ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

some interesting facts about Coach Walden vs the SEC...
- only FCS team to cover vs all SEC opponents
- held bama to the lowest amount of points ever against an FCS opponent
- 14 to 7 at half time vs bama should have been AT LEAST TIED
- OUTPLAYED University of Tennessee last year ESPN commentator "the last thing i thought i would say today is that UT was outplayed by Austin Peay"

You can bet he believes hes gonna beat nebraska, UT, and Colorado... if we can pull off one of those!!!!
And a coach and team should have that self belief and I want him to be successful. But we’ve seen and heard this many times before. I remember Kugler being that high energy guy celebrating with players on the sidelines. Then by the end of his tenure he’s out there arms folded turning all shades of red and every press conference all he could say was “This loss is on me, we’ll get this fixed.” I want/hope Walden will succeed but we don’t know how he will handle adversity, especially sustained losing that turns the fan base against you. God forbid he loses that energy because you’ll know when he’s done.

I know you’re close to the coaching staff and I am glad to have you here. But the results will speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: PoppaPop and EPUTEP
I hope you are right, but you saying that doesn't change anything. Golding said similar things as Walden when he was hired and he hasn't done anything here. We were all in on Golding in November and sadly those feelings have changed in such a short amount of time.

I am hoping Walden brings UTEP their first bowl win in almost 60 years, but a lot has to happen for that that to be accomplished.
The only difference is Golding could never recruit form Day1. I for one tried to believe that was just a year one thing and it'd get better, but it didn't. I'm still on a wait and see with Walden, but it has been a refreshing start and I give him tons of credit for that!

Agree -- lots of great discussion. we do need to see W's and results but at this point all we have to measure against is whats happened in the first 2 months. positive things and a great indicator HOPEFULLY of what's to come.
I’ll say this is the best opening salvo from a coach since Mike Price brought in Tyler Ebell and Marcus Thomas, two former Parade All-Americans and that’s saying a lot. I know I’m not the only one who said “Holy shit! We got Mike Price!!!???” The Dimel hire, everyone was like “meh….” because his resume sucked. A lot of people were iffy on Kugler but there was a lot of talk about how he was an emotional catalyst for that Boise team that upset Oklahoma at the Fiesta Bowl. Nord was “meh” but he was a Howard Schnellenberger guy. Bailey was a bum, and so on and so on. So optimism is very high especially when compared to almost every other hire in the last 40 years.

But one thing I remember Price saying later in his tenure was that after that initial success at UTEP other schools would key in on his recruits and poach them. They would use things like the crime in Juarez and El Paso and the fact that they were bigger schools to lure potential recruits away. In the world of NIL I’m sure this will probably happen if Walden has success and I hope they have a way to mitigate this.

But one thing I remember Price saying later in his tenure was that after that initial success at UTEP other schools would key in on his recruits and poach them. They would use things like the crime in Juarez and El Paso and the fact that they were bigger schools to lure potential recruits away. In the world of NIL I’m sure this will probably happen if Walden has success and I hope they have a way to mitigate this.
All of that may be true. I sense that CSW believes in himself, the coaches, and the system he's bringing in, to bring success to a long-term systemically awful program. The key, for me, is winning over the significant major donors that can truly make a shift in improvements to the Sun Bowl, practice facility and NIL. If that happens, there's not a competing school that will be able to touch us. I can dream, can't I?

GO MINERS!

Last edited:
All of that may be true. I sense that CSW believes in himself, the coaches, and the system he's bringing in, to bring success to a long-term systemically awful program. The key, for me, is winning over the significant major donors that can truly make a shift in improvements to the Sun Bowl, practice facility and NIL. If that happens, there's not a competing school that will be able to touch us. I can dream, can't I?

GO MINERS!
They do need a practice bubble and a new weight room -- those are tall asks given they are getting a new lockerroom... gotta win first then you get to ask for stuff!

Prolonged success and probably a move to a bigger/better paying conference are the only way UTEP can get the money to build and maintain something like an indoor practice facility. That is a project that may be out of reach right now because of cost, and it will get more expensive every year they don’t pull the plug. Just like the downtown stadium, but that’s a discussion for another day.

As someone who’s never seen the weight room in person, what’s the issue? Is it the equipment? Or is the facility too small?

and to be clear -- Im not saying DIMEL was intentionally losing but looks like he didnt give the effort that the university and the fans deserved relating to giving it his all == obviously didnt recruit like this crew...

OK ... lets be POSITIVE and FORWARD looking no need to critique those before the current regime. My bad that maybe was an unjust comment trying to make a point that things are headed in what appears to be a different feeling...

Just a note about EPUTEP / AB / Denver (other handles he's had here) -- he will go round-and-round like a merry-go-round on anything he wants to argue about. There is no end to discourse with him. Pick an exit and just let it go from there.

Just a note about EPUTEP / AB / Denver (other handles he's had here) -- he will go round-and-round like a merry-go-round on anything he wants to argue about. There is no end to discourse with him. Pick an exit and just let it go from there.

I am sorry you are not able to have rational discussions. The rest of us are doing just fine.

some interesting facts about Coach Walden vs the SEC...
- only FCS team to cover vs all SEC opponents
- held bama to the lowest amount of points ever against an FCS opponent
- 14 to 7 at half time vs bama should have been AT LEAST TIED
- OUTPLAYED University of Tennessee last year ESPN commentator "the last thing i thought i would say today is that UT was outplayed by Austin Peay"

You can bet he believes hes gonna beat nebraska, UT, and Colorado... if we can pull off one of those!!!!
Thank you.

Reactions: kickballpro
I think it was supposed to be done for this season, if I remember the intro conference
im not certain but i believe it will be done in the spring... whether that means BEFORE or AFTER spring ball ...dunno but it will be ready for the season.

Reactions: shyminer81
I was all for Golding when he was hired. Still am in a way. But he hasn't moved the needle at all in his time here. He needs to step it up soon or we really should start looking for another coach. Most newly hired coaches bring a lot of energy to their new job. Walden is no different. But he seems to have recruited well right out of the gate. That is a positive step. Now we wait to see if that translates onto the field. If it does, great for the Miners. I'd say, just don't jump onto a bandwagon or out a window yet. Let's see what happens. As to comparing him to previous coaches, Kugler seems to have been here to put a head coaching position on his resume. Wasn't really interested in improving UTEP's lot. Dimel was here as a place to end his career and collect a paycheck until he retired. He actually improved UTEP's lot in football but didn't have the fire or energy to compete for bowl wins or championships. He was just collecting a paycheck. As far as the thoughts on competing with the powerhouse teams we schedule every so often, I'm of two thoughts. We need to ask if we really can compete and hold our own against these teams. or are we just in it for a payout? We want to see the Miners be competitive against a big team, but do we shoot our load and ruin the rest of the season for one close game against a powerhouse team? Any thoughts?

Given your short window of time with Coach Walden I think you all may be missing some piece/knowledge about the new head coach. I want to be careful how I word this because I don't want it to be a "oh El Paso is just a stop" but understand that Scotty Walden is SUPER DRIVEN and has life goals which include one day being a HC of a Power 5 Team. To do that he CANNOT fail, Misstep, or have a few years of struggles. That bodes well for UTEP football. He is on a mission and that might be what's a little different this time. He wants UTEP to be better than its ever been (yes for his selfish purposes that we all as fans benefit from). He's not satisfied and potentially wants to be a HC in the NFL ?? but why it matters to all of you is you will get every ounce of him leaving nothing to chance and never mailing in anything. Whether its against Nebraska or Middle Tenn -- he will make sure every player, coach, and waterboy will be at their best this week...

How about a little fun?? lets take the schedule and make some predictions.... I'll go first...
@ Nebraska (L) - "UTEP puts a scare in Nebraska but falls short losing by a touchdown in the final minutes"
vs. Southern UTAH (W) - "UTEP blows out Southern Utah in a sold out home opener for Coach Walden"
@ Liberty (L) - "UTEP loses a heartbreaker on the Road ... but puts the scare in CUSA opponents"
@ Colorado ST (W) - "BOOM!"
vs. Sam Houston (W) - "BLOW OUT IN EL PASO in front of the second sold out crowd"
@ Western Kentucky (W) - "Walden avenges Austin Peay Loss in 2022"
vs. FIU - (L)
@ LA TECH - (W)
vs. Middle Tennessee (W) - "Middle regrets not hiring Walden after this game..."
vs. Kennesaw State (W)
@ UT (L) -- "another nailbiter for the vols who dont want to see coach walden again"
@ NMSU (WIN BABY!!) "UTEP is back and NMSU gets a taste of the 1-10 Rival -- UTEP will own for years to come"

7-4 and we are going to a bowl game!!!!!

How about a little fun?? lets take the schedule and make some predictions.... I'll go first...
@ Nebraska (L) - "UTEP puts a scare in Nebraska but falls short losing by a touchdown in the final minutes"
vs. Southern UTAH (W) - "UTEP blows out Southern Utah in a sold out home opener for Coach Walden"
@ Liberty (L) - "UTEP loses a heartbreaker on the Road ... but puts the scare in CUSA opponents"
@ Colorado ST (W) - "BOOM!"
vs. Sam Houston (W) - "BLOW OUT IN EL PASO in front of the second sold out crowd"
@ Western Kentucky (W) - "Walden avenges Austin Peay Loss in 2022"
vs. FIU - (L)
@ LA TECH - (W)
vs. Middle Tennessee (W) - "Middle regrets not hiring Walden after this game..."
vs. Kennesaw State (W)
@ UT (L) -- "another nailbiter for the vols who dont want to see coach walden again"
@ NMSU (WIN BABY!!) "UTEP is back and NMSU gets a taste of the 1-10 Rival -- UTEP will own for years to come"

7-4 and we are going to a bowl game!!!!!
Still not going to do any predictions this early, but curious why you have UTEP losing at home to FIU, while beating teams like La Tech and W. Kentucky on the road? That doesn't add up.

I was all for Golding when he was hired. Still am in a way. But he hasn't moved the needle at all in his time here. He needs to step it up soon or we really should start looking for another coach. Most newly hired coaches bring a lot of energy to their new job. Walden is no different. But he seems to have recruited well right out of the gate. That is a positive step. Now we wait to see if that translates onto the field. If it does, great for the Miners. I'd say, just don't jump onto a bandwagon or out a window yet. Let's see what happens. As to comparing him to previous coaches, Kugler seems to have been here to put a head coaching position on his resume. Wasn't really interested in improving UTEP's lot. Dimel was here as a place to end his career and collect a paycheck until he retired. He actually improved UTEP's lot in football but didn't have the fire or energy to compete for bowl wins or championships. He was just collecting a paycheck. As far as the thoughts on competing with the powerhouse teams we schedule every so often, I'm of two thoughts. We need to ask if we really can compete and hold our own against these teams. or are we just in it for a payout? We want to see the Miners be competitive against a big team, but do we shoot our load and ruin the rest of the season for one close game against a powerhouse team? Any thoughts?
I kinda feel responsible for the tough schedule of power conferences. I do think that Utep officials read this board. I brought up the idea Utep should schedule SEC and Big 10 teams and go get that money. Now if you look at the future schedules , Utep is scheduled with a SEC and Big 10 team for like the next 5 years. Utep should be making a lot of money with those games. Hopefully they use that money correctly?😁😁👍👍

Still not going to do any predictions this early, but curious why you have UTEP losing at home to FIU, while beating teams like La Tech and W. Kentucky on the road? That doesn't add up.
everyone has a bad game and I just couldnt say they would win 8 games out of the rip --- im certainly no Nostradamus and don't want to be that obvious of a fan boy (reality is we may lose to COLORADO and Beat FIU)

Reactions: nattybry
everyone has a bad game and I just couldnt say they would win 8 games out of the rip --- im certainly no Nostradamus and don't want to be that obvious of a fan boy (reality is we may lose to COLORADO and Beat FIU)
Cool just wondering. If I had to handicap next season I'd say 4.5 wins and I'd pick the under right now. However I could change my mind after fall practice. I just am not gonna get too high in season one, so I'll temper my expectations and be pleasantly surprised with more wins.

Reactions: utepgrad08
Cool just wondering. If I had to handicap next season I'd say 4.5 wins and I'd pick the under right now. However I could change my mind after fall practice. I just am not gonna get too high in season one, so I'll temper my expectations and be pleasantly surprised with more wins.
you are more reasonable i will agree but WRONG on the under ... 5-6 for sure

I'll bite.
@ Nebraska (L) -Too much.
vs. Southern UTAH (W) - Should be a blow-out or the crowds will dwindle in a hurry.
@ Liberty (L) - Too much.
@ Colorado ST (W) - close win.
vs. Sam Houston (W) - close win, against improved SHSU.
@ Western Kentucky (L) - Too much offense by WKU
vs. FIU - (W) home game, UTEP pulls it out.
@ LA TECH - (L) Hard to win at La-Tech
vs. Middle Tennessee (W)- Toss-up, but it's a home.
vs. Kennesaw State (W) closer than we want.
@ UT (L) Too much and it's not close.
@ NMSU (W) UTEP destroys NMSU.

7-5... Though 6-6 is possible (CSU and MTSU are my toss-up games) 5-7?

8-4 if everything aligns and UTEP has found their starting QB (existing player)

I know I'm jumping WAY WAY too ahead, but if UTEP found themselves bowl-eligible I am hoping for a Texas based bowl game... NM bowl is a bowl, but bringing UTEP to DFW would have easily 20k fans from around the state.

Given your short window of time with Coach Walden I think you all may be missing some piece/knowledge about the new head coach. I want to be careful how I word this because I don't want it to be a "oh El Paso is just a stop" but understand that Scotty Walden is SUPER DRIVEN and has life goals which include one day being a HC of a Power 5 Team. To do that he CANNOT fail, Misstep, or have a few years of struggles. That bodes well for UTEP football. He is on a mission and that might be what's a little different this time. He wants UTEP to be better than its ever been (yes for his selfish purposes that we all as fans benefit from). He's not satisfied and potentially wants to be a HC in the NFL ?? but why it matters to all of you is you will get every ounce of him leaving nothing to chance and never mailing in anything. Whether its against Nebraska or Middle Tenn -- he will make sure every player, coach, and waterboy will be at their best this week...
I have already said we won’t have Walden for more than 3 seasons —- we are a nice stepping stone

I hope Walden wins as well, I think it's important to have BIG goals, hopefully it translates to success at UTEP. Hopefully before that happens, a good foundation is built, because we all know he's taking his players lol

Walden will be judged on the progress his teams make and number of wins he gets at UTEP. Many of us want to see UTEP compete and win a CUSA championship(s) and get the long awaited bowl victory. These are realistic and attainable goals at UTEP, since we compete in one the lowest rated G5 conferences.

I applaud Walden for trying different things and thinking outside the box. The fact that Walden is thanking and acknowledging other UTEP employees is a nice gesture. Walden is showing great leadership by getting the university and community behind him. UTEP employee's can make a big difference and become good ambassadors for new recruits and current student/athletes. These are the small changes that can lead to positive results.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT