ADVERTISEMENT

Good to see Vint redeem himself tonight

Is everyone really that bummed with the team?? Where's the action in this forum after a win?

Is everyone really that bummed with the team?? Where's the action in this forum after a win?
I am truly bummed. I must admit. Expected much more than this. Seems like we've done a lot more with a lot less in previous years. They struggle against inferior competition and when they meet equal or more talented competition I'm fearful of the results. I'm struggling as well. Not gonna give up yet.

Maybe he got tired of hearing the groans from the crowd. I've never heard so many "C' mon Vint!" And with the sparse crowd, it was easy to hear. Stepped it up when we needed it. Good job.

Even more than a certain number of wins, I'm more interested in seeing steady improvement over the course of the season. Scraping Ws together is great, but come tourney time we're going to have to be much improved to piece 3 or 4 (hopefully only 3) of them together when it really counts. UAB showed it can be done last year. Would love to have a run like they had.

What have they done to impress anyone. They've narrowly beat 2 weak conference usa teams at home! I'm glad they won, but nothing to write home about. Split this road trip and show there's still a slight possibility of competing for a conference title and we can maybe get some excitement back. Fact is this early season has been a disappointment and this team might very well gel, but there are still so many glaring weaknesses one has to reserve any hints of excitement!

Not giving up, but my expectations from earlier have been downgraded. I am happy we won but we just make it look so hard and against teams that really should not be giving us that much problem. We have a talented team but are missing several key components, and we don't look like we have the ability to fix our faults. In watching each game this season we just look outmatched by good players and have no chance against elite ones. Tonight is was Combs who dominated us inside, other games it's been a guard or forward who just looks unstoppable. Almost everybody we play is going to have a player or two like that and we don't seem to be able to shut them down. We often advertise how we hold the opposing teams best player down, but it seems moot if we let a guy averaging 5pt and a rebound go off for 20/10.
Today, NTU was about to go on a run, towards the last 5:00 min or so, you could see it coming, their guards became less tentative, they hit the boards, played in the face defense. I have seen this happen so many times the last 4 or 5 years, teams always hit a big shot after big shot and we wilt. In this game I think Floyd knew it was happening again and he played "hack a shaq" with the big center and forward NTU had. I don't think Floyd expected them to miss the free throws but he has keeping them from hitting a dagger three and it threw NTU off just enough for us to win. If it was intended, it was a good coaching move by Floyd and likely won the game.

Reactions: miner1liner
Maybe he got tired of hearing the groans from the crowd. I've never heard so many "C' mon Vint!" And with the sparse crowd, it was easy to hear. Stepped it up when we needed it. Good job.

He got a motivational talk from one of his teammates and Floyd I believe.

Whatever "it" was that got Hoop motivated, keep it up. Vint needs to play the rest of the season like he did last night. It should be the rule, not the exception. We don't always need 20 and 12 from him, but we need close to it, and more than that even, we need the effort. Hopefully his monster game opened his eyes towards his own capabilities and he continues to play in beast mode (or what for Vint is beast mode). Because our guards are up and down, and we lack consistent inside presence, I think as Vint goes, this team goes. Keep it up Hoop!

Yeah Vint may be THE key player for the team this year (who woulda thunk?). We have numerous guards who, as a group, should be able to get points. Vint is the one guy who can really alter shots down low with his height, and his offensive moves ain't half bad either.

If he gives that kind of effort every game, it can only help his teammates get open looks. We just need to start hitting those open shotss, which has been a problem this year...

He is soooo soft!!! He is pretty decent offensively but he is so bad defensively and soft on the boards!

Whatever "it" was that got Hoop motivated, keep it up. Vint needs to play the rest of the season like he did last night. It should be the rule, not the exception. We don't always need 20 and 12 from him, but we need close to it, and more than that even, we need the effort. Hopefully his monster game opened his eyes towards his own capabilities and he continues to play in beast mode (or what for Vint is beast mode). Because our guards are up and down, and we lack consistent inside presence, I think as Vint goes, this team goes. Keep it up Hoop!

The entire team needs to know how to finish. They blew some easy layups, got badly outrebounded again, and transition defense got burned for some easy baskets. Guards got a little sloppy early in the game that allowed UNT back in the game. Can't do that; with guards UTEP employs they need to put teams like UNT away.

Good news, Harris did a JWash style job on one of their best players. Winn appears to be keeping the foul numbers down (he got two fouls that were not his fault but rather the guards for not getting back on D). Thomas is coming along nicely but now appears to have caught the foul bug that plagued Winn. Floyd appears to be letting the guards attack more and it appears Vint has seen the light and acknowledge he is the leader.

What have they done to impress anyone. They've narrowly beat 2 weak conference usa teams at home! I'm glad they won, but nothing to write home about. Split this road trip and show there's still a slight possibility of competing for a conference title and we can maybe get some excitement back. Fact is this early season has been a disappointment and this team might very well gel, but there are still so many glaring weaknesses one has to reserve any hints of excitement!
I agree, this week will show where the team actually stands compared to some of the upper echelon teams. I will be satisfied with a split, ecstatic with a sweep, but not surprised if they lose both. I still believe they have the talent to compete with anyone.

Reactions: allminer
Not giving up, but my expectations from earlier have been downgraded. I am happy we won but we just make it look so hard and against teams that really should not be giving us that much problem. We have a talented team but are missing several key components, and we don't look like we have the ability to fix our faults. In watching each game this season we just look outmatched by good players and have no chance against elite ones. Tonight is was Combs who dominated us inside, other games it's been a guard or forward who just looks unstoppable. Almost everybody we play is going to have a player or two like that and we don't seem to be able to shut them down. We often advertise how we hold the opposing teams best player down, but it seems moot if we let a guy averaging 5pt and a rebound go off for 20/10.
Today, NTU was about to go on a run, towards the last 5:00 min or so, you could see it coming, their guards became less tentative, they hit the boards, played in the face defense. I have seen this happen so many times the last 4 or 5 years, teams always hit a big shot after big shot and we wilt. In this game I think Floyd knew it was happening again and he played "hack a shaq" with the big center and forward NTU had. I don't think Floyd expected them to miss the free throws but he has keeping them from hitting a dagger three and it threw NTU off just enough for us to win. If it was intended, it was a good coaching move by Floyd and likely won the game.
Yes, it was a great coaching move by Floyd to begin fouling their poor foul shooters. It killed their momentum, limited their points and allowed the Miners to regain control. When Floyd was asked about the fouling tactics, he denied they were fouling intentionally, which technically he is correct. They were not
"intentional fouls", but they were fouling on purpose to get their poor foul shooters on the free throw line.

Reactions: JeepJackson22
I should also add that in my opinion Rice and North Texas, despite their won and loss records, are good up and coming teams. They will upset some teams in conference play.

I should also add that in my opinion Rice and North Texas, despite their won and loss records, are good up and coming teams. They will upset some teams in conference play.

The both had more talent than expected, Rice is a power forward away from being a really good team and NTU has a lot of young talent as well......If we had the Coombs kid on our team we would pretty much solve our rebounding problems, that kid has is really talented and has a real nice game...except free throws

Reactions: mikesarabia
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT