ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

I'm not sure this proves Dimel was a terrible hire. I would like to see good one year transfers come to UTEP, but Delton would be hard pressed to choose UTEP over TCU. I think its more a reflection of the programs' current states and the kid's opportunity to win, than a reflection on Dimel.
I see and def respect your point, but I respectfully disagree my man.

Senter promised exciting, what do the best FBS programs offer? Excitement.

Dimel has delivered nothing but disappointment with things he can control, I think this situation is a huge reflection on Dimel.

Maybe I’m wrong and I’m not trying to be a dick or anything just trying to make a point, but if Delton trusted Dimel at K-State then here, what happened the past three weeks fails on Dimel, if it was a transfer from Clemson or hell even Buffalo or New Mexico, I can fully agree on your point, but this is a Dimel guy bailing on Dimel, clearly Dimel is having a hard time getting guys to buy in right now and that’s not a good sign in my opinion.

Reactions: axingfools1
If I were to try and put a positive spin on things, it would be this; we appear to be good at identifying talent as indicated by some of the big schools that we have lost out to this year. For example, we got Clemons on campus for a visit and he signed in the Big 10, we got Alexander in here on campus for a vist and he signed with the Big 12, we got Delton committed and then he signed with the Big12. We appear to have evaluated talent well in Dimel’s first recruiting class and we appear to be getting competitive with a higher level of recruit during Dimel’s second recruiting class. This again continues to show good evaluation skills, but we will now have to find a way to get kids these on board after we idenitify them early, in order to help prevent us from getting poached late by bigger schools.
No doubt, great points, I think TJ Goodwin can be the real deal and I’m happy he signed early and has bought in.

Honestly, I wasn't as stoked as a few of you with Delton committing here. To assume we would come in start and be an immediate star based on his stats at k state is assuming a lot. I looked at his stats and thought "Eh ok"
Bigwood, you continue to bash Dimel because you don't like the hire. I get it. An iffy QB from a power 5 school changes his mind and goes to TCU. So this is Dimels fault how? At this stage in UTEP's football life, ANY kid with apparent star status would choose a big time school over us. We are going to work with unknowns and build a reputation with wins and whatnot before we start seeing very many solid lands. Dalton thinks he will do better and have more visibility at TCU. Cool.
As for other things you guys see, I am trying not to over react. Losing a position coach to a P5 school where he will get paid a shitload more isn't a surprise. Losing a lineman from a bad team to a lower level program doesn't phase me one bit. Sure, the signing day crap sucked and hopefully they learned something. I don't think we lose Hankins, but if we do, it's ok. We had a HUGE dumpster fire from top to bottom and a lot of rebuilding is needed.

I don't wish Delton anything bad but this move was really a low blow. If he had told UTEP a week ago it wouldn't have mattered much since UTEP would have had a little time to react and find another transfer. But he decommitted from UTEP on the last day for signing midyear JC transfers. There is a JC QB in California, Cocio, who looks good but I don't see any offers for him. Maybe UTEP just sticks with Locksley, Jones, Goodwin, Torrez and Brownholtz. The RPO offense that Dimel runs seems to eat up a lot of QB's.

Also, UTEP had 4 three star players committed until Elmore either backed off or was dropped due to grads. Now 3 three stars. Carter, the 3 star WR from Houston just bragged on twitter about an in home visit from the wr coach at USM. If he switches that leaves us 2 three stars. Hankins was visited by Arkansas recently. It's going to be interesting on 2/6.

I know I am new here in this thread, however I have been intrigued with what I have read here so my opinion on our football team is:

Jim Senter will need to have patience with Dana Dimel because before Dimel arrived here he was left with a Division II caliber team with players like Herring, Mascorro, and Mark Torrez being seen as Division I caliber players. To add to that Dimel has brought in some of the best coaches this football team has seen in years and losing Coach T is a huge loss but knowing his connections to P5 coaches he bring in another good coach with him. As for recruiting Dimel is going after the right guys that are from here in El Paso like Hankins and Lyles who went to North Texas unfortunately, but this is a guy who is not afraid to recruit big time take Ajani Carter from North Shore and TJ Goodwin from Cypress Falls the biggest school Kugler ever recruited was Odessa Permian. Overall, I think fans like us here on this thread need to be paitent with Dana Dimel teams are not built over night especially this one so paitience is key when it comes to getting the W's here in the 915 but do not worry UTEP's time will come.

....Maybe UTEP just sticks with Locksley, Jones, Goodwin, Torrez and Brownholtz. It's going to be interesting on 2/6.

RPO drives me nuts. Call it what it was meant to be called, "The Pistol". That is what Dimel runs and that is what pays his mortgage. "XY trips" or whatever? Created by Tom Landry, who was actually a smart man, and used by Uncle Rico's. Get me a coach at the college level that can explain or somewhat understand "Planck's Constant" then ok, use your football wannabe nerd terms.

Sorry. KL will be fine for next year. Let's be fair, UTEP was battered like no one's business. That was one of the worst beat up UTEP football teams that I can remember in the last thirty years. Price had a really battered and bruised team his third or fourth year I think, but nothing like last year. I am not a fan at all the "RPO" and not a fan of throw it all and try the kitchen sink offense (Troy Calhoun) that some coaches employ. The spread works and if coached well, it really works; I don't care what hard head coaches like Kugler say. But Dimel doesn't like it either so here we are for the current state of UTEP football. I will give him time. Last year was a "throw away" year for him, so to speak, but now he is on the clock. Also, UTEP needs a Gary Nord assistant for recruiting. Excellent recruiter, horrid HC. But, he brought is one of the best classes in UTEP football the last twenty five years. Merkins, Hollaway, Smith, Palmer, Howard, Darilek, Higgins, and Dorenbos just to name a few and some went pro and some made Price look really good.

Last edited:
I know I am new here in this thread, however I have been intrigued with what I have read here so my opinion on our football team is:

Jim Senter will need to have patience with Dana Dimel because before Dimel arrived here he was left with a Division II caliber team with players like Herring, Mascorro, and Mark Torrez being seen as Division I caliber players. To add to that Dimel has brought in some of the best coaches this football team has seen in years and losing Coach T is a huge loss but knowing his connections to P5 coaches he bring in another good coach with him. As for recruiting Dimel is going after the right guys that are from here in El Paso like Hankins and Lyles who went to North Texas unfortunately, but this is a guy who is not afraid to recruit big time take Ajani Carter from North Shore and TJ Goodwin from Cypress Falls the biggest school Kugler ever recruited was Odessa Permian. Overall, I think fans like us here on this thread need to be paitent with Dana Dimel teams are not built over night especially this one so paitience is key when it comes to getting the W's here in the 915 but do not worry UTEP's time will come.
he's back....

No. That can't be the aggie fraternity of cognitive dissonance. Just a tad too much thought and word count in it.:p

I don't wish Delton anything bad but this move was really a low blow. If he had told UTEP a week ago it wouldn't have mattered much since UTEP would have had a little time to react and find another transfer. But he decommitted from UTEP on the last day for signing midyear JC transfers.

I want to stay positive, so I am looking at it this way: I am glad that we lost Delton, but kept Goodwin. I would much rather have this scenario happen, rather than had we lost Goodwin and kept Delton. Of course I know this wasn't a choice and we could have had both, but Goodwin is much more important to our program than Delton would have been. Losing Goodwin would have seemed like a disaster, while the Delton loss is a softer blow. Looking back on this recruiting class 3 years from now, we have a "chance" to be thrilled with Goodwin and barely remember Delton.

As for AJ Carter, he seems to be fully embracing his new found attention, but I have been trying to put some speed bumps out there regarding him for a while now.

Reactions: HeWore62
Losing Delton is not a big loss in my opinion. His stats at KSU we’re not impressive and he is not the QB who was going to take us to the next level. As some have stated, I would rather have Goodwin on the team and develop him to be our starter in the next coming years. I hope we can still get a good passing QB from JC or another possible transfer. My biggest concern now is keeping Hankins to sign with UTEP. I noticed several good grad transfers available from some good programs out there. I hope Dimel learned from his mistake in not allowing individual commits to announce their signing with the Miners.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
First of all, I wish Delton nothing but good luck where ever he ends up next season. Next season is going to be another long season, and having 2 senior QB's on the roster that can run, but can't pass worth a damn , is pointless. Either find another grad transfer QB that that pass, or give Goodwin more reps next season since he is our future.

I see and def respect your point, but I respectfully disagree my man.

Senter promised exciting, what do the best FBS programs offer? Excitement.

Dimel has delivered nothing but disappointment with things he can control, I think this situation is a huge reflection on Dimel.

Maybe I’m wrong and I’m not trying to be a dick or anything just trying to make a point, but if Delton trusted Dimel at K-State then here, what happened the past three weeks fails on Dimel, if it was a transfer from Clemson or hell even Buffalo or New Mexico, I can fully agree on your point, but this is a Dimel guy bailing on Dimel, clearly Dimel is having a hard time getting guys to buy in right now and that’s not a good sign in my opinion.

he couldn't even get his son to buy in, or change his profile pic to UTEP. That says it all...

Reactions: MineroFanatico
He is from Americas High School here in El Paso same school Fields came from he is a very fast athlete who plays either receiver or running back, Henderson also ran track for Americas. Very fast athlete I think he would fit better at slot receiver but he will more than likely redshirt.

Reactions: JCorona
Henderson has good straight line speed, not very shifty or elusive, but def a legit athlete with FBS suitable speed, he has good hands, Americas ran a shit load of RB swings and hitches to him his senior year, left the team haflway through his senior year at Americas if my memory is correct.

Help me here, neighbors. Henderson and Inyang are recruits for the class of 2020? If it's the class of '19, Inyang is just now getting his first D-1 offer? Please tell me the Dimel staff is not back to the old ways of takin' the leavins'.

BTW, Americas might be the best H.S. program in El Paso, but I wonder. The Americas squad got beat last September -- at home -- by a team from Midland Christian, which has +/- 200 students, grades 9-12.

Help me here, neighbors. Henderson and Inyang are recruits for the class of 2020? If it's the class of '19, Inyang is just now getting his first D-1 offer? Please tell me the Dimel staff is not back to the old ways of takin' the leavins'.

BTW, Americas might be the best H.S. program in El Paso, but I wonder. The Americas squad got beat last September -- at home -- by a team from Midland Christian, which has +/- 200 students, grades 9-12.
How is Americas the best high school program in El Paso?

They've won two district titles, and two playoff games since 1998 and have been outscored 125-12 in their last two playoff games and their overall program record is under .500.

Andress and Del Valle have not missed the playoffs since 2003, have produced two FBS quarterbacks, and both have had double digit win streaks in district play over the past few years, Chapin can also say they have the best program in El Paso....

I see your point, but while it is technically illegal, the private schools do recruit under the radar. They do it in El Paso too. San Antonio, Dallas, Houston "christian" schools do it *(some don't because they have a huge student body). Faith Christian recruits Mexican students. I was at a "Christian" school parent presentation for prospective students last week and one of their folks tried to make it very clear "we can't do that! We don't do that!". Bullcrap alarms were going off in my head. Texas turns a blind eye to Christian schools when it comes to HS athletics. Christian private schools fit the Texas political narrative for social engineering.

Need more help here, neighbors: How does a private school recruit? How is it done, with the scouting and "scholarship dollars" required? Who pays the freight?

Oh, and "social engineering"? Sheer foolishness. I could provide a total rebuttal, front to back, top to bottom, but I'm a little busy these days, creating the next "Miners Are Forever" newsletter.

Actually, I am scrapping my old, traditional newspaper-style layout for a series of quick-hitting blogs. This way, your busy thumbs may scroll your hand-held devices with ease.

Need more help here, neighbors: How does a private school recruit? How is it done, with the scouting and "scholarship dollars" required? Who pays the freight?

Oh, and "social engineering"? Sheer foolishness. I could provide a total rebuttal, front to back, top to bottom, but I'm a little busy these days, creating the next "Miners Are Forever" newsletter.

Actually, I am scrapping my old, traditional newspaper-style layout for a series of quick-hitting blogs. This way, your busy thumbs may scroll your hand-held devices with ease.
Looking forward to the next one!

One more week, and this mouth-breathing knuckle-dragger will have the technical aspects in order. Hope to have the first quick-hitting, blog-style "Miners Are Forever" ready for you, just in time for the annual football Signing Day event.

BTW, I guess you heard the usual annual luncheon has been moved from the traditional first Tuesday in February, to a reception late Wed. afternoon, Feb. 6. More on that and other goodies in the forthcoming MAF.

RPO drives me nuts. Call it what it was meant to be called, "The Pistol". That is what Dimel runs and that is what pays his mortgage. "XY trips" or whatever? Created by Tom Landry, who was actually a smart man, and used by Uncle Rico's. Get me a coach at the college level that can explain or somewhat understand "Planck's Constant" then ok, use your football wannabe nerd terms.

Sorry. KL will be fine for next year. Let's be fair, UTEP was battered like no one's business. That was one of the worst beat up UTEP football teams that I can remember in the last thirty years. Price had a really battered and bruised team his third or fourth year I think, but nothing like last year. I am not a fan at all the "RPO" and not a fan of throw it all and try the kitchen sink offense (Troy Calhoun) that some coaches employ. The spread works and if coached well, it really works; I don't care what hard head coaches like Kugler say. But Dimel doesn't like it either so here we are for the current state of UTEP football. I will give him time. Last year was a "throw away" year for him, so to speak, but now he is on the clock. Also, UTEP needs a Gary Nord assistant for recruiting. Excellent recruiter, horrid HC. But, he brought is one of the best classes in UTEP football the last twenty five years. Merkins, Hollaway, Smith, Palmer, Howard, Darilek, Higgins, and Dorenbos just to name a few and some went pro and some made Price look really good.
Sorry that the acronym RPO gives you such heartburn but it is a commonly use term in football articles all the time. I'm certainly well past the age when I would attempt to be cool or a football wannabe nerd.

As for Landry, you sounded so authoritative on the subject that I just had to look that up. I too respect Landry but he brought the shotgun formation back to life, he did not invent it or the pistol. And the coach given credit for creating the pistol formation is usually Jerry Glanville back in '90. It was popularized by Ault later at Nevada.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Just a few random recruiting thoughts:

- Last year, without posting any names, our new coaching staff was always quick to post gif’s when almost every new recruit committed. When a WR committed, one coach would post a fighter jet plane taking off and say something like “added a new member to the flight squad.” When an O-lineman committed, a coach would post a gif of a moster truck or a tractor pull. Now this year, they have done nothing like this. Why such a complete opposite change from one year to the next?

- There is a guy on twitter named Angel Luna, who has titled himself as “Recruiting Expert” for utep.rivals, but so far for this recruiting class he has not posted any commit information in advance and has only tweeted/retweeted after a recruit has publicly committed, he has not posted any interviews with any commits/recruits, and he has not even posted any information about which recruits visited during a specific weekend. One would expect that a person titled “recruiting expert”, would post a list about which recruits were visiting, post about who was confirmed as coming in during the next weekend for a visit, reach out to some recruits after commitment and post some comments about why they committed to UTEP, or just simply have any type of inside recruiting information?

- From the pics this past weekend, here is what I have been able to piece together; it looks like we had at least 6 visitors in this past weekend. Cousins(CB), Mayers(OL), and Joseph(RB), were 3 of them. Based on body type, the other 3 kids could have possibly been a WR?, DE?, and LB?

- WR commit AJ Carter visited Utah State this past weekend. If I was to guess, then I would say that he will possibly visit Southern Miss and UTEP over the next two weekends.

Sorry that the acronym RPO gives you such heartburn but it is a commonly use term in football articles all the time. I'm certainly well past the age when I would attempt to be cool or a football wannabe nerd.

As for Landry, you sounded so authoritative on the subject that I just had to look that up. I too respect Landry but he brought the shotgun formation back to life, he did not invent it or the pistol. And the coach given credit for creating the pistol formation is usually Jerry Glanville back in '90. It was popularized by Ault later at Nevada.
Sorry. I enjoy your posts. I meant his contribution for what became the spread and other things to the sport. Yes you are correct. My apologies.

Sorry. I enjoy your posts. I meant his contribution for what became the spread and other things to the sport. Yes you are correct. My apologies.
Hey, no need to apologize. I'm not an expert by any stretch, just opinionated I guess and I thought the info should be tweaked a bit. I enjoy your posts as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT