ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance and homecoming

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
We had poor attendance in the home opener of just over 22k. Homecoming vs UTSA should be better than that but I don't know if we can reach 30k even. I totally understand why the opener had such low attendance since the Miners had been blown out in the first 2 weeks and UIW was unknown to the casual fan. But if attendance doesn't pick up, not only will UTEP not repeat as attendance leaders of C-USA, we may have the lowest average attendance since the Nord era. I'm hoping for a good jump in attendance this week plus a win which will help attendance for the next home game. Doesn't help either that so far our offense is pretty boring.

Are you attending the game Saturday?
It's a 1500 mile trip for me so, no. When I lived in El Paso and later Albuquerque, I was there for every football game. I'll be there in spirit and I hope El Paso football fans will turn out in droves.

25,000 at the most. It doesn't help when your "blow out" game of the year turns into an actual football game.

No way it hits 30,000. We got 22k riding on the Metz comeback train, I can't see us hitting over 27k.

Show up EP!!! FYI I am not going to the game 1700 miles away... and i'll bring sunny Oregon weather... But I will be there for the La Tech!!! How can you not be excited for UTSA? Way better rivalry than NMPooh... lol

Reactions: MINER63
I don't think there is anything else going in El Paso this weekend. Last weekend there was an MMA fight card at the coliseum and a Mexican baseball game at Southwest Univ. park. We need to get at least 30k fans at the game.

I don't think there is anything else going in El Paso this weekend. Last weekend there was an MMA fight card at the coliseum and a Mexican baseball game at Southwest Univ. park. We need to get at least 30k fans at the game.
UTEP has competition with the Chihuahuas now. Thats why we are seeing the dip in football attendance last season and this season. Basketball too. The baseball games are cheap for tickets and you get a better value with being able to watch future and current MLB players. Mountain Star is a first class organization Too bad we can't say the same with our pathetic athletic department.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
UTEP has competition with the Chihuahuas now. Thats why we are seeing the dip in football attendance last season and this season. Basketball too. The baseball games are cheap for tickets and you get a better value with being able to watch future and current MLB players. Mountain Star is a first class organization Too bad we can't say the same with our pathetic athletic department.

Or, you could buy tickets to all three.

Baseball is the better value in EP. Stull turned down an invite to the Mountain West. Thats where our heated rivals are at. CUSA is crap. UTSA and La Tech are not our rivals, never have been and never will. CUSA basketball is garbage and we don't do anything special. UTEP sports are getting boring now. We have no rivals and we don't do anything significant in a weak conference. $5 can't get a ticket to any UTEP mens sports. $5 can get you lawn seats to the baseball game and your kids can play all game long in the kids play area. And you get to watch a very high level of competition. Those players are one step below the majors. You get to see the Padres top prospects and players who played in the majors. All of the teams in CUSA suck and nobody cares about them. I didn't renew my basketball season tickets and I won't renew my football after this season. I am buying season tickets to the Chihuahuas now. And I think a lot of people are going follow as well.

Casual fans don't care about last week's score like us, they'll see a win, plus a better opponent, plus conf, plus home coming =30-32,000

UTSA went 4-8 last year and are 0-4 like Chi said. They are a better opponent than IW but not by much. UTSA brings no "WOW" factor at all. Just another weak CUSA team that nobody cares about.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
UTSA went 4-8 last year and are 0-4 like Chi said. They are a better opponent than IW but not by much. UTSA brings no "WOW" factor at all. Just another weak CUSA team that nobody cares about.
I think your best move is to move to Alabama so you wont complain.... ****!

The average El Paso family can't afford to spend money on two sporting events held on the same day. Although the game started at 1:00 pm, I'm sure some people had to make a decision on which event they would attend.

You're right. Baseball game was $5 and football game was $12. Baseball game had former MLB players and football game had football powerhouse Incarnate Word.

Aye ya yaye....don't revert, state your prediction/opinion and let the rest go. The last half of this thread turned into a nyah nyah fest.

Reactions: MistaBinks
Baseball is the better value in EP. Stull turned down an invite to the Mountain West. Thats where our heated rivals are at. CUSA is crap.

So C-USA is crap, huh? I've listened to UTEP fans like you bad mouth C-USA for YEARS. Fact is the next C-USA football championship UTEP wins will be the first.

Homecoming brings out mote students than any other game. It also brings out alot of disconnected or casual fan alumns. UTSA travels pretty well i expect 2 -3k. Finally this match up excites the general public more than any other annual game. Taking all this into account i think we can expect a bump of 10-12 thousand fans.
I say 33,000

Homecoming brings out mote students than any other game. It also brings out alot of disconnected or casual fan alumns. UTSA travels pretty well i expect 2 -3k. Finally this match up excites the general public more than any other annual game. Taking all this into account i think we can expect a bump of 10-12 thousand fans.
I say 33,000

You really think 2-3K UTSA fans will travel? I don't recall anything close to that many UTSA fans 2 years ago. What is exciting about this matchup?

No way 33,000 people will show up. Only 25,509 fans showed up last year for homecoming.

Baseball is the better value in EP. Stull turned down an invite to the Mountain West. Thats where our heated rivals are at. CUSA is crap. UTSA and La Tech are not our rivals, never have been and never will. CUSA basketball is garbage and we don't do anything special. UTEP sports are getting boring now. We have no rivals and we don't do anything significant in a weak conference. $5 can't get a ticket to any UTEP mens sports. $5 can get you lawn seats to the baseball game and your kids can play all game long in the kids play area. And you get to watch a very high level of competition. Those players are one step below the majors. You get to see the Padres top prospects and players who played in the majors. All of the teams in CUSA suck and nobody cares about them. I didn't renew my basketball season tickets and I won't renew my football after this season. I am buying season tickets to the Chihuahuas now. And I think a lot of people are going follow as well.

I dont think you understand the minor league system. Teams keep their top prospects in double a. Triple A is for journeyman and utility players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT