ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball?????

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
Not a very impressive beginning today. Barely beat a Div II team that was 11-17 last year and we beat them 105-58 two years ago. Sad.

Reactions: miner661
It was a little rough -- definitely a work in progress. But I came away thinking we've got some players to work with.

It was the first game at UTEP for many of the players. I thought Winn and Harris did well. I like some of the new guys. It was the first game of the year and doesn't count at all so winning by 2 or losing by 50 doesn't matter. I'm guessing the game against Univ. of Alaska-Fairbanks will be the same as far as the crowd since there's a football later that same day.

Reactions: unihorn
How did Kelvin Jones look?

Better than the scrimmage, I thought. He fouled out, and he didn't play long stretches (stamina/conditioning?), but he had some nice impact plays when he was in there. SE OK ST (wherever that is) had a couple bigs, so it's not like he was going against midgets.

What I was disappointed in was that Adrian Moore and Chris Barnes didn't play that much, in fact not at all in the second half. Instead they had Urbanus in there along with Venegas and Martinez. I believe the freshmen scholarship players should be playing before the walk-ons. They need the in-game experience more than the walk-ons.

What I was disappointed in was that Adrian Moore and Chris Barnes didn't play that much, in fact not at all in the second half. Instead they had Urbanus in there along with Venegas and Martinez. I believe the freshmen scholarship players should be playing before the walk-ons. They need the in-game experience more than the walk-ons.
You are so right. Makes no sense at all.

Floyd will get them going. Today wasn't impressive but I think good things are going to happen this year, we have 3 studs in Artis, Harris,and Winn. We just need a couple of other guys to just be 'solid.'

Floyd will get them going. Today wasn't impressive but I think good things are going to happen this year, we have 3 studs in Artis, Harris,and Winn. We just need a couple of other guys to just be 'solid.'

After six years with no success, what makes you think Floyd will get them going?

It was the first game at UTEP for many of the players. I thought Winn and Harris did well. I like some of the new guys. It was the first game of the year and doesn't count at all so winning by 2 or losing by 50 doesn't matter. I'm guessing the game against Univ. of Alaska-Fairbanks will be the same as far as the crowd since there's a football later that same day.

I seriously doubt that will affect the attendance. :)

And that's all UTEP has. Artis is a warrior type of player. He'll get points a la Vince Hunter style without the stupid fouls (i.e.-constant over the back calls Hunter would always get) and when Harris is feeling it, he is feeling it big time but that comes and goes. Winn is like Artis, a warrior in the paint. All of CUSA will be playing in the paint on Winn. If I were a CUSA coach, shut down Winn and you shut down most of the offense. He's the Aaron Jones of UTEP basketball; he'll get his points, just don't let him go off.

It's going to be a frustrating year Miner fans. Just enjoy and support the team and hope Floyd rides off into the sunset after this year.

Positives:
We outrebounded them by 9.
Shot 50% from 3
76% from free throw line
17 offensive rebounds
34 to 22 points in the paint
First year players look good. I wish we'd seen more of them.

Negatives:
20 turnovers (yikes)
Poor defensive effort allowing high shooting percentage

Overall:
Defense needs to get much stronger. Jones needs more patience and learn to move his feet better on D. We need his presence in the middle if Wilms is going to be off and on. Harris needs to look for his shot more. Eliminate lazy passes. Saw a lot of that Saturday and at the scrimmage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT