ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Judge rule new El Paso Arena can't host sports

Put it on the ballot again, it will pass.

Yes, but get the arena footprint completely secured and demo'd first before putting the arena details to an amending vote. Completely eliminate that site issue and demo the land. I promise that 4 months after you demo it, then nobody will care about Durango the exact same way that nobody cared about Durango at this time a year ago. Very few people will show up 4 months after demo to vote against out of spite and the new vote will easily pass. After the land is clear, you can also start showing exact plans and artist renditions of what will go there and get people excited. After that you could probably even ask for a little more money as well(not too much) and get the approval to build something as impressive as the ballpark.

I think putting this type of false information/false ideas out there hurts the project, because it gives some people a false alternative option that they want to get behind instead of the real project that could actually happen. Maybe Duke can clarify how he thinks this could possibly work?, but this doesn't seem to be even remotely possible due to the following reasons:

1.) The UT system owns the Don. The City of El Paso is not going to issue bond debt and service that debt obligation for decades, just to then turn around and invest that bond money into a property that they don't even own. Wouldn't that also be illegal?

2.). The judge states that the money can not be spent on a sports arena, yet the Don is the exact definition of a sports arena. Just look up and see the scoreboard, banners, and jerseys hanging from the ceiling. There is no way that the Don could ever be considered something other than a sports first arena and the Judge directly said no to a sports arena.

3.). The bond was voted for and passed. The city is now required by law to execute this project. The project also tied it's location to downtown, the judge even ruled on this. The Don is not located downtown.

4.) The City of El Paso will recieve tax benefits(up to $27 million over 10 years)by building the arena within a certain number of feet within the convention center. The Don is not close enough to the convention center and El Paso would lose that money if we built there.

5.). If they "re-did" the Don, then the City would have to split any future concert/venue profits with UT/UTEP. Why would the City of El Paso want to spend $180 million to renovate UTEP's arena and then also have to split the profits with them?

6.). The city has already spent $15 million acquiring the land for this Arena. If they don't build in Durango, then we have to either demolish that neighborhood that we already bought or waste millions more bringing those terrible run down buildings up to code. Most of those 100 year old buildings need new plumbing, completely new electrical, they all have to be brought up to ADA compliance with the law. We would have to waste millions in infrastructure on them before we even started spending the money to make their exteriors look decent. I don't want the city wasting our tax money repairing those non-historic dump buildings simply because we got stuck with them due to a change in site.

If The Don is ever replaced and the new city arena is built, I'd like to see The Don downsized and made more intimate and fan friendly for basketball.

The whole purpose of having the "multipurpose" arena downtown is for it to be part of the revitalization. It becomes an asset to the city financially and helps to create a powferful centerpiece in the heart of El Paso (along with all the other downtown stuff). That in turn helps to curb or even completly plateau property taxes. Its just one piece of the puzzle, but a big peice.

El Paso is a cheap city. You have to spend money to make money. The problem is that there are always naysayers that want to complain about this and that and sue each other, or people that won't spend money because they don't have any or don't trust what's being done with it (which is a huge problem here and many other cities).

As for the DHC goes, its a seperate issue but it could use a renovation too.

Wow this judge is something else??? She cant deside?? Should just take this to a bigger court. I wonder if the defense has the funds to keep fighting this? Dont they have jobs?

When she said you could hold boxing in a theatre by putting the ring on the stage. That was the craziest shit I've ever heard. She obviously doesn't know what she's talking about. If that's the case we might as well host fights at the Abraham Chavez Theatre.

The only fight I can recal that was held in a theatre was Rigondeaux/Donaire and that was in Radio City Music Hall.

When she said you could hold boxing in a theatre by putting the ring on the stage. That was the craziest shit I've ever heard. She obviously doesn't know what she's talking about. If that's the case we might as well host fights at the Abraham Chavez Theatre.

The only fight I can recal that was held in a theatre was Rigondeaux/Donaire and that was in Radio City Music Hall.

Ivan Drago vs Apollo Creed took place in a theater in front of a capacity crowd.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
I believe the usa basketball team played a game in radio music hall in new york.

No one can tell us not to have sports in our multi-purpose arena. It would never hold up under review.

I hope the city wins this court case. Its disappointing we are so close and these people can potentially derail it on some wording.

The judge said it'll likely be appealed, which indicates to me the city is going to lose this round.

I screw it and build it then. Just demolish the whole buildings and fight for the sports thing later.

Somebody answer me this: Why does El Paso need a new arena? We already have the Abraham Chavez Theater, the Plaza Theater, the Don Haskins Center and the Coliseum. What will building a new arena do for the city?

Somebody answer me this: Why does El Paso need a new arena? We already have the Abraham Chavez Theater, the Plaza Theater, the Don Haskins Center and the Coliseum. What will building a new arena do for the city?

I would tell her "If you are alive why would you want kids and grandkids."

Some people have no common sense.

Remember the people who said "Why do we need a new baseball stadium?, when we already have Cohen". What about the people who asked "Why spend money remodeling and re-opening the Plaza Theatre?, when we already had the Abraham Chavez Theatre across the street". I think time has clearly proven those doubters wrong as well.

These are not necessity projects, these were "Quality of Life" projects which passed with over 70% of the people voting for it(70% of the people voting in favor or these types of projects is almost unheard of.). If we currently want any event involving Ice(Disney on Ice, Ice Hockey, Etc.), then our only current choice is to hold it in the 76 year old Coliseum. That is just one example. There is also the Tax Rebate benefit of building an arena next to our convention center. The arena is an important part of the entire downtown master plan and redevelopment plan(including it's placement directly on the new trolley line). The arena by itself is not a game changer, but when you continue to add more and more pieces to a master plan, then over a 10 to 15 year period you end up with a really nice area, instead of the dump that Downtown was during the 80's and 90's. You have to keep investing in yourself and create enough building blocks that enable the area to then grow on it's own. When you stop doing that, then you end up with a bad Downtown like we had for most of the end of the last century.

Last edited:
Judge rules city can move ahead with Multi-purpose Arts and Entertainment Center, not sports arena. Whatever that means.

Means that the arena cannot be built just for sports. She was very vague in her ruling which means that the people have spoken! This was never intended to be fitted just for sports. Ridiculous of the few who opposed it to state such a thing!

Like i said before screw it just build the non sports arena. Once all the buildings are demolished and the arena is built. Go to court again. Its not like El paso a permanent resident for the Arena. Gives El paso time to find a resident.

If you got the time...

Search El Paso History Alliance on FB.

These are the bozos spearheading the fight against the arena. Help me knock them off their high horse. It is sickening how much they buy into their own hype.

They claim they have no prob with the location but they have to challenge the city on the ballot language.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT