ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

We haven't even seen this guys play and we are already coming
to conclusions. Lets give this young men a chance to showcase.
I will be at the games and support this young guys.

GO Miners...

Sullivan's status. His Twitter post says "Committed". Is it necessary to commit if you are a walk on? Maybe you can explain how that works. Anyway, he seems to have enough to offer to be an asset. Don't you agree? He looks to be a clone of Osborne.

Sullivan is only here to help this team limp along until our class is fully eligible next year.

He def has some skill and attributes, but nothing that seems to imply he's D1 capable.

Pros:
- He can seemingly use both hands to dibble and finish, and he can shoot from anywhere on the floor.
- Based on his highlights, he has the ability and isn't afraid to finish after contact

Cons:
- his shot release is pretty slow, and he doesn't like to jump high during the release (not a good combo against D1 level defensive guards)
- The level of competition he played in HS appears to be very low.
- While he can dribble, he certainly isn't exceptional at it

Basically, he's a walk-on for a reason. I'm sure he'll get some minutes and have some moments during this upcoming season, but anybody with reasonable skills should be able to contribute to a team that has such little in the way of talent and depth.

It's gonna be a looooong season, and Sullivan ain't changing that. Next year could be the turnaround of the century though, as long as our class stays intact.

Sullivan's status. His Twitter post says "Committed". Is it necessary to commit if you are a walk on? Maybe you can explain how that works. Anyway, he seems to have enough to offer to be an asset. Don't you agree? He looks to be a clone of Osborne.

He could’ve been a committed walk in somewhere else. Semantics aside, I look forward to the teams growth this year as we’re aiming for a good run next year.

He could’ve been a committed walk in somewhere else. Semantics aside, I look forward to the teams growth this year as we’re aiming for a good run next year.
I guess he just elected to use the term " Committed" of his own accord when he announced he was coming to UTEP.

So really 7 scholarship availables is gonna be tough this year! Hoping we still get a 6'8 plus Grad Transfer. N e way not expecting much this coming year, but Terry has set up the excitement for 2019/2020 for sure. Next year if we get to .500 and maybe CBI or CIT, its a Positive Season for what Floyd left us.

Did nobody see the other 2 Fresno Transfers?????
I believe that Terry brought them in to help with the team culture. They know Terry and the staff and what to expect. Walk-ons rarely get playing time and I don't expect anything different from the norm. However. it would be a nice surprise if one of them or more become a regular contributor(s).

Sit our his first year most likely due to grades. If grades are fixed after after that year he is aloud to play the full 4 years after that. He can not "officially" practice with the team but can play "pickup ball" with them. No interactions with coaches until grades clear
Sit our his first year most likely due to grades. If grades are fixed after after that year he is aloud to play the full 4 years after that. He can not "officially" practice with the team but can play "pickup ball" with them. No interactions with coaches until grades clear
Wow! Can't believe EP1 didn't jump all over you ( or did he?) for "aloud" instead of "allowed". Pretty sneaky picks up. He either likes you or he's losing his editing touch.

Reactions: picks up
Wow! Can't believe EP1 didn't jump all over you ( or did he?) for "aloud" instead of "allowed". Pretty sneaky picks up. He either likes you or he's losing his editing touch.
I'm pretty embarrassed that I made that mistake twice. Nice catch

I still don't understand how Stroud reclassified and is now a Prop 48. Does anybody have a good explanation? I was really looking forward to seeing him play this year.
Me too. He's one of the newbies that I had counted on for big playing time and big contributions. Kinda disappointing that we didn't have a heads-up on his actual status.

well here are the walk on transfers that nobody is talking about , Why would a player that plays for Belgium walk on? He looks pretty good for a walk on?

For somebody that has me on ignore it's ironic that you still care what I write.

well here are the walk on transfers that nobody is talking about , Why would a player that plays for Belgium walk on? He looks pretty good for a walk on?

Campbell and the kid from Belgium look serviceable. This is ESPN analysis of Campbell as a HS prospect.

ESPN Analyst
Updated 07/08/2014
Strengths:
Campbell is a jack-of-all-trades type of prospect with an ideal frame and a good dose of athleticism. Campbell can lead the break and attack the defense with his strength and savvy. He is a quality passer off the dribble and knows how to find open shooters after attacking the teeth of the defense. In transition he has the strength to finish through contact as well as the bounce. Defensively, he slides his feet well enough to guard multiple positions and he has the mindset of a winner.
Weaknesses:
Campbell needs momentum to attack quicker defenders and improving his initial burst off the dribble will benefit his game. His jump shot has improved, but he still needs to continue to smoothen out his release.In addition, his handle has improved as well, but he needs to get his dribble lower and add to his dribble moves (crossover, changing speeds, etc) to improve his game.
Bottom Line:
Campbell is an interesting prospect for the next level. If he continues to improve his handle and jump shot, he should garner solid Division I interest.

Campbell and the kid from Belgium look serviceable. This is ESPN analysis of Campbell as a HS prospect.

ESPN Analyst
Updated 07/08/2014
Strengths:
Campbell is a jack-of-all-trades type of prospect with an ideal frame and a good dose of athleticism. Campbell can lead the break and attack the defense with his strength and savvy. He is a quality passer off the dribble and knows how to find open shooters after attacking the teeth of the defense. In transition he has the strength to finish through contact as well as the bounce. Defensively, he slides his feet well enough to guard multiple positions and he has the mindset of a winner.
Weaknesses:
Campbell needs momentum to attack quicker defenders and improving his initial burst off the dribble will benefit his game. His jump shot has improved, but he still needs to continue to smoothen out his release.In addition, his handle has improved as well, but he needs to get his dribble lower and add to his dribble moves (crossover, changing speeds, etc) to improve his game.
Bottom Line:
Campbell is an interesting prospect for the next level. If he continues to improve his handle and jump shot, he should garner solid Division I interest.
Need all the help we can find to back up our seven (7) scholly players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT