ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

EP, you are incorrect and going a little bit to the dark side with your comments on Walden lol I like him and haven't been a ra ra type saying UTEP will go Bowling in year one. As a matter a fact I said probably 4 wins and anything over is great. However you're letting your disdain and disappointment in UTEP Football over the years, cause you to be unnecessarily and inaccurately down on Walden and this Gentleman who believes he'll do good things here at UTEP. First off Walden has accomplished something already. How about out recruiting Dimel by a long shot in just 2 months? When was the last time we were #1 in recruiting in CUSA? Isn't that accomplishing something? Yes he now has to prove it on the football field, but he's off to a great start in this aspect. Also you can't say he coached at S. Miss 4 years and they were worse after. What are you smoking? No assistant coach gets blamed for how the program did after they left lol 😅 He was only a stop gap interim for 4 games during Covid. That is all that he can be judged on while there, Period. I understand your frustration with UTEP, trust me, but you're going in way to hard on Walden, when the man has done nothing but be a Great Ambassador, Recruiter and Motivator in his short time here. You're disspondent with Utep Athletics, I get it, but give the man a chance and credit where credit is due.

You have great posts and I appreciate your disagreements without being immature like others on here. I definitely wasn't talking about you being "ra ra".

You are definitely right about my disdain and disappointment getting to me. I was all in on Golding when he was hired and all in in November like most of us on here.

It's just tough to believe in a coach right now. I am sure my feeling will change during football season, when hopefully Walden proves that he is a good coach.

You are right that Walden accomplished great recruiting. I guess I just don't put much into recruiting like others on here.

And for all of you who are reading these posts, this is how you disagree with others. No name calling and no immaturity. Just a good back and forth where two people get their points across.

Reactions: nattybry
Carried away... we could bring back dimmel -- im sure it would be fun talking about that on the boards vs what we got this week... (READ AGAIN WITH A LOT OF SARCASM)

It's Dimel, not Dimmel.

Right now we have great recruiting and that's good on paper, but that doesn't win games.

Let Walden coach and let's first see how good he is. You're getting carried away talking about winning eight games and conference championships.

We have to take things one step at a time.

You have great posts and I appreciate your disagreements without being immature like others on here. I definitely wasn't talking about you being "ra ra".

You are definitely right about my disdain and disappointment getting to me. I was all in on Golding when he was hired and all in in November like most of us on here.

It's just tough to believe in a coach right now. I am sure my feeling will change during football season, when hopefully Walden proves that he is a good coach.

You are right that Walden accomplished great recruiting. I guess I just don't put much into recruiting like others on here.

And for all of you who are reading these posts, this is how you disagree with others. No name calling and no immaturity. Just a good back and forth where two people get their points across.
FACT: There are no league, national title trophies for having a good or the best recruiting class...
---> but i rather have the best recruits in the league than the worst

FACT: Walden's excitement/enthusiasm doesnt win games
---> but he's the kind of coach that i want running the program i root for because he will die trying!

FACT: Utep hasnt won *&#^ in a long time...
---> that doesn't mean things dont start to change for the better

FACT: Based on the comments ive read im not sure what the old staff was doing...
--> WALDEN AND CO ARE HERE TO WIN... PERIOD. GET USED TO IT. THINGS ARE ALREADY DIFFERENT AND NOBODY WILL DENY THAT TO BE A FACT.

<<<STAY TUNED>>>

GET USED TO IT.

I hope you are right, but you saying that doesn't change anything. Golding said similar things as Walden when he was hired and he hasn't done anything here. We were all in on Golding in November and sadly those feelings have changed in such a short amount of time.

I am hoping Walden brings UTEP their first bowl win in almost 60 years, but a lot has to happen for that that to be accomplished.

Last edited:
This is an interesting read. Sounds similar? Let Walden coach before we talk about conference championships, etc.

"love this dude's character already, he gives a shit."

"With him it will be night and day from Terry. In every way."

"Damn I love this guy already. If had any skills and wasn't 50 I'd run through a wall for him."

"That's why I think he will win right away. The players are going to buy into his culture instantly. He's from the same bloodline as Beard."

"If he can recruit like Beard then we better start raising money for his raise now."

"He's got so much energy and is so excited...I love it!"

"I agree with Kap. That was high energy AF. You can tell he is pumped to have this job. Which is nice to see/hear."

"I really don't get the recruiting questions marks. For his conference level he recruited good enough to have 3 NCAA quality teams in a row. He wasn't competing against the UTEP's or the Houston's of the state. Imo now that he stepped up he will continue to have talented teams that will be competing for CUSA titles."

"It is evident the guy wants to be here as much as we want him here, if not more."

"Let's just say I am VERY impressed with Coach Golding"

"I agree I love his energy and he is excited to be here. Very genuine and I can’t wait to see what he does at UTEP."

I hope you are right, but you saying that doesn't change anything. Golding said similar things as Walden when he was hired and he hasn't done anything here. We were all in on Golding in November and sadly those feelings have changed in such a short amount of time.

I am hoping Walden brings UTEP their first bowl win in almost 30 years, but a lot has to happen for that that to be accomplished.
Getting close to 60 years since our last bowl win 🫠

Reactions: EPUTEP

I am hoping Walden brings UTEP their first bowl win in almost 60 years, but a lot has to happen for that that to be accomplished.
Wait, how many 3 star players did Golding bring in?

It's a different feel, bruh.

Of course they were. You're telling me they went into every game coaching to lose?

They just weren't good coaches. That's why they weren't successful here.
I saw games where dimel had zero interest in trying to win. Sure we were outmatched and had no chance, but god dammit that’s why the game is played. To lose before the game even begins. Definitely Dimel.

Wait, how many 3 star players did Golding bring in?

It's a different feel, bruh.
True. We all questioned Golding’s recruiting. Disappointed by his first class but gave him the benefit of doubt. Year 3 and his recruiting is still the main concern. Walden secured the best class in the conference. When has UTEP football done that before?

Of course they were. You're telling me they went into every game coaching to lose?

They just weren't good coaches. That's why they weren't successful here.
I'll argue....

Dimel wasn't coaching to win games. He played his favorite players no matter what, focused on grades, and of course that all important TOP.
Kugler just wanted to get laid. He didn't give a crap if he won.

Prove me wrong

Reactions: JCorona
True. We all questioned Golding’s recruiting. Disappointed by his first class but gave him the benefit of doubt. Year 3 and his recruiting is still the main concern. Walden secured the best class in the conference. When has UTEP football done that before?
EXACTLY

I'll argue....

Dimel wasn't coaching to win games. He played his favorite players no matter what, focused on grades, and of course that all important TOP.
Kugler just wanted to get laid. He didn't give a crap if he won.

Prove me wrong

I can't prove anything because it's all conjecture. If you think Dimel and Kugler lost games on purpose, then you're certainly entitled to that opinion.

This thread will definitely be interesting to read in 3 years. Let's just hope UTEP football will be on the right track by then.

I can't prove anything because it's all conjecture. If you think Dimel and Kugler lost games on purpose, then you're certainly entitled to that opinion.
That's NOT what I said. I said they didn't coach to win games. It's different.

I saw games where dimel had zero interest in trying to win. Sure we were outmatched and had no chance, but god dammit that’s why the game is played. To lose before the game even begins. Definitely Dimel.

I think Dimel was always trying to win, but unfortunately he just wasn't a good coach and made poor decisions.

and to be clear -- Im not saying DIMEL was intentionally losing but looks like he didnt give the effort that the university and the fans deserved relating to giving it his all == obviously didnt recruit like this crew...

OK ... lets be POSITIVE and FORWARD looking no need to critique those before the current regime. My bad that maybe was an unjust comment trying to make a point that things are headed in what appears to be a different feeling...

and to be clear -- Im not saying DIMEL wasn't intentionally losing but looks like he didnt give the effort that the university and the fans deserved relating to giving it his all == obviously didnt recruit like this crew...

Of course not, but he definitely wasn't coaching to lose. Now you're moving the goalposts.

Optimism, pessimism, whatever you way you lean Walden is playing with house money this year. Even if he gets 0 wins the seat won’t get warm because he’s working on rebuilding this club and the culture from the ground up. But at the same time people have gone on and on in threads at the beginning of the season claiming “6 wins” “10 wins and a bowl” and year in and year out they get their teeth kicked in. It’s way too early to make any claims or assumptions. So why argue?

OK ... lets be POSITIVE and FORWARD looking no need to critique those before the current regime. My bad that maybe was an unjust comment trying to make a point that things are headed in what appears to be a different feeling...

We are all positive on here. The comments weren't unjust. We all want the same results. We just want UTEP to win.

• Angry
Reactions: 1967miner
I disagree. When he played the P5s, he did not play to win. He played to not get his starters hurt. His teams always came out scared as well. Zero game plan to take on those teams.

Now we're talking about two different things.

I disagree. When he played the P5s, he did not play to win. He played to not get his starters hurt. His teams always came out scared as well. Zero game plan to take on those teams.
Correct. I'll also add coaches that WANT to win desperately coach like they want it. Coaches that are comfortable coach "safer".

I'll just guess here, but I bet Walden throws the house at Nebraska, Tennessee, and Colorado State. He WANTS the wins. He will coach like it too. Dimel would be like "cool, we got a touchdown"

Correct. I'll also add coaches that WANT to win desperately coach like they want it. Coaches that are comfortable coach "safer".

Then I guess we need to give Dimel more credit for winning 7 games and almost winning a bowl game (since he didn't want to win games).

Then I guess we need to give Dimel more credit for winning 7 games and almost winning a bowl game (since he didn't want to win games).
Look numbnuts, I am NOT saying he didn't want to win. I said he wasn't coaching to win. There is a difference.

Here's a simple comparison for you. I am a bowler. Most league nights, we just have a good time and of course TRY to win. If we don't, eehh....next week. However, when I go bowl a tournament, we prepare differently, make more aggressive adjustments, pay attention to every detail. We are aiming to win.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
some interesting facts about Coach Walden vs the SEC...
- only FCS team to cover vs all SEC opponents
- held bama to the lowest amount of points ever against an FCS opponent
- 14 to 7 at half time vs bama should have been AT LEAST TIED
- OUTPLAYED University of Tennessee last year ESPN commentator "the last thing i thought i would say today is that UT was outplayed by Austin Peay"

You can bet he believes hes gonna beat nebraska, UT, and Colorado... if we can pull off one of those!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT