ADVERTISEMENT

Bleh

UTEPfan1966

MI VIP
Apr 26, 2016
I guess it was too much to expect another strong performance when we really needed it. Johnson still baffles me with his lineups. So Flaggert has been "good enough" to stay here 4 years, but down the stretch he gets zero minutes in 2 out of 3 games? Oh btw, in that other game he played 25 minutes in a game we won by 29! Also, he's played in 27 games. (I'm not trying to defend Jake, I'm just using him as an example off the craziness)
I really don't know why I dwell on this year's team. It's been over for quite some time. It is crazy to think we have a very good chance not even making the conference tournament.

On the other hand, ,the sooner the season is over, the sooner Senter can hire the man to wake the sleeping giant...

In my opinion, the lineup Johnson started and played down the stretch gave us the best chance to win (Willms, Thomas, Osborne, Harris, and Gilyard). The problem is that lineup once again showed it was not good enough to beat a bad Rice team, comprised of a ton of freshmen, on the road. Defensively, UTEP was dominated by the Rice showboater, Hunter. On offense, the team hasn't been able to figure out a way to avoid long periods of non-scoring. This is due to several reasons, but on the top of the list is inexperience at the point, not having anyone who can attack the basket, and poor offensive sets. Also, this team has had more ridiculous unforced turnovers than I can remember; often at critical times during the game. Our best hope to make the tournament is for UTSA to beat Rice; keep in mind the UTSA juggernaut got drilled at UNT Thursday, and is playing without their freshman Jackson. Sad.

In my opinion, the lineup Johnson started and played down the stretch gave us the best chance to win (Willms, Thomas, Osborne, Harris, and Gilyard). The problem is that lineup once again showed it was not good enough to beat a bad Rice team, comprised of a ton of freshmen, on the road. Defensively, UTEP was dominated by the Rice showboater, Hunter. On offense, the team hasn't been able to figure out a way to avoid long periods of non-scoring. This is due to several reasons, but on the top of the list is inexperience at the point, not having anyone who can attack the basket, and poor offensive sets. Also, this team has had more ridiculous unforced turnovers than I can remember; often at critical times during the game. Our best hope to make the tournament is for UTSA to beat Rice; keep in mind the UTSA juggernaut got drilled at UNT Thursday, and is playing without their freshman Jackson. Sad.

Spot on. Also agree with the turnover issue. We started the season that way (Boise St) and it has continued throughout. At critical times like you said. Never seen a team full of guys so careless with the ball. Just so much wrong with this team.

Reactions: miner1liner
It's different for the players (especially the seniors), but as you said the sooner the season ends, the sooner we can search for a new coach.. and we need all the extra time we can get to make that hire and begin the recruiting process

Actually it was Wade down the stretch. He had ten points and seven boards in 11 minutes. This has been another Floyd/Johnson strategy; not to play Wade.

Actually it was Wade down the stretch. He had ten points and seven boards in 11 minutes. This has been another Floyd/Johnson strategy; not to play Wade.
Yes, my mistake. I thought Wade did provide a nice spark on offense.

It's different for the players (especially the seniors), but as you said the sooner the season ends, the sooner we can search for a new coach.. and we need all the extra time we can get to make that hire and begin the recruiting process

Whenever our season ends, whether it is tomorrow or next week in the conference tournament, won't make a second of difference in the timing of hiring our next head coach. The schedule is dependent on when the candidates for the job complete their seasons. As far as any pre-interview prep goes, I'm sure that Senter has been doing that for some time now.

Whenever our season ends, whether it is tomorrow or next week in the conference tournament, won't make a second of difference in the timing of hiring our next head coach. The schedule is dependent on when the candidates for the job complete their seasons. As far as any pre-interview prep goes, I'm sure that Senter has been doing that for some time now.

Agree. Timing of the hire won’t be affected. However, in respect to the season that is ongoing, including current players and coaches, there is a pulling back on the reigns in regards to the future. Once the season ends, FULL focus can be dedicated to the process.

I have expressed this before with no real answers. Can Senter approach a candidate while that candidate's season is still ongoing? Can a job be offered? If a job can be offered can the offeree approach recruits? Can the offeree or AD talk to existing players? On the other hand, if a candidate makes the initial contact does that change any of the above?

I have expressed this before with no real answers. Can Senter approach a candidate while that candidate's season is still ongoing? Can a job be offered? If a job can be offered can the offeree approach recruits? Can the offeree or AD talk to existing players? On the other hand, if a candidate makes the initial contact does that change any of the above?
We can look at the Dimel hire as a template for process to be followed in hiring the new basketball coach. The first step needed is to formally announce the position. We can assume that will happen at the end of the UTEP season. When Floyd quit, Senter mentioned Johnson would become interim, and he would be given the opportunity to win the job, so my assumption is that the job still hasn't been posted. Once the job is announced, a list of candidates will be compiled likely with the help of a hiring firm. However, informally, like with any other hire, candidates can choose to express interest, and vise versa for Senter. The bottom line is, until the guy is formally hired, he can't recruit or coach for the new university as this would be a conflict of interest.

I guess it was too much to expect another strong performance when we really needed it. Johnson still baffles me with his lineups. So Flaggert has been "good enough" to stay here 4 years, but down the stretch he gets zero minutes in 2 out of 3 games? Oh btw, in that other game he played 25 minutes in a game we won by 29! Also, he's played in 27 games. (I'm not trying to defend Jake, I'm just using him as an example off the craziness)
I really don't know why I dwell on this year's team. It's been over for quite some time. It is crazy to think we have a very good chance not even making the conference tournament.

On the other hand, ,the sooner the season is over, the sooner Senter can hire the man to wake the sleeping giant...
Dosnt matter when our seasons over, but when the season ends for the new coach.

IMHO, I think our 2 freshman guards have the ability to drive, damn near at will. Gilyard has an impressive burst of speed in which he blows by the defender. He just doesn't do it often enough.

But as usual, you are correct. :)

Gilyard is definitely our best driver. He does finish well for his size, and is good at drawing fouls. It would be nice to see him drive and dish more, but that will come later hopefully. Magee can drive, but he hasn't shown an ability to finish at this level. That is one area in his game that I questioned after watching him in high school. Size is also an issue for both defensively.

I really like Magee's passing ability when he drives. Unfortunately, no one expected it, and his passes mainly became turnovers.

I read on twitter that Magee will 100% be back. He loves it here.

I LOVE Smith's effort. I think with a couple more seasons, he could be a monster. I am afraid he will leave though.

I think Gilyard is a must keep guy. Osborne might be the most athletic in the group, and Wade has the highest ceiling.
Some impact players could turn this thing around in a hurry.

I like Smith's enthusiasm and effort. He does have good potential. For him, if he decides to stay next year, there really is a high probability of extensive playing time. Other than Paul Thomas, there really will be no one to compete for minutes (currently); and although it is probably not his best position, Smith can be used at the 5. Smith will need to improve a ton defensively if he hopes to defend an athletic 4. He also needs to work on finishing on offense.

The situation is a bit different for Wade and Osborne, in that they have similar skill sets. This year, Wade has been used as an undersized 4. However, like Osborne, he is really a natural wing player. As such, I question if they can play together effectively; and playing time could easily become a reason to contemplate transfering. I actually see a similar situation with Magee and Gilyard, and with them both being in the same class, I think it raises the possibility of a transfer even more. All of this speculation is really irrespective of who is hired as the new coach, so that will of course be another big factor for all the guys in their decision to stay or move on.

I like Smith's enthusiasm and effort. He does have good potential. For him, if he decides to stay next year, there really is a high probability of extensive playing time. Other than Paul Thomas, there really will be no one to compete for minutes (currently); and although it is probably not his best position, Smith can be used at the 5. Smith will need to improve a ton defensively if he hopes to defend an athletic 4. He also needs to work on finishing on offense.

The situation is a bit different for Wade and Osborne, in that they have similar skill sets. This year, Wade has been used as an undersized 4. However, like Osborne, he is really a natural wing player. As such, I question if they can play together effectively; and playing time could easily become a reason to contemplate transfering. I actually see a similar situation with Magee and Gilyard, and with them both being in the same class, I think it raises the possibility of a transfer even more. All of this speculation is really irrespective of who is hired as the new coach, so that will of course be another big factor for all the guys in their decision to stay or move on.

Very similar skill sets. Remind me of two other Miner greats who had very similar skill sets...and had great success playing on the court together. Ralph Davis and Johnny “Smooth” Melvin. Davis went 6’6” as does Wade. Smooth went 6’5”, as does Osborne.

Both Davis and Melvin averaged 10 and 5 over their careers. Both could play the 2 and 3. Osborne and Wade can play those two positions interchangeably as well, which would allow for both to be on the court at the same time...much of the time. May be a stretch, but maybe not.

Great point FanatiCoog. And really with Harris graduating, that two spot is wide open. That same team with Melvin and Davis, also featured Prince and Rivera in the backcourt, often playing at the same time. That was a special team, that could really defend as well. Let's see if the new coach can keep these guys together.

Great point FanatiCoog. And really with Harris graduating, that two spot is wide open. That same team with Melvin and Davis, also featured Prince and Rivera in the backcourt, often playing at the same time. That was a special team, that could really defend as well. Let's see if the new coach can keep these guys together.

That’s what I’m talking about. Spot is wide open.

Yeah man, I miss those Haskins teams that could defend so well. And especially that 91-92 squad. Such a well rounded group. My all time favorite Miner team.

I think the bucket list of the new coach is:
1) Determine who of the existing team he
wants to keep and convince them to stay.
2) Go after "athletic" inside guys. I love Tyrus, but he needs conditioning and
coaching to avoid the constant fouls.
His attitude is terrific.
3) A shooting guard to replace what we once had with Omega.

If Thomas could bring what we all know he has " every game" and Wade plus Osborne improve with playing time with the above additions we could be OK. I doubt that a new coach would seek a JC point guard, so hopefully between Gilyard and Magee it'll develop.
Trying not to expect too much too soon

Really don’t see a reason for anybody to leave, unless they don’t get along with the other players. Each have a skill set that can complete a team. We just need a few inside players.
Stay together Miners and the ceiling is high!!

I remember a Haskins team missing the WAC tournament in the 90s. I'm happy to see our men's team pull together to beat UNT. I hope they get one back vs. UTSA on Wednesday.

Rice wound up losing big to UTSA so UTEP was getting in either way.

Why would any of them transfer and lose a year? Wouldn’t somebody leave so that they could get a fresh start and or play under a new coach? Well...that opportunity is about to present itself here, too.

Reactions: axingfools1
Why would any of them transfer and lose a year? Wouldn’t somebody leave so that they could get a fresh start and or play under a new coach? Well...that opportunity is about to present itself here, too.
Touchet could leave as a graduate transfer, but I think he stays. The only guy I really think might leave may be Wade (based on his brother's previous comments). I hope they all stay and help be a part of turning this thing around with the new coach. A few more peices and this team could turn the corner quickly. Keeping Gilyard is #1.

Touchet could leave as a graduate transfer, but I think he stays. The only guy I really think might leave may be Wade (based on his brother's previous comments). I hope they all stay and help be a part of turning this thing around with the new coach. A few more peices and this team could turn the corner quickly. Keeping Gilyard is #1.

I think Wade could thrive under the right conditions. He has the potential to be very good on both sides of the floor. I hope he stays too.

Remind me what his brother said.

I think Wade could thrive under the right conditions. He has the potential to be very good on both sides of the floor. I hope he stays too.

Remind me what his brother said.
After Floyd stepped down, Wade's brother tweeted that Wade was gone, and then deleted it. Wade missed a few games and then left for the death of a family member. Had us all wondering what the heck...

Also points of interest are Wade's brother and Smith's brother. I think UTEP has offered the latter.

Not sure. Just a gut feeling honestly
Gilyard was under-recruited because of his size. He was a top player in Chicago but had no real power 5 offers that I remember. Do you think he showed enough at UTEP to be lured in by a power 5 team? Wanting to play closer to home might be another issue. Then there is sitting our a whole year too. Gilyard is a smart kid. He will make the best decision for himself based on what opportunities are presented. I think they all stay, even Wade. Wade already used a prop 48 year and would have to sit out another. That would leave him at a similar level school for 2 years and no wiggle room in case of injury.

After Floyd stepped down, Wade's brother tweeted that Wade was gone, and then deleted it. Wade missed a few games and then left for the death of a family member. Had us all wondering what the heck...

Also points of interest are Wade's brother and Smith's brother. I think UTEP has offered the latter.
Trevin Wade currently plays for powerhouse Monterde Academy, and looks to have some lower mid-major offers. Treylan Smith is a rising junior, and may be the most talented of all. He came on an "unofficial" visit with his mom when they visited Tirus in El Paso in December. Hopefully, that is a good indication that Tirus plans to stick around. Smith was definitely a Floyd recruit out of high school, so that may be a big factor.

Something observed about Wade has been his apparent disinterest contrary to the rest of the team. While they celebrate success from the bench, he displays no emotions at all, even remaining on his butt while teammates are high fiveing. That may have gotten better in recent games...I hope. He is very athletic and with time plus good coaching his defensive flaws are correctable.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I thought I read where Gilyard’s family pushed him to pick UTEP to get away from home and the gang violence of Chicago - I just don’t see him going home and as much as he’s running the point here now why go somewhere else to sit a year and hope that it’s your team in a couple of years

Gilyard was under-recruited because of his size. He was a top player in Chicago but had no real power 5 offers that I remember. Do you think he showed enough at UTEP to be lured in by a power 5 team? Wanting to play closer to home might be another issue. Then there is sitting our a whole year too. Gilyard is a smart kid. He will make the best decision for himself based on what opportunities are presented. I think they all stay, even Wade. Wade already used a prop 48 year and would have to sit out another. That would leave him at a similar level school for 2 years and no wiggle room in case of injury.

That’s a very good point. I hope Wade considers it from that perspective.

Trevin Wade currently plays for powerhouse Monterde Academy, and looks to have some lower mid-major offers. Treylan Smith is a rising junior, and may be the most talented of all. He came on an "unofficial" visit with his mom when they visited Tirus in El Paso in December. Hopefully, that is a good indication that Tirus plans to stick around. Smith was definitely a Floyd recruit out of high school, so that may be a big factor.
The attitude of Tirus is exactly a 180 from Wade's. He is the Champion Cheerleader.

Reactions: Lil_Train
The big factor with Gilyard, and the other new guys is that they would need to build a relationship with a new coach who did not recruit them. I think that keeping a current assistant may help to bridge that gap. Of course, that decision will be completely up to the new coach. Also, I believe the NCAA is still debating whether or not transfers will need to sit out a year before playing again. If that rule is passed, it makes it easier for guys to transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT