ADVERTISEMENT

Dimel should be fired right now.

Let's just say hypothetical for a minute that a student athletic fee is implemented and UTEP raises 7.5 million next year (Dimel year 3). Then let's say that for the 1st year all that money is thrown at football (buying out Dimel, hiring a new coach and staff, recruiting etc). Who would you say Senter should hire (or what category of coach) and what kind of contract should he get and with what expectations? Please be specific.

Even if a fee is implemented I don't think it would raise 7.5 million.

Let's just say hypothetical for a minute that a student athletic fee is implemented and UTEP raises 7.5 million next year (Dimel year 3). Then let's say that for the 1st year all that money is thrown at football (buying out Dimel, hiring a new coach and staff, recruiting etc). Who would you say Senter should hire (or what category of coach) and what kind of contract should he get and with what expectations? Please be specific.
One of Skip Holtz's sons.

Can Senter afford to stay the course and keep Dimel another 2 plus years? Attendance and fan confidence is falling and if things don’t turn around I can only imagine how bad it’s going to be in a couple more years.

I think everybody knows what I think of Dimel, BUT the answer to your question most likely hinges on what happens next year. I don’t expect things to go much, if any, better. As you said, attendance will plummet even more. Senter hasn’t weathered this shit show nearly as long as we, the fans, have and because of that he can’t empathize with us. He wasn’t part of Floyd and Kugs staying well beyond their welcome. For him, this is just a couple year drought. For us...well we know how thirsty we are.

That video caused a reaction for sure
giphy.gif

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think Senter is worse than Stull. He had a big showing the first month or so and tried to engage fans. And now he's basically silent on Twitter with no original posts. He also doesn't answer fan questions.

That may well be. Stull didn’t always suck. I think he became more and more complacent over time, especially over the last 5-7 years. Time will tell.

That may well be. Stull didn’t always suck. I think he became more and more complacent over time, especially over the last 5-7 years. Time will tell.
I don't think he got complacent. He stopped listening and kind of walled himself away from El Paso. Price didn't work out. Kugler was a total bust and by is own public self admission at Kugler's media departure event, he discovered Kugler had no idea what it took to run a FBS program.

Reactions: minermx07
I don't think he got complacent. He stopped listening and kind of walled himself away from El Paso. Price didn't work out. Kugler was a total bust and by is own public self admission at Kugler's media departure event, he discovered Kugler had no idea what it took to run a FBS program.

Meh. We obviously have different ideas of what constitutes complacency.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Let’s take a synonym of complacent and use indifferent. Either way, he checked out. Look at the other sports hires with how long they were allowed to stay as well.

Senter interview was just BS. I’m not on the fire Senter train, but either that was all BS or blinders. No program can survive the lack of fan support Dimel is going to get for the last game or next season.
I home someday UTEP turns this around. We are moving to San Antonio so I won’t be around to see it. But I will always be a MINER!!!

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Dimel mentioned at his press conference Monday that it will take 4 recruiting classes to turn the program around. I think in a way most of us fans were a bit surprised/discouraged to hear this. Then, it comes out that Dimel had had a long talk with NMSU’s coach Martin prior to the game Saturday in which Martin talked about how it took 4 years to turn NMSU’s program around. I couldn’t help but feel like the “four recruiting classes” remark was sort of an unoriginal thought from Dimel based on this. Martin’s comments seem to have added some ammo to Dimel’s arsenal of excuses for this season. I understand that a program takes time to build a strong foundation, and four years in all honesty is not unacceptable. But it seems that the public is just now hearing of this timeline once two terrible seasons have been played and are now in the books.

Then, it comes out that Dimel had had a long talk with NMSU’s coach Martin prior to the game Saturday in which Martin talked about how it took 4 years to turn NMSU’s program around. I couldn’t help but feel like the “four recruiting classes” remark was sort of an unoriginal thought from Dimel based on this.

Martin sure was turned that program around! Let’s take a look !

Year 1 2-10
Year 2 2-10
Year 3 3-9
Year 4 3-9
Year 5 7-6
Year 6 3-9
Year 7 2-9

So Martin did have a “good” 5th year, especially for NMSU standards, but what about last year and this year? Shouldn’t his recruiting efforts be continuing? That’s an excellent con he has to get a contract extension.

Dismel and Martin are those guys that say they have ideas in job interviews, but say they will only tell you after they’re hired. “Gotta wait until year 4” Year 4 comes and they have an excuse to make it to year 5. “About to turn the corner here boss, just need 1 more year”.

Are we really as sad as NMSU that we are going to believe in this con???

Dimel mentioned at his press conference Monday that it will take 4 recruiting classes to turn the program around. I think in a way most of us fans were a bit surprised/discouraged to hear this. Then, it comes out that Dimel had had a long talk with NMSU’s coach Martin prior to the game Saturday in which Martin talked about how it took 4 years to turn NMSU’s program around. I couldn’t help but feel like the “four recruiting classes” remark was sort of an unoriginal thought from Dimel based on this. Martin’s comments seem to have added some ammo to Dimel’s arsenal of excuses for this season. I understand that a program takes time to build a strong foundation, and four years in all honesty is not unacceptable. But it seems that the public is just now hearing of this timeline once two terrible seasons have been played and are now in the books.

On one hand I feel like 4 years is too much, especially if this team is undisciplined. Playing smart football will probably win you more football games too. But at the same time the only way this program could get turned around immediately is if UTEP paid an unreal amount of money to bring in a big name established coach who could recruit impact players on name alone, sort of like what Florida Atlantic did when they hired Lane Kiffin.

No surprise. Never thought he’d be gone this year. If Senter is sincere, he won’t be gone after next year either. Kind of scary when he talks about seeing results in year 6 and 7. F*#k...not Stull 2.0 please.

If he thinks itwill take six to seven years, that’s fine. There should be a schedule with clear goals outlined to make sure Dimel is on track.

For example:
Years 1-2
At least two wins per season or more.
Recruiting classes 115th or better.

Years 3-4
Four wins or more
Recruiting classes in the top 100

Years 5-6
Six wins or more
Bowl
Division Contender
Recruiting classes in the top 85

Senter’s current spiel isn’t flying because we are experts of bad football and this is worse than that.

BTW Senter has a long ways to go before being able to be called Stull 2.0. I don’t mean that as a jab to Stull.

But I I know what you meant.

I agree completely 1992, if Dimel thinks NMSU is the model of a “turnaround” then that’s a problem.

If he thinks itwill take six to seven years, that’s fine. There should be a schedule with clear goals outlined to make sure Dimel is on track.

For example:
Years 1-2
At least two wins per season or more.
Recruiting classes 115th or better.

Years 3-4
Four wins or more
Recruiting classes in the top 100

Years 5-6
Six wins or more
Bowl
Division Contender
Recruiting classes in the top 85

Senter’s current spiel isn’t flying because we are experts of bad football and this is worse than that.

BTW Senter has a long ways to go before being able to be called Stull 2.0. I don’t mean that as a jab to Stull.

But I I know what you meant.

Absolutely agree. 6-7 years isn’t all that long provided there are theses incremental goals that are being hit, or even at least approached. That there is a definite upward trajectory to the success of the program from year to year.

I realize turning a program like ours around will take some time. I just haven’t seen improvement in ANY area, at least on a consistent basis. If it’s not consistent, it really doesn’t qualify as improvement. My fear is that Dimel gets 4-5 years and the improvement is so minimal that Senter is at that point forced to pull the trigger. Can you imagine 2-3 more years of this? Then starting from scratch again?

So my questions to Dimel would be, what TANGIBLE goals were reached this year? (There probably isn’t a whole lot Dimel can say they actually improved on). What tangible goals will you reach next year? Like you said, jcorona, lay the 1 year plan out and the long term plan out and at least come within range of those goals. And then Senter has to absolutely hold Dimel accountable to those goals. It was just disheartening to hear Senter say 6-7 years when we haven’t seen anything to warrant even another 2 years.

BS or not, Dimel said this was his plan in his 1st interview with Kap right after being hired.

Hey I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out axing.
I kinda cringed during that interview, thinking that it could be used as an excuse later. So here we are.

He also layed out his coaching history and how he was highly qualified to turn around this program. I was really hoping we would see some results sooner, but he hasn't lived up to his own billing so far. Obviously he will tell us that he needs more time, but NOBODY has asked him about discipline, play calling, etc...

I think Senter is worse than Stull. He had a big showing the first month or so and tried to engage fans. And now he's basically silent on Twitter with no original posts. He also doesn't answer fan questions.
Just asked him one yesterday and he answered back.

Dimmel had the hutzpah to get hired despite being massively unqualified for the job. Now, he's trying, to con his way to a contract extension and raise if he somehow manages to get 3 wins in the next few years.

Can't blame a con man for playing the game.

Dimmel had the hutzpah to get hired despite being massively unqualified for the job. Now, he's trying, to con his way to a contract extension and raise if he somehow manages to get 3 wins in the next few years.

Lol, what makes him 'massively unqualified?' Hes been coaching 33 years, spent a decade as an OC in the Big 12, been a head coach twice before.

You can argue he isnt the right guy for the job but hes not unqualified.

Last edited:
Lol, what makes him 'massively unqualified?' Hes been coaching 33 years, spent a decade as an OC in the Big 12, been a head coach twice before.

You can argue he isnt the right guy for the job but hes but unqualified.

This may be a battle of semantics. However, I hear your argument is his tenure makes him qualified. I say his record makes him unqualified, untouchable.

Saying Dimmel deserves a D1 head coaching job is the same as saying some old fighter deserves a shot at the belt because he's fought a lot of fights against a lot of good fighters. That's my position.

Whenever Dimmel was without Snyder, the results were bad.

Incorrect about him not being qualified. He won at Wyoming as HC. Got hired at Houston and didn't do well, but started to turn the corner when the next coach came I and won with his talent. Then was a long time OC under Kansas St. He wouldn't have been most Miner fans pick obviously, but why is he under qualified?

Gary Nord, David Lee, Sean Kugler, Charlie Bailey, were all assistant coaches that were first timers at UTEP. Bob Stull, Bill Ying, and Mike Price were previous Head Coaches but were successful in other jobs.

UTEP has hired assistants, UTEP has hired former head coaches. No matter who has been the HC, it's been a tough gig.

Gary Nord, David Lee, Sean Kugler, Charlie Bailey, were all assistant coaches that were first timers at UTEP. Bob Stull, Bill Ying, and Mike Price were previous Head Coaches but were successful in other jobs.

UTEP has hired assistants, UTEP has hired former head coaches. No matter who has been the HC, it's been a tough gig.

UTEP is definitely a hard job. I was frustrated with Price at times, but I never wanted him fired or for him to retire because I thought he was doing a good job relatively speaking.

UTEP is definitely a hard job. I was frustrated with Price at times, but I never wanted him fired or for him to retire because I thought he was doing a good job relatively speaking.

You’re right. Should have kept the coach with 7 straight losing seasons. Guess it would for surely have been better after that.....

Incorrect about him not being qualified. He won at Wyoming as HC. Got hired at Houston and didn't do well, but started to turn the corner when the next coach came I and won with his talent. Then was a long time OC under Kansas St. He wouldn't have been most Miner fans pick obviously, but why is he under qualified?

My answer to kickball about his tenure in Houston being such a disaster is my answer to you. Again, I reiterate my point that length of his tenure is a poor justification for his hire.

It would be like hiring a doctor who lost their licence because you're impressed by the number of surgeries he's performed.
Nevermind, those surgeries were botched. You're impressed by the amount of years he's been incompetent.

Doesn’t mean Price should have kept his job. There is no difference between going 4-8 every year instead of 1-11. Marginal at best.
There’s a huge difference. 1-11 means we are one of the worst teams in the nation. 4-8 or 5-7 the average of Mike Price during his first nine years mean we are one game away from a bowl and a top 80 team.

I’ll gladly take 4-8 and 5-7 seasons compared to what we have seen the last three years.

I wanted Price fired after season 5? The season we blew the game against East Carolina and then lost out. Stull should have acted right then to keep up upward trajectory. Instead we have regressed 100 years.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Both records suck, why should we settle for 4 or 5 wins. Price needed to go and so does Dimel. However he will be here at least one more year and probably two.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Both records suck, why should we settle for 4 or 5 wins. Price needed to go and so does Dimel. However he will be here at least one more year and probably two.

Why? Because we are UTEP. Have you seen our football history? We are not going to suddenly become Alabama or Texas or LSU and win 8 - 10 games every year and compete for national championships. The BEST we can hope for is 4-5 wins on average with the occasional 8 wins and a bowl game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT