ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Not making excuses but its a bit difficult being thrusted into an interview process prepping for playoffs and then have 3 weeks until signing day to evaluate what you have in the building (minus whats entered the portal) and then be laser focused on what you need (how do you even know what you need?) and then get kids to commit. Spring Ball should shake things out and I would hope watching a ton of film and evaluating what is now here vs. needs --- certainly not as orchestrated as it will be this time next year so my hope things will be even better ....
We definitely have to cut him some slack this season. It's a pretty big jump from FCS to FBS. Not only is he going to have to find players that fit his system, but he's going to have to adjust his system for the change in speed at this level. Next season 4 to 5 wins is respectable. After that, it should be a minimum of 7 if we're headed in the right direction. 🤞🏾

We definitely have to cut him some slack this season. It's a pretty big jump from FCS to FBS. Not only is he going to have to find players that fit his system, but he's going to have to adjust his system for the change in speed at this level. Next season 4 to 5 wins is respectable. After that, it should be a minimum of 7 if we're headed in the right direction. 🤞🏾
Taco, do you think McNamara fits into this offense? I have heard positive things about him, but his lack of size is concerning.

Taco, do you think McNamara fits into this offense? I have heard positive things about him, but his lack of size is concerning.
Which one are you talking about?

I'll say QB no. He had a pretty bad concussion. I'm not sure this offense is going to protect him from further head injuries.
WR definitely! He's really quick and finds hole in zone. Man is where he can excel. He sets people up nicely for his break.

Last edited:
How did we land him? He was committed to Alabama at one point, then Auburn……
Scotty was recruiting him at Austin Peay. He had offers from bama and auburn -- the obvious reason is nobody signs a 6'4" 265 Tight End -- he's too big for TE at either of those schools ... great pickup he can either cut some weight or play on the line HUGE score for UTEP.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Scotty was recruiting him at Austin Peay. He had offers from bama and auburn -- the obvious reason is nobody signs a 6'4" 265 Tight End -- he's too big for TE at either of those schools ... great pickup he can either cut some weight or play on the line HUGE score for UTEP.

Hey PoppaPop,

Are you related to Coach Walden or following him from Austin Peay? Seems like you have a connection.

Which one are you talking about?

I'll say QB no. He had a pretty bad concussion. I'm not sure this offense is going to protect him from further head injuries.
WR definitely! He's really quick and finds hole in zone. Man is where he can excel. He sets people up nicely for his break.
Yep, I was referring to Jake, the QB. Gotta have that QB1.

Reactions: Taco1977
Man -- from what i see ... a great stadium in the SUN BOWL. Great passionate committed fans -- game days must be epic in El Paso (I wont miss any)...

Only thing missing is a positive outlook and results and I'm confident thats about to change.

Man -- from what i see ... a great stadium in the SUN BOWL. Great passionate committed fans -- game days must be epic in El Paso (I wont miss any)...

Only thing missing is a positive outlook and results and I'm confident thats about to change.
I remember the good ole days when I had a positive outlook. When every new season was an opportunity to do something different. But then 20 years later I’m exhausted and running out of smiles.

I remember the good ole days when I had a positive outlook. When every new season was an opportunity to do something different. But then 20 years later I’m exhausted and running out of smiles.
Well JCorona... I think you all have waited long enough. Its UTEPs time CUSA is a league that has parity and i believe we can compete for the title . Someone said 5 wins next year -- well heck if we can get 5 why not a 6th and go to a bowl game!

I have a feeling I will be a miner during a great run.... my first time in El Paso will be the first of the year looking forward to it!!
By any chance are you rich?? Can you donate ? UTEP a indoor practice field. Utep needs some new rich donors.

• Haha
Reactions: MINER.JAY
Well JCorona... I think you all have waited long enough. Its UTEPs time CUSA is a league that has parity and i believe we can compete for the title . Someone said 5 wins next year -- well heck if we can get 5 why not a 6th and go to a bowl game!
Yeah right? This is Liberty's league now, they will be like Gonzaga.

@Nebraska
@Tennessee
@Colorado State
@Louisiana Tech
@NMSU
@WKU
@Liberty
Southern Utah
Jacksonville State
FIU
SHSU
MTSU

Just because I had free time.... this is next year's schedule? We should win all home games, so then we just win one or two on the road? I think it's very doable.
Wait, we only have 5 home games this year? Who screwed up the schedule?

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Wait, we only have 5 home games this year? Who screwed up the schedule?
I like where your head is at here -- the Jax State game is the only home game that worries me... we BEAT NMSU, LATECH and shock the world with a win against one of the big 3 (Nebraska, UT, CState) and go bowling

By any chance are you rich?? Can you donate ? UTEP a indoor practice field. Utep needs some new rich donors.
I wish i had that kinda money... I would buy a house and stay there for the entire season AND oversee the building of an indoor facility. Let's hope Scotty can convince some rich guy to donate the funds. we do need it -- I was blown away by UTSAs facility - WOW.

Austin Peay had a bubble. small one but they had it.

Reactions: JCorona
@Nebraska
@Tennessee
@Colorado State
@Louisiana Tech
@NMSU
@WKU
@Liberty
Southern Utah
Jacksonville State
FIU
SHSU
MTSU

Just because I had free time.... this is next year's schedule? We should win all home games, so then we just win one or two on the road? I think it's very doable.
That is not next years schedule. The non-conference portion is set and UTEP will only have 5 home games. Kennesaw St is joining next year, so they could replace a team, or we could see some “repeat” games from this year’s conference schedule.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I'll make an early prediction after Februarys signings and spring ball. It's way too early.

I like where your head is at here -- the Jax State game is the only home game that worries me... we BEAT NMSU, LATECH and shock the world with a win against one of the big 3 (Nebraska, UT, CState) and go bowling
You fit right in Poppa.

Reactions: PoppaPop
Let's hope Scotty can convince some rich guy to donate the funds. we do need it
If he starts winning, the funds will come, corporate and boosters. It has happened over the years. It's been a rough, rough ten years for UTEP football. UTEP tried the old coach route for decades: Bailey, Nord (Assistant under Bailey and assitant from Schnellenberger coaching tree), Price, Kugler and Dimel.

Not since the David Lee era has UTEP put their trust in a "young, up and comer". David Lee was a young assistant and same age as Coach Scotty (mid 30's) from Arkansas but his ground based option offense struggled at UTEP. -UTEP HIRES DAVID LEE

Under Bailey/Nord era excitement grew and capital improvement projects happened and some planned out that never saw an actual shovel pierce the dirt. However, Price raised expectations even higher. No reason to think it can't happen under Coach Scotty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT