ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone thought of this?

efrainUtep1

High school stud
May 8, 2015
Hello. I'm new here and actually live in Albuquerque after growing up in El Paso. I love the Miners but I'm sick of losing. I had a thought since the University is strapped for cash. Sorry if this has been thought of before. The Sun Bowl seats 52, 000 and the Haskins Center seats 12,222. Add those numbers together to get 67,222. Starting with this board, what if we all banded together and donated at least $5.00 each? If we can get 67,222 fans to donate $5.00, we could raise $336,110 for the athletic program. Assuming some people may donate more, we could raise millions for the FB and BB programs. We could afford to find a great FB coach, pay him a nice salary and have him build a program long term. As for BB, coach needs a raise. No matter how good or bad people think he has done, if we raised his salary, he would stay for years like Haskins did. I would be the first to send in $5.00 to get this started. I'm tired of UTEP being looked at as a second rate school where coaches come for a year or so then leave if offered a higher salary. Let me know what you think. We could include the media in this to help with this.

Reactions: Tucson_Miner
No matter how good or bad people think he has done, if we raised his salary, he would stay for years like Haskins did.

Haskins stayed here because he loved El Paso- he didn't care about the money. He didn't take a dime of the "Glory Road" money and gave the money to all of the players.

This would be a lot better than fans to donate $5. Have promotions- have $5 seat night for non-conference basketball games. Have more promotions. Buy one get one free night. Former players coming in for autographs and charging a small fee. Those are just a few things that can be done. Not many people are going to just give $5 for nothing.

So you centered everything I suggested around Haskins? Haskins was a one of a kind. In this day and age of coaches being paid millions of dollars per year to stay at a school you think it has to do with how much they love the city? So Billy Gillespie didn't stay because he didn't like the city? Doc Sadler left because he didn't like El Paso? What was Jason Rabedeaux's excuse for leaving? The weather? HELLO. Money. No more no less. Then you ask, "Do we really want him to stay for years?" Why shouldn't he? Isn't that what Haskins did? Did Haskins win a conference title or go to the NCAA tournament every year? No but we still loved the guy. All those promotions you mentioned do nothing to help UTEP athletics keep good people. All it does is give people a cheap excuse to attend a game then complain about why we keep losing. Did you watch the Texas/Oklahoma game this last weekend? As crappy as Texas has been this year, they still manage to sell out their games. More than 100,000 people. A fan base is centered around people who want the school to succeed and will pay a good coach a great salary to stay. How do you think TCU and Baylor got where they are today? Buy one get one free nights? $5 dollar ticket nights? Former players??? You shot down the idea of having the city rally around UTEP without even trying it or allowing the media to present it. How do you think UNM was able to get a coach like Steve Alford? Last, I'd gladly give at least $5.00 and I don't even live in El Paso anymore. You live there but wouldn't donate to the cause?

See that tells you a lot about all these fans... You spend more eating at whataburger but they find all these reasons why they can't donate 5 dollars.... They want the best but expect everything to be given to them they don't want to do anything extra ....

Reactions: unihorn
Yup, UNM produces great basketball teams, great tradition. So why can't UTEP get a coach like Alford? Your buying season tickets, that's great, but that's a bit different from a donation. As far as comparing UTEP to Texas? Why shouldn't I? Want me to compare UTEP to UTSA? Maybe Texas Southern? Your rebuttal makes no sense. You enjoy coming on here to argue with people instead of trying to be constructive and coming up with solutions to the problems that UTEP has. Jason R got a cheerleader pregnant...wow. You make no mention of anything positive I have said. You just want to be the board instigator. You don't defend your points that you make at all but instead you ridicule all the points I make. You want Tim Floyd to leave too? Why? Because he hasn't won conference titles or a national championship? With the recruiting budget UTEP has, Floyd does an exceptional job in getting the players that he gets but still you're not happy. You make no mention of the points I made about Haskins. You're unhappy with Floyd although we'd be lucky to get another coach with his caliber to stay at his salary. So, what is your point? Do you have one? Why come on this board if you do nothing but criticize?

See that tells you a lot about all these fans... You spend more eating at whataburger but they find all these reasons why they can't donate 5 dollars.... They want the best but expect everything to be given to them they don't want to do anything extra ....

Thank you Purplefire. My point exactly.

With the recruiting budget UTEP has, Floyd does an exceptional job in getting the players that he gets but still you're not happy.

Floyd has done an exceptional job? LOL!!! Now THAT is funny.

Why is it that the three coaches before Floyd got UTEP to the Big Dance and Floyd can't? Let's see if you can answer that question.

Yeah, it's $300 per seat- $100 is the donation and $200 is the season ticket. I'm on the 40 yard line.
The donation portion is 190, the ticket is 100. It's a thing all athletic programs do, to give fans a chance to use the purchase towards their itemized tax forms. It's not in sense of the word a donation. You have to pay it

So no one on this board is willing to start a $5.00 donation towards the UTEP basketball/football programs because Mr. El Paso Chihuahua wont either? Do you all think a winning program will someday come along? I'm just asking, I'm not trying to start an argument. If you read the thread, you'll see El Paso Chihuahua boy bitches about all the coaches, wants to show the city how big he is donating to the programs because he has season tickets but yet is unwilling to fork out another $5.00. This is why CUSA newcomer UTSA kicks our butt already. They and other schools do whatever it takes to promote and go beyond season tickets to help the program. Anyone else have ideas of what we can do, please present them. Chihuahua boy is a typical negative fan who wants a Steve Spurrier here at $200,000 a year to win consecutive conference titles and bowl games, who loves the city and is happy to stay for the Mexican food. Mr. Chihuahua has no points he can back up nor can he do math yet he challenges my posts with stupid typical idiotic rhetoric to cover his stupidity. Come on Mr. Chihuahua boy, what else you got? Let's see what other nonsense comes out of your mouth.

Funny how 9 of the 11 responses to this thread have come from Mr. Chihuahua yet even in those 9 responses, he fails to make any valid points. Lets demote him to a high school football reporter. He'll say teams like Allen beat El Paso teams because they have bigger stadiums or something stupid like that. Right Chihuahua boy?

Reactions: mikesarabia
LOL, not even a point to anything I have pointed out. Is that all you got? See, you just like to look important here, a big man. Fact is, you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground. Just goes to show all you do here is put others down but when confronted, you can't back up crap. You know nothing of what UTEP needs, you just like to hear yourself. Go on Forrest, run...lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT