ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

This Staff is most certainly putting in the work, very impressive. The big question is.....can UTEP keep CSW if he leads the Miners to new heights on the field? It remains to be seen.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
This Staff is most certainly putting in the work, very impressive. The big question is.....can UTEP keep CSW if he leads the Miners to new heights on the field? It remains to be seen.
Define “keep”
Contract length?
3 years then buyout?

I’m not hoping for anything longer than 3 years. Either the program will have been very successful to not only have him poached but also continue to bring it solid coaches and build on the foundation

Or

He leaves because the sun bowl is truly cursed

To me it doesn’t matter. If he is highly sought after in a couple years, then something special happened here.

I am guessing Bob Stull is the only coach in the last 50 years that ever became a head coach again after being UTEP’s head coach.

To me it doesn’t matter. If he is highly sought after in a couple years, then something special happened here.

I am guessing Bob Stull is the only coach in the last 50 years that ever became a head coach again after being UTEP’s head coach.
Agree. The only thing that will matter is how UTEP handles the potential transition to springboard any success.

UTEP has been a graveyard for coaches. Anyone that can win here and parlay that into a high paying gig at a bigger school has earned it. I think, even if he has an average record at UTEP in 3 years schools will look at him because of his energy, enthusiasm and how well he’s been able to recruit to UTEP in a short amount of time. If a lower lever P5 school is willing to give him a 7 figure contract, and they probably have boosters with deeper pockets, an established NIL and better facilities why stay?

@PoppaPop has already said the CSW is ambitious and wants to be at a P5 school soon, so I'm sure at any sign of success he'll be gone. I'm hoping for at least two seasons in El Paso, but if he manages to turn things around this year then I'm going to assume he's as good as gone.
Really?? The season hasn't even started and people are already crying over coaches leaving? Let's just enjoy the upcoming season and thank the coaches for working hard to trying to improve the program. Stop dwelling over if coaches are jumping ship.

@PoppaPop has already said the CSW is ambitious and wants to be at a P5 school soon, so I'm sure at any sign of success he'll be gone. I'm hoping for at least two seasons in El Paso, but if he manages to turn things around this year then I'm going to assume he's as good as gone.
Can you just stop and let it go over this? The season hasn't started yet and you are nagging over losing a coach?

• Haha
Reactions: JeeberD
I’ll answer that for you, No! We are a stepping stone program. The only way people stay is if nobody wants them

I disagree I think if Utep can up it's pay maybe some coach will stay?? But I think it all depends on the wifey. Walden and his family is young and he did have a child in El Paso. So he already has and El Pasoan in his family. Maybe he could stay a little longer until his family gets a little older.

Wow..... a lot of emotions. I just asked a question. Sport sites are always talking the, "what ifs", what if X QB leaves for the Irish? What if X 10 million dollar coach leaves for WhatsamatterU? What if the G5 starts their own Playoff? Fans ask questions and as a fan of Miner Athletics, I am always hoping for the best. I decided to ask the fan base rather than shake my 8 Ball and get an answer.
If CSW is successful on the field as he is at recruiting then of course he can move on. UTEP will gain financially, so I just hope the powers that be can come up with a plan/package to keep him here for at least 4-6yrs.

Anyway, looking forward to the CSW era.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Really?? The season hasn't even started and people are already crying over coaches leaving? Let's just enjoy the upcoming season and thank the coaches for working hard to trying to improve the program. Stop dwelling over if coaches are jumping ship.
I'm crying and dwelling on this? Nah...I'm just answering the question that was asked if we could keep CSW if he leads the Miners to new heights. I just provided some information that was given by someone who knows CSW better than all of us. There was no crying or dwelling. Honestly, I'm happy that we got that information, and I'm keeping an emotional distance and won't get my heart broken like I did when CBG and CTB left the basketball program. I'm just being realistic.

Wow..... a lot of emotions. I just asked a question. Sport sites are always talking the, "what ifs", what if X QB leaves for the Irish? What if X 10 million dollar coach leaves for WhatsamatterU? What if the G5 starts their own Playoff? Fans ask questions and as a fan of Miner Athletics, I am always hoping for the best. I decided to ask the fan base rather than shake my 8 Ball and get an answer.
If CSW is successful on the field as he is at recruiting then of course he can move on. UTEP will gain financially, so I just hope the powers that be can come up with a plan/package to keep him here for at least 4-6yrs.

Anyway, looking forward to the CSW era.
If a P5 comes calling we’re not keeping Walden, plain and simple. The schools and alumni are throwing millions of dollars into NIL deals, facilities, coach buyouts and they’re running massive deficits without batting an eyelash. Walden signed a 5 year deal and he’s probably making more Dimel which was 800k so we’re on the hook for 4.5-5 million over the life of the contract. So in terms of a buyout I don’t think it’s a number that a P5 school would balk at. 3, 4, or even 5 million isn’t a number schools and boosters would balk at.

I rather put money into keeping players from leaving than higher coaching salary. For example I'd pay more to keep Boum than say give money to a coach. Or let's say Cowing and Byers.

I hope UTEP becomes a stepping stone again. Better than being the coach purgatory. It means our program is having success.
Yes, but I just hope that those taking the steps are coaching 4 to 5yrs to maintain stability, if that happens UTEP will be in a better financial situation to at least compete for some high end coachs'.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT