ADVERTISEMENT

Dimel should be fired right now.

The defense has gotten worse.
It really has. We rarely generate a pass rush. When we finally blitz, we get burned for a big play. Our secondary has a tendency to play off by about 10 yards when the receivers only need 5 for a first down. Our LBs are hot and cold throughout the game. They will make a good tackle, and then the next play, be completely out of position It's aggravating!

Dimiel has no excuses for the team look this bad this late in year two. Even if you don’t have the players to win execution should be better.
They cannot get both sides of the ball to play good at the same time. Offense finally put up yardage and points, defense couldn't get stops or turnovers to get us the ball back.

UTEP can't fire Dimal this year because of the contract. A five year contract was not smart. Should have been a four year and they could have added a year extension. That being said. We don't know why applied. There are position coaches at P5 schools that make more than Dimal. Maybe they wanted someone who had been a head coach before and Dimal was the only one to apply. Senter has done a good job with his other hires, basketball, soccer and volleyball. I think the football hire was totally missed for several reasons.
1. When Kuglar quit Still was still the AD. That means Stull put together the football head coaching qualifications.
2. Allowing Senter to stay at the Citadel as long as they did. That is on Natalicio.
3. The new early signing period messed up our first recruiting class. we needed to hire a football coach sooner and didn't understand the impact that letting Dimal stay at KSU through their bowl game.
Most of this mess falls at the feet of Natalicio as she was also on her way out.
With that being said, if Dimal doesn't fire both coordinators then Dimal would have to go as well.

UTEP can't fire Dimal this year because of the contract. A five year contract was not smart. Should have been a four year and they could have added a year extension. That being said. We don't know why applied. There are position coaches at P5 schools that make more than Dimal. Maybe they wanted someone who had been a head coach before and Dimal was the only one to apply. Senter has done a good job with his other hires, basketball, soccer and volleyball. I think the football hire was totally missed for several reasons.
1. When Kuglar quit Still was still the AD. That means Stull put together the football head coaching qualifications.
2. Allowing Senter to stay at the Citadel as long as they did. That is on Natalicio.
3. The new early signing period messed up our first recruiting class. we needed to hire a football coach sooner and didn't understand the impact that letting Dimal stay at KSU through their bowl game.
Most of this mess falls at the feet of Natalicio as she was also on her way out.
With that being said, if Dimal doesn't fire both coordinators then Dimal would have to go as well.

At the Miner Press conference today which was played on SportsTalk, Kap asked Dimel about his 4-5 year plan. He talked about it's going to take 4 full recruiting classes to realize his vision. Kap mentioned that the first recruiting was essentially last year. Dimel said the goal in recruiting this year is to find 6 Juco plug and play guys to add to the HS class coming in. Dimel mentioned that this is what he discussed with Senter when taking the job that there was an understanding that in order to build for sustained success there could be no shortcuts. The plan from Day 1 was a slow build that would lead to a bowl team in year 4 with sustained success from then on.

Kap mentioned that the Dimel is taking a very patient approach because hes been given that liberty but the fan base has lost patience.

LB Stephen Forester petioning for another season.

Dimel mentioned Wadley will be back next season and have a good group of rbs next season. Played a young Oline other than Gatewood. Majority of the WR's return.

At the Miner Press conference today which was played on SportsTalk, Kap asked Dimel about his 4-5 year plan. He talked about it's going to take 4 full recruiting classes to realize his vision. Kap mentioned that the first recruiting was essentially last year. Dimel said the goal in recruiting this year is to find 6 Juco plug and play guys to add to the HS class coming in. Dimel mentioned that this is what he discussed with Senter when taking the job that there was an understanding that in order to build for sustained success there could be no shortcuts. The plan from Day 1 was a slow build that would lead to a bowl team in year 4 with sustained success from then on.

Kap mentioned that the Dimel is taking a very patient approach because hes been given that liberty but the fan base has lost patience.

There will be no fan base next year once they start out 0-3 and hope to God they beat NMSU in that 4th game. Better to get a new coach take those 0-3 lumps

Dimel mentioned Wadley will be back next season and have a good group of rbs next season. Played a young Oline other than Gatewood. Majority of the WR's return.

There are reasons to be optimistic, but at the same time there are A LOT of reasons to feel like we may not be that much more improved. And when you look at last year, compared to this year it’s tough to say this team took a step forward. The defense is giving up more points than last year, and they are way worse in 3rd and 4th down percentage. The offense is almost the same, which means they’re still awful and the team has given up more penalties.

KL is gone. His arm was terrible and it showed big time.

Kugler ran an offense that was popular pre WWII and took UTEP to a bowl game by year two. Price did it with previous staff recruits.

What is Senter promising media and those with bullhorns pushing a narrative that numbers don't back up? Look Senter, those who follow closely know UTEP is stuck with Dimel. Don't BS fans.

Instead give fans a breakdown of Dimel's goals to get to at least .500 next year. It doesn't need to be detailed but put that on social media along with the team doing workouts.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106

Coming into the season wasn't the oline supposed to be our strength this year?

Reactions: kickballpro
Well I suppose a magic switch will automatically flip in year four. I don’t see two wins next year. I don’t understand how we’re going to go from three wins in three years to a guaranteed bowl season in year four. Without any progress along the way we have to blindly believe and continue to support the program.

I haven't wasted any time following UTEP football since it was obvious right away it was going nowhere. I would like to hear from you Diggers your take on what Dimel and Senter claim the present status of the program is. Do they actually say that there is progress? Do they say we are better now than the first day of Dimel in 2018? If they claim a little improvement every day; can they point to any specific area where this has happened?
I honestly can only see the individual game results with nothing else to reference, but in those simple terms; in my judgement no claims can possibly be made of improvement in any category.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I haven't wasted any time following UTEP football since it was obvious right away it was going nowhere. I would like to hear from you Diggers your take on what Dimel and Senter claim the present status of the program is. Do they actually say that there is progress? Do they say we are better now than the first day of Dimel in 2018? If they claim a little improvement every day; can they point to any specific area where this has happened?
I honestly can only see the individual game results with nothing else to reference, but in those simple terms; in my judgement no claims can possibly be made of improvement in any category.

My wife wishes I had that in me. All the cussing at the TV I do while watching a Miner fb game. The let down. The SMH. For whatever reason, it’s like a bad car crash I have to look at as I drive by. I know it’s gonna be bad but for some reason am compelled to look.

I agree. No improvement can be pointed to. In fact I think the defense has actually regressed as a whole. It’s tough to watch...but I do.

In all honesty I think this program is in worse shape today than it was when Dimel took over. That's a damming statement considering we were 0-12 when Dimel took over.

This year year has been the worst season I can remember. The one win was as against the last place team in the Southland. Honestly looking back HBU gave that game away.

I dont care how good your recruits are. They can be 5* and they cant overcome poor coaching. This is the most poorly coached team I've ever seen. Time management is terrible. Half time adjustments are non existent. The play calling is atrocious. This is easily the most undisciplined team in the country. Week after week we shoot ourselves with stupid penalties. The disturbing part is that it'sDimels recruits who are committing the stupid penalties. Its plain to anyone who's watched this team that Dimel has no clue what hes doing nor do he have control over the team.

The biggest issue is there is nothing in Dimel's background that suggests he can turn this around. He took over a 10 win Wyoming team Joe Tiller. It was there best team in the last 50 years. Under Dimel they slipped each if the three seasons. It's well chronicled the disaster he oversaw at UH which almost resulted in them shuttering the program. There is absolutely no data to suggest Dimel can build a program.

What a bunch of pathetic fans! The coaches and players are working hard to play football for us. We’re lucky they even perform for us bastards. A lot of schools around the country are jealous of our 2-33 record since 2017.

I suggest everyone on here, stop crying and purchase 2020 season tickets. Also, giving a hefty donation to the MAC will ensure the University continues to keep and hire quality coaches. Go Minerssssssssss!

2010 & 2014 New Mexico Bowl Participant

This is my opinion that I derived from reading in between the lines. I’ll start by saying the bromance between the two might be even worse than Kugler and Stull. Senter is giving Dimel job security despite the negative results. This could be because he believes in the five-year plan or because he is keeping it professional and doesn’t want to scare away recruits.

Dimel’s actions tell another story. He must feel pressure to win, and that’s why he goes with the starters that give him the best chance at victory. Or maybe he’s clueless and is squandering the opportunity to develop his recruits during the last four games cuz he doesn’t believe in his own plan. Or since he has five recruiting classes before showing any progress, there’s no urgency.

There are several examples within our conference of university’s building football programs from scratch in less time and with more “success” than it will take us. That’s just the way the pick swings for UTEP football

In all honesty I think this program is in worse shape today than it was when Dimel took over. That's a damming statement considering we were 0-12 when Dimel took over.

This year year has been the worst season I can remember. The one win was as against the last place team in the Southland. Honestly looking back HBU gave that game away.

I dont care how good your recruits are. They can be 5* and they cant overcome poor coaching. This is the most poorly coached team I've ever seen. Time management is terrible. Half time adjustments are non existent. The play calling is atrocious. This is easily the most undisciplined team in the country. Week after week we shoot ourselves with stupid penalties. The disturbing part is that it'sDimels recruits who are committing the stupid penalties. Its plain to anyone who's watched this team that Dimel has no clue what hes doing nor do he have control over the team.

The biggest issue is there is nothing in Dimel's background that suggests he can turn this around. He took over a 10 win Wyoming team Joe Tiller. It was there best team in the last 50 years. Under Dimel they slipped each if the three seasons. It's well chronicled the disaster he oversaw at UH which almost resulted in them shuttering the program. There is absolutely no data to suggest Dimel can build a program.
I couldn't stand the Lee years. Never, ever did I imagine it would be worse than those years but yet after the last four years, here we are.

I was there for the awful Lee and Bailey years. This three year stretch has been worse. Even "A Meaner Breed" won a game over a D1 team

The Baily years game me hope. They played hard for him.
Agree on Bailey Stanman. Those teams were very physical, especially on defense. Plus the teams they were playing were much better. This year's schedule of creampuffs was as easy a group of opponents I have probably ever seen. Dimel will likely not have a D1 win this year. That is as bad as all the Lee, Bailey, and Nord years.

Dimel will likely not have a D1 win this year. That is as bad as all the Lee, Bailey, and Nord years.

No, it’s not. David Lee, Charlie Bailey, and Gary Nord beat a FBS team every season. They didn’t have any seasons where their lone win was over a FCS school.

2 wins in 2 years is unacceptable, I don’t care how bad your team is, and how major the rebuild is. If he wants to say we need better players and they need to grow... fine I’ll give them that.
But you can’t excuse this coaching staff from failing to select a QB all year, the lack of discipline and dumb penalties that constantly plague this team, the questionable play calling and the bad coaching down the stretch. This staff has blown just as many games as the players.

UTEP Recruiting

2014 - National Rank 118 CUSA 12. 3 Star Athletes- 3. Class included Stephen Forester, Darren Gatewood, Trayvon Hughes.

2015 - 128/13. 3Stars - 1. Class includes Kavika Johnson, Terry Juniel, Michael Lewis.

2016 - 125/13. 3Stars - 3. Class Includes Mark Torrez, Walter Dawn, and Q Wadley.

2017 - 133/14. 3Stars - 1.Class Includes Alex Fernandes, Josh Fields, Forrest McKee.
2018 - 129/14. 3Stars - 3. Class Includes Kai Locksley, Justin Garrett, Justin Prince

2019 - 112/12. 3Stars - 7. Class Includes Deion Hankins, Jacob Cowing, TJ Goodwin

2020 - 3Stars - 4 So Far. Class Includes Willie Eldridge, Jayden Goodwin, Ricky Johnson.

Reactions: develman
In 2010, recruiting class was 85/5. With 12 3Star players.
In 2012, recruiting class was 106/9 with 6 3Star players.

Its really been an abysmal Decade of Recruiting.

I just don't know how to feel anymore. While I understand Kugler left us in a shithole, I also want wins. But....

I see where Dimel has recruited kids that are a LOT better than we had. I see his loyalty towards the kids that stuck around post kugler era and are rewarding them with playing time. I also see he wants to get the young kids to grow physically and mentally....give them a year or so....I get that....

But....I also see the bad calls weekly, and the horrible game plans. Cox was our best coach last year and now he sucks.

Honestly, money aside, I think firing Dimel would be the wrong move. No matter how it seems today, we NEED to see if he can turn it around with his kids. I want wins more than the average guy, but remember how bad it was to start.

And minerforlife, I know you have hated this hire since day negative one, but your knee jerk over reaction is old. Fire Senter because you hate this hire? Flat out stupid. Maybe your boss should fire you when you miss on a decision.....
I am out...

I just don't know how to feel anymore. While I understand Kugler left us in a shithole, I also want wins. But....

Fire Senter because you hate this hire? Flat out stupid. Maybe your boss should fire you when you miss on a decision.....
I am out...

Sean Kugler won 4 games in 2016. His 4th year as head coach, so he had 4 classes of his own recruits and presumably some of Price’s leftovers. How did he win 4 games that year, but left a “shithole” for Dismel?

I don’t know what minerforlife does for a living, but if he hired a guy for 700k a year and that person was shown to be totally inept, minerforlife’s ass would be on the line.

I believe you own a bar right? What’s your threshold for a bartender coming up short on the register or giving away alcohol? I bet you won’t say, as it’s probably in the 100s of dollars or even less.

Agree on Bailey Stanman. Those teams were very physical, especially on defense. Plus the teams they were playing were much better. This year's schedule of creampuffs was as easy a group of opponents I have probably ever seen. Dimel will likely not have a D1 win this year. That is as bad as all the Lee, Bailey, and Nord years.

A few sad facts about our last Division 1 home win:

- Sean Kugler was still head coach
- if they are on a four-year plan, the students who were incoming freshmen are now fourth-year seniors
- starting running back Aaron Jones left the game to a standing ovation in the third quarter after rushing for over 300 yards. It was his last game as a Miner
- Barack Obama was in the White House

Reactions: Lil_Train
Houston Baptist is Division I. They would count for bowl eligibility, if UTEP were to somehow win 6 games.

They're just FCS, not FBS.

Just like Northern Arizona, who beat UTEP last season.

A few sad facts about our last Division 1 home win:

- Sean Kugler was still head coach
- if they are on a four-year plan, the students who were incoming freshmen are now fourth-year seniors
- starting running back Aaron Jones left the game to a standing ovation in the third quarter after rushing for over 300 yards. It was his last game as a Miner
- Barack Obama was in the White House
giphy.gif

Last year RICE was worse than us. During the off season they landed the 111th recruiting class we got the 112th class. So the talent is the same from our meeting last year. You can see the clear improvement in their scores.

Army 14
Rice 7

(10) Baylor 21
Rice 13

RICE 20
LT 23 (ot)

RICE 27
UTSA 31

RICE 6
USM 20

RICE 7
Marshall 20

plus the two conference wins.

Where’s our improvement? The only loss that could have gone either way is the seven point loss at home to Charlotte. Other than that we’re not really a threat to win any other game.

I don’t mind losing, we’ve done it all our life, but we’re not showing anything in our losses that says this will get better after three more recruiting classes.

No surprise. Never thought he’d be gone this year. If Senter is sincere, he won’t be gone after next year either. Kind of scary when he talks about seeing results in year 6 and 7. F*#k...not Stull 2.0 please.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
No surprise. Never thought he’d be gone this year. If Senter is sincere, he won’t be gone after next year either. Kind of scary when he talks about seeing results in year 6 and 7. F*#k...not Stull 2.0 please.

Oh well, Senter will have to give away tickets for people to go next year. Unfortunately ya fans will have to suffer if Dismel ball.

I’m still holding out hope for a resignation.

Worst case scenario (for football and Senter) is basketball blows up over the next two years, CRT moves on and we are left to start over in basketball while football stills sucks. That would be 4 years in....

Can Senter afford to stay the course and keep Dimel another 2 plus years? Attendance and fan confidence is falling and if things don’t turn around I can only imagine how bad it’s going to be in a couple more years.

I think Senter is worse than Stull. He had a big showing the first month or so and tried to engage fans. And now he's basically silent on Twitter with no original posts. He also doesn't answer fan questions.

Let's just say hypothetical for a minute that a student athletic fee is implemented and UTEP raises 7.5 million next year (Dimel year 3). Then let's say that for the 1st year all that money is thrown at football (buying out Dimel, hiring a new coach and staff, recruiting etc). Who would you say Senter should hire (or what category of coach) and what kind of contract should he get and with what expectations? Please be specific.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT