ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone thought of this?

Is this board what makes you feel important? You challenge my posts then can back crap up big man? You are the reason UTEP stays stuck in a rut. You care nothing of the success of the programs. You come on this board pretending you know everything. Fact is you know nothing of Economics or basic math. You have season tickets??? Wow, then you bitch at all the players and coaches. Be proactive. Know what that means? Look it up. maybe you'll understand what being a true fan is. If not, go back to Mexico and cheer on some soccer team. What else you got big man?

So you centered everything I suggested around Haskins? Haskins was a one of a kind. In this day and age of coaches being paid millions of dollars per year to stay at a school you think it has to do with how much they love the city? So Billy Gillespie didn't stay because he didn't like the city? Doc Sadler left because he didn't like El Paso? What was Jason Rabedeaux's excuse for leaving? The weather? HELLO. Money. No more no less. Then you ask, "Do we really want him to stay for years?" Why shouldn't he? Isn't that what Haskins did? Did Haskins win a conference title or go to the NCAA tournament every year? No but we still loved the guy. All those promotions you mentioned do nothing to help UTEP athletics keep good people. All it does is give people a cheap excuse to attend a game then complain about why we keep losing. Did you watch the Texas/Oklahoma game this last weekend? As crappy as Texas has been this year, they still manage to sell out their games. More than 100,000 people. A fan base is centered around people who want the school to succeed and will pay a good coach a great salary to stay. How do you think TCU and Baylor got where they are today? Buy one get one free nights? $5 dollar ticket nights? Former players??? You shot down the idea of having the city rally around UTEP without even trying it or allowing the media to present it. How do you think UNM was able to get a coach like Steve Alford? Last, I'd gladly give at least $5.00 and I don't even live in El Paso anymore. You live there but wouldn't donate to the cause?

Do you buy season tickets? I'm guessing not since you live in Albuquerque, right? I have a friend who is a UTEP graduate, lives in San Antonio, buys season tickets, and comes to one or two games a year and donates the rest of his tickets. He does this to support his school. Sounds like all you're willing to give is $5 -- big supporter!

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Yeah Unihorn, I live in Albuquerque but still make 2-3 basketball and at least 1 football game a year. See, if you go back and read my posts, you'd see that I said I would donate at LEAST $5.00. Why do people like me and your friend do the donating when we don't even live in El Paso? You live there but sounds like you're too cheap to put up $5.00. Yeah, I am a big supporter from long distance. I don't have to be but I went to UTEP and marched in the marching band for 4 years. You must live with Chihuahua boy. You post crap that makes no sense, you have no points to what you post and like Chihuahua boy, you make fun of people because they make you look stupid. Chihuahua boy has nothing to come back at me with except, "Keep it going so we can continue to laugh at your posts. " A typical defense mechanism idiots use when they look and feel stupid.

Not true. He threatened to leave UTEP for Lamar University if UTEP didn't pay him more. Boosters and UTEP ponied up the money ASAP.
Actually, he never "threatened" to leave. He was asked to interview for the open job at Lamar. It did get the attention of the administration and of some boosters who came up with a nice annuity plus incentives package. Which was long overdue. Of course, he did leave briefly one time for the University of Detroit job, but returned after one day up there.

Come on! This bozo goes to to to three basketball games a year and one football game a year. And he's even willing to give another $5!!! And he was in the marching band!!!! Puts you to shame. :rolleyes:

Hey, I have an idea. You like making fun of people. Go tell current band members that you think you're more important because you buy such expensive seats. At BB games, tell Pep band members that they're useless. Try it, I dare you. Poor pendejo likes to ridicule? And then Bozo is the best you can come up with. You must be a real smart couple of guys huh? Lol, funny how people on this board enjoy seeing put in your place. They must be as tired as I am of having to listen to you both. Lol.

Financially what UTEP lacks is big money donors, people who drop 5,6,7 figures on a routine basis. UTEP doesn't have that yet (we have to hope a UTEP grad makes it big and cares about the university enough to give back). Everything we regular folk give is just enough to keep the lights on, barely.

Financially what UTEP lacks is big money donors, people who drop 5,6,7 figures on a routine basis. UTEP doesn't have that yet (we have to hope a UTEP grad makes it big and cares about the university enough to give back). Everything we regular folk give is just enough to keep the lights on, barely.
At least you make great valid points and talk like an adult unlike Chih boy who makes no points and really has nothing intelligent to say. Thanks for your post.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Financially what UTEP lacks is big money donors, people who drop 5,6,7 figures on a routine basis. UTEP doesn't have that yet (we have to hope a UTEP grad makes it big and cares about the university enough to give back).

That's what we really need. Brian Young paid for UTEP's headsets awhile back and Paul Foster (who didn't even go to UTEP) paid for the practice facility and Larry K. Durham paid for the beautiful weight room. If we can get at least 5-10 more big money donors, it will greatly benefit UTEP.

That's what we really need. Brian Young paid for UTEP's headsets awhile back and Paul Foster (who didn't even go to UTEP) paid for the practice facility and Larry K. Durham paid for the beautiful weight room. If we can get at least 5-10 more big money donors, it will greatly benefit UTEP.
Well once you figure out the price of your season tickets, let us know

So, to show my support for the future success of UTEP, if someone on this board can speak to anyone in the UTEP athletic department, figure out how a bank account can be set up, I'll be the first to send in $20. Hopefully someone here knows someone at UTEP that can get this rolling. As I tried to say before, if we can all band together, rally the media, contact alumni and any other long distance UTEP supporters, get the city involved and have 60, 000 people drop $5.00 to the cause, that's at least $300,000 more the athletic didn't have before. I would think more people would donate more than $5.00 and probably more than $20.00 as long as they knew this was all set up correctly and that all money donated could be accounted for. I'm tired of wasting my time arguing with the regulars who just don't get it. Who knows, we could actually afford to pay Floyd, Kugler or any other future head coaches a million dollar salary and finally have some coaching stability here in El Paso.

He left because he got a UTEP cheerleader pregnant.

CHi, you do a lot of poking at UTEP and claim to be a season ticket holder yet you know nothing about past nor even recent past about UTEP athletics. The Rab affair literally played out on public sports radio, local news, internet and in the papers and you had no idea?

Reactions: efrainUtep1
Yeah, I was thinking about going lower, but I am happy with my seats.
WHERE DID YOU GO CHIHUAHUA BOY?????? Get kidnapped by the cartels or did someone finally shut that big stupid trap of yours? I thought you were a big loyal Miner fan but you have disappeared. Thank God. You were an idiot anyway!!!

So you centered everything I suggested around Haskins? Haskins was a one of a kind. In this day and age of coaches being paid millions of dollars per year to stay at a school you think it has to do with how much they love the city? So Billy Gillespie didn't stay because he didn't like the city? Doc Sadler left because he didn't like El Paso? What was Jason Rabedeaux's excuse for leaving? The weather? HELLO. Money. No more no less. Then you ask, "Do we really want him to stay for years?" Why shouldn't he? Isn't that what Haskins did? Did Haskins win a conference title or go to the NCAA tournament every year? No but we still loved the guy. All those promotions you mentioned do nothing to help UTEP athletics keep good people. All it does is give people a cheap excuse to attend a game then complain about why we keep losing. Did you watch the Texas/Oklahoma game this last weekend? As crappy as Texas has been this year, they still manage to sell out their games. More than 100,000 people. A fan base is centered around people who want the school to succeed and will pay a good coach a great salary to stay. How do you think TCU and Baylor got where they are today? Buy one get one free nights? $5 dollar ticket nights? Former players??? You shot down the idea of having the city rally around UTEP without even trying it or allowing the media to present it. How do you think UNM was able to get a coach like Steve Alford? Last, I'd gladly give at least $5.00 and I don't even live in El Paso anymore. You live there but wouldn't donate to the cause?
Baylor got where they are today because they are in the big 12…. Their attendance for basketball sucks !!

So no one on this board is willing to start a $5.00 donation towards the UTEP basketball/football programs because Mr. El Paso Chihuahua wont either? Do you all think a winning program will someday come along? I'm just asking, I'm not trying to start an argument. If you read the thread, you'll see El Paso Chihuahua boy bitches about all the coaches, wants to show the city how big he is donating to the programs because he has season tickets but yet is unwilling to fork out another $5.00. This is why CUSA newcomer UTSA kicks our butt already. They and other schools do whatever it takes to promote and go beyond season tickets to help the program. Anyone else have ideas of what we can do, please present them. Chihuahua boy is a typical negative fan who wants a Steve Spurrier here at $200,000 a year to win consecutive conference titles and bowl games, who loves the city and is happy to stay for the Mexican food. Mr. Chihuahua has no points he can back up nor can he do math yet he challenges my posts with stupid typical idiotic rhetoric to cover his stupidity. Come on Mr. Chihuahua boy, what else you got? Let's see what other nonsense comes out of your mouth.
Chihuahua ate your lunch in this debate

• Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas
How do you know that ? Every report I’ve ever heard it was a cheerleader
Student, yes.

Cheerleader, no.

The whole affair played out like a tabloid then at some point the part about it being a cheerleader was added, but it was never true. It just got repeated so much that it "became" true. Much the same way people "remember" that Jeep Jackson died from a drug overdose

Yup, UNM produces great basketball teams, great tradition. So why can't UTEP get a coach like Alford? Your buying season tickets, that's great, but that's a bit different from a donation. As far as comparing UTEP to Texas? Why shouldn't I? Want me to compare UTEP to UTSA? Maybe Texas Southern? Your rebuttal makes no sense. You enjoy coming on here to argue with people instead of trying to be constructive and coming up with solutions to the problems that UTEP has. Jason R got a cheerleader pregnant...wow. You make no mention of anything positive I have said. You just want to be the board instigator. You don't defend your points that you make at all but instead you ridicule all the points I make. You want Tim Floyd to leave too? Why? Because he hasn't won conference titles or a national championship? With the recruiting budget UTEP has, Floyd does an exceptional job in getting the players that he gets but still you're not happy. You make no mention of the points I made about Haskins. You're unhappy with Floyd although we'd be lucky to get another coach with his caliber to stay at his salary. So, what is your point? Do you have one? Why come on this board if you do nothing but criticize?
I like your thinking but I do recall one of our coaches (some time ago) stating that it was difficult to recruit to El Paso. The coach further clarified that they would fly the recruits in at night. El Paso is a great place to live, especially if you are from El Paso BUT the city really hasn't advanced like other southwest cities. Take for example, Tucson or Phoenix. El Paso has some work to do.

Coach Don Haskins spoiled generations with his loyalty and unfortunately, he was a once in a lifetime person. We (including myself) are all waiting for the next Don. While it isn't unreasonable for us to hope for that, we need to support the Miners financially. Even with a winning season, this year, our football team was unable to draw a sellout crowd or even get close. Our fanbase can be fickle.

Will a big-name coach put butts in the seats? I do think it would help but we also need to work on the marketing of UTEP and the narrative. Media plays a big part in this as well.

Reactions: LTMiner61
I like your thinking but I do recall one of our coaches (some time ago) stating that it was difficult to recruit to El Paso. The coach further clarified that they would fly the recruits in at night. El Paso is a great place to live, especially if you are from El Paso BUT the city really hasn't advanced like other southwest cities. Take for example, Tucson or Phoenix. El Paso has some work to do.

Coach Don Haskins spoiled generations with his loyalty and unfortunately, he was a once in a lifetime person. We (including myself) are all waiting for the next Don. While it isn't unreasonable for us to hope for that, we need to support the Miners financially. Even with a winning season, this year, our football team was unable to draw a sellout crowd or even get close. Our fanbase can be fickle.

Will a big-name coach put butts in the seats? I do think it would help but we also need to work on the marketing of UTEP and the narrative. Media plays a big part in this as well.
CTF was a big name coach

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT