ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Wasn't Deon Hankins rated higher than Aaron Jones? Also what about Tavorous Jones and LJ Martin?

Three star with P5's recruiting him.
Aaron Jones was a composite low 3 star guy…2 star for Rivals, which was the “premier” recruiting site at the time. As far as I remember, and as far as I can tell, he only had two FBS offers and neither were of the P5 variety.

Aaron Jones was a composite low 3 star guy…2 star for Rivals, which was the “premier” recruiting site at the time. As far as I remember, and as far as I can tell, he only had two FBS offers and neither were of the P5 variety.

You are correct sir. I thought he had a couple low P5 offers. He had just three offers.

And one of those is New Mexico. Word is their coaching staff stood them up for a home visit. Jones mom had a home cooked meal ready and they were a no show. Thanks unm for not having common courtesy.

great hire. hes a great guy awesome family man and you will see his kids running around the field I'm sure...

He's well respected coach ... he was at Alcorn State with Coach Hopson where he was the OC and followed him to Southern Miss (where he met walden).
he was Co-Offensive coordinator at Florida A&M. He was reunited with the crew at Austin Peay but Tulsa came calling -- can't blame him for that... he's a big fan of Scotty's and now hes back where he belongs in EL PASO baby...
Bummer to see coach Kaster leave for Washington State -- a fantastic human.

Last edited:
great hire. hes a great guy awesome family man and you will see his kids running around the field I'm sure...

He's well respected coach ... he was at Alcorn State with Coach Hopson where he was the OC and followed him to Southern Miss (where he met walden).
he was Co-Offensive coordinator at Florida A&M. He was reunited with the crew at Austin Peay but Tulsa came calling -- can't blame him for that... he's a big fan of Scotty's and now hes back where he belongs in EL PASO baby...
Bummer to see coach Kaster leave for Washington State -- a fantastic human.
Thanks Poppa

I like what I’ve seen from CSW so far. I like the new approach, outside the box thinking, and working every angle. Seems like Senter hit a home run with the hire, but 7-8 wins next year? Ehhh…6-6 and a NM Bowl win would be more than acceptable. If they miraculously win 8 and win a bowl I think he gets poached.

I like what I’ve seen from CSW so far. I like the new approach, outside the box thinking, and working every angle. Seems like Senter hit a home run with the hire, but 7-8 wins next year? Ehhh…6-6 and a NM Bowl win would be more than acceptable. If they miraculously win 8 and win a bowl I think he gets poached.
I really hope Scotty Walden is the type to push for a bowl other than the NM Bowl on occasion... Especially if they want to get the brand out there... One of the lower Texas bowls would be great.

If Walden does well here, he will definitely be poached. There better be a good buyout clause in his contract in anticipation of that. I just hope Senter finds enough money to keep him here long enough to go to more than one bowl game. I don't mind the Miners going to the New Mexico Bowl for the ease of travel for local fans. We should definitely go just to get a win there. But we should also seriously consider one of the Texas Bowl games to get our brand out there, (mentioned in the previous blog), plus to let in state fans other than El Pasoans to see us play. One question for you all's opinion. Mike Price has the record of three bowls attended by a coach. Should we dare hope we get a coach that will beat that record? Is Walden that coach? If he can win more than one bowl game while here, he'll be the Number One coach of all time at UTEP. Whataya think? Go Miners.

If Walden does well here, he will definitely be poached. There better be a good buyout clause in his contract in anticipation of that. I just hope Senter finds enough money to keep him here long enough to go to more than one bowl game. I don't mind the Miners going to the New Mexico Bowl for the ease of travel for local fans. We should definitely go just to get a win there. But we should also seriously consider one of the Texas Bowl games to get our brand out there, (mentioned in the previous blog), plus to let in state fans other than El Pasoans to see us play. One question for you all's opinion. Mike Price has the record of three bowls attended by a coach. Should we dare hope we get a coach that will beat that record? Is Walden that coach? If he can win more than one bowl game while here, he'll be the Number One coach of all time at UTEP. Whataya think? Go Miners.
Great questions that rely strictly on opinion, speculation and hope...plenty of that to go around this site. My hope is that CSW breaks Price's record and sets the bar high for the next coach. It's how schools like Boise and UTSA have functioned. The success of the football program while he's here will set the sails of the future guy. I believe that CSW may be that coach to get us there. My hope is that the administration and student body will become sold on the fact that they need to institutionalize financial support for the long-term. For donors, they need to see those results to buy into the investments needed in the facilities. We will either sink further into the abyss of college football where it becomes irrelevant, or we see progress made to attract a better conference if CSW can stick around for 3-5 successful years.

GO MINERS!

This thread is recruiting but so much lends to conference affiliation and as far as bowls, UTEP is in a ok, I will not say great, but ok geographical location. During Covid three seasons ago Dimel just had to beat UNT and were bowl bound (he blew it). It’s not like UTEP was a certain college begging the NCAA for a bowl berth based on a technicality. UTEP does what they’re supposed to do and they are in.

Walden’s opponent not on the schedule is us, UTEP fan skeptics. If he wins that and the majority of games, he is as good as gone.

The Nebraska game will bring UTEP back down to earth. The jump to FBS is a bigger chasm than anticipated; however, CS is the little fish willing to try Orca infested waters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT