ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest player you watched from the Sun Bowl stands?

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
Mine’s easy — Priest Holmes:

Capture.jpg

Derrick Thomas; Alabama. 1988

I was a young lad trying to figure out why in the hell do all the Alabama fans have a toilet paper roll and and a box of Tide on a stick? LOL!

Cornelius Bennett
Sun Bowl Most Valuable Player
1983 & 1986
Alabama

1558a17766e8024ca86abaee7b104199.jpg

I remember Brian Urlacher being a different type of athlete when I saw him play UTEP in the Sun Bowl. UTEP won that low scoring game, but Urlacher was really good on defense and he also scored UNM's only TD on offense, when they played him both ways at the end of the game.

As far as great performances go, didn't that guy Casey from Rice: Throw a TD, Catch a TD, and Rush for a TD in the same game against UTEP in the Sun Bowl?

I remember Brian Urlacher being a different type of athlete when I saw him play UTEP in the Sun Bowl. UTEP won that low scoring game, but Urlacher was really good on defense and he also scored UNM's only TD on offense, when they played him both ways at the end of the game.

As far as great performances go, didn't that guy Casey from Rice: Throw a TD, Catch a TD, and Rush for a TD in the same game against UTEP in the Sun Bowl?

I remember he returned punts in that game and Miners were bouncing off of him. He was a man amongst boys.

He's my son's position coach at UH. Great guy. Didn't know he pulled that trifecta off in the Sun Bowl.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
One game that always stood out for me was the game vs. NMSU in 2006. UTEP didn’t put The Aggies away in the 2nd half and thankfully Johnnie Lee Higgins went off for over 200 yards receiving and three touchdowns. That game along with the Tech game earlier in the year really reinforced the fact that Higgins was an all time great. It really is a shame that one hit derailed his NFL career.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Reactions: MineroFanatico
Has anyone ever played in the Sun Bowl and then gone on to win a Heisman at some point during their college career?

Has anyone ever played in the Sun Bowl and then gone on to win a Heisman at some point during their college career?

Ty Detmer played against UTEP here in the Sun Bowl in the same year that he won the Heisman Trophy(1990).

UTEP actually played somewhat well in that game, holding BYU and the Heisman Trophy winner to only 9 total points in the 2nd half. We lost 30-10, but we were only down 11 at half time and we were only down 14 in the 4th quarter of that game. The week after playing us BYU beat Miami.

Last edited:
Reactions: unihorn and JCorona
Derrick Thomas; Alabama. 1988

I was a young lad trying to figure out why in the hell do all the Alabama fans have a toilet paper roll and and a box of Tide on a stick? LOL!

Hell I was in my twenties and thought what the hell??? And than I figured it out, pretty cool!

Very easy -- Emmitt Smith, when Dallas played a scrimmage in the Sun Bowl in 1998 or so. Aikman and Irvin also played and they were reaching retirement but all three became Hall of Famers

Reactions: FarWestTexas

Off the top of my head (some have already answered):

Tony Dorsett in 1975
Barry Sanders in 1987 (he was backing up Thurman Thomas, but did play a little)
Ty Detmer in 1990 (I remember that stupid game)
Carson Palmer in 1998 (people complained that the match up with TCU was insulting to the Sun Bowl. .. TCU went on to beat USC. Some RB named LaDainian Tomlinson was with TCU. A year later UTEP would make him famous)
Sam Bradford was on the OU team that came to the Sun Bowl, but was injured early in the season and Landry Jones played

Reactions: MinersWon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT