arm though, more like silver and bronze.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT