ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

I'm hoping Terry clears up Deon Stroud's status for this coming year. If he is indeed a Prop 48 guy, as many of us have speculated, then we are even more thin at the 2G/SF spot. Also hoping for a surprise grad transfer or two.

I think you wrong. I think Utep has plenty of SGs and SFs.

I'm hoping Terry clears up Deon Stroud's status for this coming year. If he is indeed a Prop 48 guy, as many of us have speculated, then we are even more thin at the 2G/SF spot. Also hoping for a surprise grad transfer or two.
Yes I hope he clears any concerns, but I just don't see how one can reclassify up and then need to sit out (as a prop 48) due to grades. Makes no sense to me.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Yes I hope he clears any concerns, but I just don't see how one can reclassify up and then need to sit out (as a prop 48) due to grades. Makes no sense to me.
I also would like to know if it's a clear path for Eze knowing that there were problems with out-of-country players Osborne and McSwinney (sp) which were both last minute surprises as I recall. What time is the presser?

This is what we have playing for the upcoming season. So starting 5?

Jacobe Dill-SG
Ezeagu-PF/C
Gilyard-PG
Hawkins-SG
Odigie-PF
Osborne-SF
Magee-PG
Rhyanes-C
Stroud-SF
Sullivan-G
Thomas-F

This is what we have playing for the upcoming season. So starting 5?

Jacobe Dill-SG
Ezeagu-PF/C
Gilyard-PG
Hawkins-SG
Odigie-PF
Osborne-SF
Magee-PG
Rhyanes-C
Stroud-SF
Sullivan-G
Thomas-F

Haven’t the slightest clue, but based upon what little I know I’d prefer...

Eze - Efe, Rhaynes
Thomas - Efe
Osborne - Hawkins
Hawkins - Magee
Gilyard - Magee

Purposely have a couple guys spelling in a couple positions. Just don’t know the other guys we’ll enough to plug em in.

Eze - Efe, Rhaynes
Thomas - Efe
Osborne - Hawkins
Hawkins - Magee
Gilyard - Magee

Purposely have a couple guys spelling in a couple positions. Just don’t know the other guys we’ll enough to plug em in.
These guys against this team:
Boum
Stroud
Tarke
Verhoeven
Williams

Should make for good practices.

Anyone else have a feeling this team will resemble BG’s first year? I think they’ll play hard, hang around a lot of games, but will simply lose to lack of depth.

It’s going to be a fun season knowing the circumstances and expectations.

Eze - Efe, Rhaynes
Thomas - Efe
Osborne - Hawkins
Hawkins - Magee
Gilyard - Magee

That's exactly the starters I'd pick.

Click on the link to watch the replay.
Thanks a bunch pal.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Anyone else have a feeling this team will resemble BG’s first year? I think they’ll play hard, hang around a lot of games, but will simply lose to lack of depth.

It’s going to be a fun season knowing the circumstances and expectations.
Yes...my expectation level is down considerably, considering how many have to wait till 2019.
I think looking at JDubb's list that Sullivan is another 2019 guy. I am hoping Dill might surprise us. His HS stats are pretty nice.
Do I count only seven scholly players on the 2018 roster? Thomas, Gilyard, Osborne, McGee, Eze, Efe and Hawkins.

Well, this season will be a bummer for me. Most of the players i want to see play will be sitting out this year. Don't really get to evaluate the talent other than nigel

Yes...my expectation level is down considerably, considering how many have to wait till 2019.
I think looking at JDubb's list that Sullivan is another 2019 guy. I am hoping Dill might surprise us. His HS stats are pretty nice.
Do I count only seven scholly players on the 2018 roster? Thomas, Gilyard, Osborne, McGee, Eze, Efe and Hawkins.

So you’re saying things may be bad now, but the Calvary is coming

Eze? Efe?
Efe most likely needs to slim down a bit. Eze will show somes good flashes this year, but won't have much help. Jones should have never left. Its gonna be a fun season being able to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Gilyard
Hawkins
Osborne
Thomas
Rhyanes (Until one of the Freshmen seize the job)

These guys against this team:
Boum
Stroud
Tarke
Verhoeven
Williams

Should make for good practices.

You bring up a very good point. Even though they won’t play in any games this year, the transfers should provide these guys with good competition in practice and if everything goes right they could hit their stride come January/February.

Eze - Efe, Rhaynes
Thomas - Efe
Osborne - Hawkins
Hawkins - Magee
Gilyard - Magee

Dont you guys see the other 2 fresno transfers?

This upcoming season we have Osborne and Hawkins to fill both spots; and I wouldn't consider either a true small forward, especially in terms of being able to defend other 3's. I don't consider that plenty.

In college basketball irs basucally 3 guards and 2 fowards or bigs now. SF is not really around anymore.

In college basketball irs basucally 3 guards and 2 fowards or bigs now. SF is not really around anymore.
No. Basically, the 6'5-6'9 guy who can run in transition, hit open 3's, and guard multiple positions has become the most coveted person in basketball and they are SF's.

What you're seeing less in basketball now is prototypical big men who play with their back to the basket.

I guess Garrett Sullivan is immediately eligible or am I missing something? Looking at his videos, he has something to offer. He is quick, agile, a rebounder and can shoot the three, etc. Terry obviously sees ability. Might be an immediate contributor, especially with our already shorthanded status.

I guess Garrett Sullivan is immediately eligible or am I missing something? Looking at his videos, he has something to offer. He is quick, agile, a rebounder and can shoot the three, etc. Terry obviously sees ability. Might be an immediate contributor, especially with our already shorthanded status.
I believe Sullivan is coming in as a walkon, like Dill and the other two Fresno transfers. Due to depth issues this year, they will need to play some minutes, assuming Terry does not fill the last two spots with grad transfers. This is not optimal. They are walkons for a reason. An example is a guy like Rhyanes, who did not see any floor time last year, on a team that was severely shorthanded on the inside. Any injuries\defections to any of the scholarship guys would make it an even more difficult season. Terry definitely loaded up for 2019, but next year looks like another tough one. Quite frankly, I am not looking forward to another season like last year. If there is a chance to grab a couple of one year rental grad transfers, in my opinion, Terry should jump all over that.

I just listened to yesterday's press conference with Terry and It sounded like he has been very impressed with Hawkins. Terry emphasized Hawkins' attributes more than any of the other freshman. He said that Efe and Eze are going to have time to develop this year but it sounded like Hawkins is ready to go as a freshman. Did anyone else that saw the presser get that feeling?

I just listened to yesterday's press conference with Terry and It sounded like he has been very impressed with Hawkins. Terry emphasized Hawkins' attributes more than any of the other freshman. He said that Efe and Eze are going to have time to develop this year but it sounded like Hawkins is ready to go as a freshman. Did anyone else that saw the presser get that feeling?
yep, there was an uptick in his voice and demeanor when he talked about Hawkins.

I believe Sullivan is coming in as a walkon, like Dill and the other two Fresno transfers. Due to depth issues this year, they will need to play some minutes, assuming Terry does not fill the last two spots with grad transfers. This is not optimal. They are walkons for a reason. An example is a guy like Rhyanes, who did not see any floor time last year, on a team that was severely shorthanded on the inside. Any injuries\defections to any of the scholarship guys would make it an even more difficult season. Terry definitely loaded up for 2019, but next year looks like another tough one. Quite frankly, I am not looking forward to another season like last year. If there is a chance to grab a couple of one year rental grad transfers, in my opinion, Terry should jump all over that.
Sullivan's status. His Twitter post says "Committed". Is it necessary to commit if you are a walk on? Maybe you can explain how that works. Anyway, he seems to have enough to offer to be an asset. Don't you agree? He looks to be a clone of Osborne.

yep, there was an uptick in his voice and demeanor when he talked about Hawkins.
I actually exchanged some tweets with Hawkins right after he committed. Seems like a super person with a special attitude. I was teasing him about a nickname and after offering a couple suggestions he said he preferred, "Hawkeye". We are fortunate to have a winner like him on board.

Reactions: jdubb66
Sullivan's status. His Twitter post says "Committed". Is it necessary to commit if you are a walk on? Maybe you can explain how that works. Anyway, he seems to have enough to offer to be an asset. Don't you agree? He looks to be a clone of Osborne.
Based on some of the guys Terry targeted late (after the signing period deadline passed), it was clear he was looking for another shooter. Looking at the few returnees from last year, that makes a lot of sense. I think if one of the walkons can provide that, they could have a role on the team next year. It is infrequent that a qualified high school basketball D1 prospect is overlooked and available this late in the recruiting process. On Sullivan, or any other prospect, it is nearly impossible, to make an accurate assessment based on online video highlights. However, he looks like a guy that can hit open shots. I don't think he is near the athlete that Osborne is, just based on those highlights. He is "committed" because the deadline for signing a NOI has passed, but he is a member of the team. Perhaps Terry will end up extending a scholarship to one of these guys this year, but he did not mention that yesterday. It is difficult for an experienced transfer player to come in, adjust, and contribute right away. For a freshman walkon to make an impact, it is even harder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT