ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Goodone, Goodwin, Good Win. You know, for as great an athlete as he is, I've never seen anyone prouder to be a Miner. Not at his age anyway.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Dammit! My sister passed away from cancer two weeks ago and was a big Cowboy fan. She would have loved this story.

Sorry to hear that.

It seems like this kid left A&M and went to Mesa CC in search of more playing time. And he attracted some college offers before his diagnosis. This kid aparently has a hell of a lot of fight in him and I hope he can contribute on the field for The Miners.

UTEP commit AJ Carter just caught a Hail Marry to win the 6A state championship. He announced 2 days ago that Utah State has offered, which means that he obviously didn’t sign with UTEP during the December signing period. He didn’t produce a lot of stats this season, but did come up big on the final play of the Texas High School football season.

He has not been offered by OU, he retweeted someone else's tweet stating that they had received an OU offer.

I watched that entire game and will post AJ Carter thoughts after signing day, regardless of whether he signs with us or not. But option #1, #2, and #3 needs to be signing Hankins.

He has not been offered by OU, he retweeted someone else's tweet stating that they had received an OU offer.

I watched that entire game and will post AJ Carter thoughts after signing day, regardless of whether he signs with us or not. But option #1, #2, and #3 needs to be signing Hankins.

I don’t think we can understate how important signing someone like Carter would be. We need help at WR really bad. He can go up and get it. We haven’t had that in a while.

It looks like we are coming out of a dead recruiting period this week. With only 4 weekends left until Signing Day, I wonder if UTEP will be hosting any official visits this weekend?

Mascorro was tough and a very hard worker, I just don’t think that he was in a D1 defensive lienman body. Thus he had no other D1 offers out of high school and he is now transferring to a lower division. Two coaching staff’s kept trying him at different positions, but he wasn’t big enough to play inside and wasn’t quick enough to play outside. I think this is welcome news that Dimel might be “cutting” some players and opening up some more scholarships. Hopefully we hear about some more players soon.

I presonally think that losing Elmore is a bigger deal than losing Mascorro. I am wondering if Elmore maybe didn’t qualify for the mid-year transfer as expected, which led to his “unforeseen” comment about us and him “going our separate ways”?

Mascorro was tough and a very hard worker, I just don’t think that he was in a D1 defensive lienman body. Thus he had no other D1 offers out of high school and he is now transferring to a lower division. Two coaching staff’s kept trying him at different positions, but he wasn’t big enough to play inside and wasn’t quick enough to play outside. I think this is welcome news that Dimel might be “cutting” some players and opening up some more scholarships. Hopefully we hear about some more players soon.

I presonally think that losing Elmore is a bigger deal than losing Mascorro. I am wondering if Elmore maybe didn’t qualify for the mid-year transfer as expected, which led to his “unforeseen” comment about us and him “going our separate ways”?
Judging by his post about visiting eastern Michigan, maybe he wanted to play closer to home?

Tomorrow, 1/15/19, is the last day to sign mid-year JC transfers. Will be interesting to see if UTEP signs some more.

Saw the tweet that an Arkansas assistant is coming to recruit EP today. Looks like they are probably still making a push for Hankins.

There are 3 weekend left before signing day. If we hear of Hankins taking any visits during the next 3 weeks, then we might be in trouble.

The UTEP connection to the 2016 Class AA state champion at Refugio is now fully broken. LB Kobe Herring transferred out before last season while Trace Moscorro, a starter at DE, has split for Sam Houston State.

Herring, I hear, is out of football entirely while Moscorro, at about 6-1 and 255 or 260, takes his nominal upside to a lower division.

Good kids, from an outstanding program and a town where H.S. football is king. Wish them both all the best.

But neither was heavily recruited by D-1 schools and ... sighhh ... again, we see that coaches who recruit small-school linemen rarely hit the jackpot. Frankly, the Dimel staff must recruit better players, if the Miners are going to get better.

It's rare at the JC level to see a player have highlights playing both offense and defense. In his HUDL video James has some plays as a CB, RB, he returns Punts, he returns Kick-Offs, and he also has a couple of highlights as a special team's gunner. He appears to be a physical corner and he also gets his head around consistently, which I didn't always see from a couple of our other CB recruits.

I think this is a decent addition.

Last edited:
Call me a hater, call me whatever you want, I know the UTEP football situation, I truly do, I had patience for Kugler, I have patience for Senter overall, but I have officially ran out of patience with Dimel. I hope he can find success here, I really, but stuff like this proves this was a terrible hire. Dammit man.

It also tells you how much of a hill we have to climb. When a school like TCU comes knocking it’s tough to pick UTEP.

Right or wrong, the general perception currently is that this year’s UTEP recruiting class has been mishandled since the late announcement on signing day stating that we weren’t going to be announcing our class with everyone else. This created a gap of nearly two additional months with no official information coming out of UTEP, which means that negative news like this gets magnified even further. So far this week we have lost: Delton, Elmore, Coach T, and a CB target that we had gotten in on a visit. We also had a SEC school in town to visit our top recruit who also didn’t sign in the early period. I’m willing to wait and see the finished product on February 6th, but the momentum is definitely not good right now.

Oh and if Dimel loses Hankins, then i’m afraid that the perception around UTEP’s new start under Dimel will turn into a chernobyl type of meltdown....

Last edited:
Call me a hater, call me whatever you want, I know the UTEP football situation, I truly do, I had patience for Kugler, I have patience for Senter overall, but I have officially ran out of patience with Dimel. I hope he can find success here, I really, but stuff like this proves this was a terrible hire. Dammit man.
I'm not sure this proves Dimel was a terrible hire. I would like to see good one year transfers come to UTEP, but Delton would be hard pressed to choose UTEP over TCU. I think its more a reflection of the programs' current states and the kid's opportunity to win, than a reflection on Dimel.

If I were to try and put a positive spin on things, it would be this; we appear to be good at identifying talent as indicated by some of the big schools that we have lost out to this year. For example, we got Clemons on campus for a visit and he signed in the Big 10, we got Alexander in here on campus for a vist and he signed with the Big 12, we got Delton committed and then he signed with the Big12. We appear to have evaluated talent well in Dimel’s first recruiting class and we appear to be getting competitive with a higher level of recruit during Dimel’s second recruiting class. This again continues to show good evaluation skills, but we will now have to find a way to get kids these on board after we idenitify them early, in order to help prevent us from getting poached late by bigger schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT