ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Good size, height and speed. (4.5 40 according to his bio). If UTEP wants to contend in the West and CUSA, they have to shut down some teams. MTSU is a great example. Expect many juco's in a UTEP jersey next year.

High School: "Buena Park HS: Named 2nd Team All-CIF as a senior and helped his team win the league championship… Voted his team’s Offensive Player of the Year his junior year… Earned 2nd Team All-CIF recognition as a senior on the basketball team… Spent four seasons on the football, basketball and track and field teams….."

Reactions: HeWore62
Looks like Goodwin will enroll in January and go thru spring practice. Should be interesting to see if he develops quickly.

Enjoyed the in home visit with Coach Canales. Cant wait to get out there in January! #PicksUp

DtXc9rrUwAER307.jpg

DtXc9rsUcAAC6zv.jpg

Coach Mike Canales and UTEP Football
2 replies 9 retweets 33 likes

Reactions: JCorona
I would be very surprised if Dimel and Canales aren't recruiting him hard. Dimel recruited him to KSU and coached him for a couple of years. He knows Dimels offense better than anyone and would have a great shot at starting at UTEP for his last year of eligibility. Would be great to get him.

That would definitely put Locksley and Brandon Jones on notice.

(Date of article:6/21/18) "Alexander, meanwhile, could theoretically leave Kilgore (Texas) Junior College and play for a new school right away in 2018. The 6-3, 205-pounder could also play this fall at Kilgore and be a January enrollee. Alexander told the Journal Star this week that he doesn’t have a definite timeline for making his decision, but he’s intrigued by the Husker coaching staff.

“They basically had the chance to leave (UCF before the Peach Bowl), they didn’t have to coach the bowl game, but they stayed back and coached it,” Alexander said. “After that, I really wanted to play for those coaches.”

Alexander, whom NU likes as a versatile outside linebacker a la Breon Dixon, was set to arrive on campus Thursday night, so he will be at Memorial Stadium but not taking part in the camp itself. He has interest from LSU and TCU, but scholarship offers only from smaller schools....." https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_644208e3-11fd-54a6-984b-e0dcbecde8b8.html

According to this website, he is a 3 star player and is currently ranked as the 22nd best JUCO DE/OLB in the nation:

http://gridironrr.com/teams/default.asp?u=GRIDIRONRR&s=football&p=custom&pagename=JUCO+DE/OLB+Rankings

Dimel has shown that he likes to target height. The smallest DB that he has brought in on a visit is 6'1". Here are the heights of the known visitors from the past two weekends:

- 6'5" WR.
- 6'3" LB.
- 6'5" DE.
- 6'4" LB.
- 6'1" DB.
- 6'2" DB.
- 6'3" DB.
+ Deion Hankins.
Just a couple questions:
1.) Can these kids run?
2.) Will they go to class?
3.) Will they stay?

If these prospects can answer in the affirmative, UTEP recruiting may have just turned the corner. And in so doing, will come the W's.

Our two JC commitments(Smith and Banks) are both listed as Redshirt Freshman on each of their JC websites. Banks mentioned this in his commitment, but I think that both guys will have 3 years to play here at UTEP, which makes these potential signings even better.

Our two JC commitments(Smith and Banks) are both listed as Redshirt Freshman on each of their JC websites. Banks mentioned this in his commitment, but I think that both guys will have 3 years to play here at UTEP, which makes these potential signings even better.
And they’re on defense, plugging the holes left by Needham, Beverly and Hotchkins won’t be easy but at least they’re throwing bodies at the problem. Need some WRs.

UCF did it with D-1 transfers. I'm hoping the Miners will go after some of those guys in the off-season. BTW, SMU's QB is transferring.

I am wondering if Tennessee quarterback Will McBride will transfer to UTEP? He is from Texas, but I am not sure if he has a tie to Coach Canales.

I am wondering if Tennessee quarterback Will McBride will transfer to UTEP? He is from Texas, but I am not sure if he has a tie to Coach Canales.
He will have 3 more years of eligibility but would have to sit next season per transfer rules. He supposedly was 4th string by mid 2017 (Canales last season as Tennessee QB coach.

With Elmore at one end and hopefully getting a healthy Simpson back at the other end(he did not play last year), I honestly think that our DE position will be upgraded next year.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT