ADVERTISEMENT

Boise State game at 1:30 12/25 on ESPNU

Nobody is hoping for a loss.

giphy.gif

Do we have anybody that can defend the rim besides Hawkins? Horrible defense there. Bryson just got pushed out of the way.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Technical difficulties with the stagnant and careless turnovers on offense, the only reason UTEP lost today. Rodney Terry out coached again on offense against another equal or better team. Damn.

Reactions: picks up
Terry really needs to figure out our interior defense and inbound defense.

Besides that, what does Terry do about the turnover issue?

Idk what vila has shown to get back out there. Terry needs to open his eyes. He isn’t deserving of his scholarship imo. The refs always seem to play against us, but always feel like I’m being biased being a utep homer. They call flop and easy techs on us but never when the other team does the same. Why they didn’t give the tech when the guy dunked the ball way after the whistle shows. If one of ours did that they’d be at the line shooting free throws. On the bright side we did better with our turnovers, but shot horribly as a team and were out coached once again. Terry needs to find another way to do things because teams are figuring out how to defend Bryson. That was the difference this game

One positive from this tournament is I think Archie and tarke are getting settled in the rotation and we look better with them than without

Idk what vila has shown to get back out there. Terry needs to open his eyes. He isn’t deserving of his scholarship imo. The refs always seem to play against us, but always feel like I’m being biased being a utep homer. They call flop and easy techs on us but never when the other team does the same. Why they didn’t give the tech when the guy dunked the ball way after the whistle shows. If one of ours did that they’d be at the line shooting free throws. On the bright side we did better with our turnovers, but shot horribly as a team and were out coached once again. Terry needs to find another way to do things because teams are figuring out how to defend Bryson. That was the difference this game
I thought Bryson looked tired out there today. The team has a terrible time scoring without him. I'm still not sold on Archie or Tarke based on their loose handles, but Vila is a real liability especially on defense right now. Tough loss against a pretty good team. We had no answers for Alston.

A homer who has common sense. I like it.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
A couple of observations after this tourney in no particular order of importance or priority. These observations and $5 might get you a cup of burnt coffee at Starbucks. FYI, I hate their coffee. McDonald's coffee is WAY WAY WAY better and doesn't cost as much:

1. Tarke: I love this guy. Thank you, Coach Terry, for giving him meaningful minutes against both Ball and Boise States.

That said, those minutes have made it possible for us to finally see hints of why he wasn't playing much before. He can't shoot. He's big, he's strong, he's incredibly explosive offensively and able to create underneath and able to put back on the rare occasion he's able to get an offensive rebound, and he's impactful defensively changing their shots and causing them havoc underneath. I like him and Verhoeven on rotation filling the same role understanding that he has significantly higher upside potential offensively.

But right now, he can't shoot. Period. Full stop. The kid cannot shoot.

2. Boum: The kid has a huge heart. He's finally finding his shot and becoming more of an offensive threat with his speed and, gulp, his *shot*. And, in my very humble opinion, he's a pretty solid defender. Long arms, good feet. Maybe just a bit clumsy at times. Not quite as clumsy as Hawkins who still tends to get out of control.

3. Lathon: He seems to play better when Tarke is in the game alongside him. I don't know if they've developed chemistry in practice or whatever but he seems to play better when Tarke is in the game. Take out Tarke and Lathon returns to being ineffective.

4. Vila: I like him in a contributor role where he's splitting minutes with Verhoeven and Tarke. He can contribute effectively with reduced minutes.

That's it. Enjoy your coffee.

A couple of observations after this tourney in no particular order of importance or priority. These observations and $5 might get you a cup of burnt coffee at Starbucks. FYI, I hate their coffee. McDonald's coffee is WAY WAY WAY better and doesn't cost as much:

1. Tarke: I love this guy. Thank you, Coach Terry, for giving him meaningful minutes against both Ball and Boise States.

That said, those minutes have made it possible for us to finally see hints of why he wasn't playing much before. He can't shoot. He's big, he's strong, he's incredibly explosive offensively and able to create underneath and able to put back on the rare occasion he's able to get an offensive rebound, and he's impactful defensively changing their shots and causing them havoc underneath. I like him and Verhoeven on rotation filling the same role understanding that he has significantly higher upside potential offensively.

But right now, he can't shoot. Period. Full stop. The kid cannot shoot.

2. Boum: The kid has a huge heart. He's finally finding his shot and becoming more of an offensive threat with his speed and, gulp, his *shot*. And, in my very humble opinion, he's a pretty solid defender. Long arms, good feet. Maybe just a bit clumsy at times. Not quite as clumsy as Hawkins who still tends to get out of control.

3. Lathon: He seems to play better when Tarke is in the game alongside him. I don't know if they've developed chemistry in practice or whatever but he seems to play better when Tarke is in the game. Take out Tarke and Lathon returns to being ineffective.

4. Vila: I like him in a contributor role where he's splitting minutes with Verhoeven and Tarke. He can contribute effectively with reduced minutes.

That's it. Enjoy your coffee.
I was having a Leinenkugel's "Snowdrift Vanilla Porter" when reading your sober analysis, but it does have a coffee taste. Thank You.

Ugh. I couldn't watch. Kids and family in the house and I get angry.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT