ADVERTISEMENT

Horrible coach(ing)

UTEPfan1966

MI VIP
Apr 26, 2016
A few things pop out at me....well aside from the fact we are an enormous dumpster fire...

A lot of people are high on Barnes. Why didn't this kid play last night? What do you have to lose?

Floyd thinks so highly of Thomas to give him #22. The kid plays like a minute then yanked and yelled at. Never seen again....(he's gone....bet me)

Cameron came in and gave a spark at the end of the last game. The fans love him....Guess what? That's right...he plays zero minutes again....

Looks like Barrett just had one freak night....

We can't shoot....we can't guard....

Oh but hey....down 3 with 30 seconds to play, Floyd called a timeout to draw up a play! YIPPIE!!!! Oh wait again...the best thing he could come up with was Harris jacking up a contested 3 from 6 ft outside the arc with 25 seconds to go....great call there coach......

#firefloyd

We did have to replace 13 Seniors in one season and Isaac Hamilton should be here. Roman Silva and Josh Brown would have helped. Other teams have better players but they don't have the character to be a Miner. Next year we have several players who recruiting services feel are mediocre but we feel will make us Gonzaga. We only recruit guys who have all-conference level talent. I just don't see why people don't get it.

We did have to replace 13 Seniors in one season and Isaac Hamilton should be here. Roman Silva and Josh Brown would have helped. Other teams have better players but they don't have the character to be a Miner. Next year we have several players who recruiting services feel are mediocre but we feel will make us Gonzaga. We only recruit guys who have all-conference level talent. I just don't see why people don't get it.

Yeah. The whole thing leaves me scratching my head. (Hope I don't have lice...)

lieb

If the leadership at UTEP doesn't care about the state of this program why should the fan base care? All Stull does is BS the top donors and takes their money with no regard of setting goals for its head coaches. Landing a bowl game is not unrealistic especially with so many bowl games played nowadays. Winning conference titles is not unrealistic with maybe a tournament bid at least once every three years. It's time the top donors start to demand more from this leadership this is completely unacceptable.

GO MINERS!

If the leadership at UTEP doesn't care about the state of this program why should the fan base care? All Stull does is BS the top donors and takes their money with no regard of setting goals for its head coaches. Landing a bowl game is not unrealistic especially with so many bowl games played nowadays. Winning conference titles is not unrealistic with maybe a tournament bid at least once every three years. It's time the top donors start to demand more from this leadership this is completely unacceptable.

GO MINERS!

Hey Baby it's me posting from heaven!

You guys need to get up here and quick! Haskins is stomping a hole in the floor about his boy Floyd. He said it's time for him to retire and sit next to him on the Miner bench up here. We got Kentucky in about an hour and I need to warm up my voice.

Floyd and Stull need to go!

So it seems that people like utep-piggy have left the board now that we are winning. True troll

Funny reading about how Barnes and Cameron should play more and that Paul Thomas (C USA player of the week!) will be "gone"

Some of these not so old posts seem funny now

You know it's not over until it's over. YES it has been a tremendous turn around that nobody expected, a 180 degrees turn around, a tremendous coaching job, I recognize it. But Floyd has yet to get us to the NCAA Tournament or win a postseason game. So until I see that happening then I'll take off my hat.

You know it's not over until it's over. YES it has been a tremendous turn around that nobody expected, a 180 degrees turn around, a tremendous coaching job, I recognize it. But Floyd has yet to get us to the NCAA Tournament or win a postseason game. So until I see that happening then I'll take off my hat.

Shit, I actually agree with you for once.

To go along with Alvino while this in season turnaround has been unexpected and great it's no reason to gloat.

Mathematically we are eliminated from the regular season title. Meaning it will now be seven full years and TF still can't win a conference title. Also we will not be in the NIT.

UTEP has only lost 15+ games three times in the last 14 years and two belong to TF. The other Barbee's first season.

Not to mention the embarrassing home losses to Maryland Eastern Shore, NAU and others. While it's good that we are no longer rated 350/351 I think we all deserve better.

Unless this team keeps it together until March 11 then on March 12 we are all sitting by our TV waiting for UTEPs name to be announced there is nothing to brag about.

I see a lot of people pleased with the turnaround and holding their heads a little higher, with good reason. But I haven't seen any "gloating". Playing out possible scenarios isn't gloating. At any rate, if there was gloating, we all know there's a poster or two ready to shoot that plane down. Myself, I'm just taking each game as it comes. No one is more surprised at the last 11 games than me. I was dead serious back in January, when I said this team may not win another game. I saw a team that was that awful. I'm not even thinking about the C-USA tournament other than I hope we manage a top 4 finish and get a bye. Then we'll take it from there. This team is still so fragile that finishing with a 4 game losing streak is not out of the question either, in my opinion.

I wouldn't call them fragile. They're playing inspired and tough. But yes, it will be year seven without anything delivered by Floyd when all is said and done.

Did anyone catch the radio show last night? UTEP fans went from "having no idea" six to seven seeks ago to "educated" last night. LOL!

Certainly the Miners are learning how to win, playing with poise, playing as coached, following game planning and preparing. I'm not totally sold if they've turned the corner on their psyche. Maybe some leftover paranoia from the horrid start on my part. Physically, as evidenced by Wilmms troubles at the start of the season, we're just a bad injury away from having this crumble. That's what I meant by fragile.

Since I'm the one that used the word "gloat" I'll assume the post was directed at me. It's one thing to speculate about a top four finish, a conference tournament run or even a third tier post season invitation. That's one of my favorite things to do.

Mr Jack who has resurrected a couple of old threads has done none of that. Maybe "gloat" was not the correct word to use. To me it sure felt like he was patting himself on the back for not having engaged in the prior "fire Floyd" "burn everything" threads while UTEP endured the longest losing streak in 70+ years. At this point we still haven't accomplished anything significant. Not during this season or the previous six other years of TF's reign.

I think if we can win three of our last four and maybe a couple more in the tourney that would be justification for a piddly third rate post season shot. Right now we are 9-2 over the last eleven games. Three more regular season wins plus two in the CUSA tourney and we are 14-4 over the final 18 games. Not bad. Some previous seasons we've started well and finished rotten. Not a good justification for accepting an invite. At 14-4, that's some mojo!

I think if we can win three of our last four and maybe a couple more in the tourney that would be justification for a piddly third rate post season shot. Right now we are 9-2 over the last eleven games. Three more regular season wins plus two in the CUSA tourney and we are 14-4 over the final 18 games. Not bad. Some previous seasons we've started well and finished rotten. Not a good justification for accepting an invite. At 14-4, that's some mojo!

I don't see us getting a post-season invite with our overall record. I think it's win or go home for our boys.

Just remember that those tourney folks look strongly at attendance expectations. Would they rather have a 19- 14 team with anticipated attendance of 856 or a 16-17 team with an expected crowd of 5,000?

Reactions: Cube Jack
I didn't say we did. I just think there are more attractive mid-majors this year. We'll see...

As stated above, the CBI and CIT go by attendance figures more so than overall records. The home team has to pay $50,000 to play. UTEP would easily get 5,000 people.

If we didn't win the conference tournament, then a CBI or CIT Tournament could make sense in order to give a UTEP team that returns almost everybody next season some tournament experience. But one has to ask, would it make sense for Matt Willms to play in this type of tournament? 7 footers only get so many healthy miles on their feet and I wonder how many of those miles he/we want to use on a CBI Tournament? It might make more sense not to risk it and focus on trying to give him a normal off-season for once, with preparation for a strong Senior Season. In that case, then we are looking at a CBI team with Kelvin Jones and Ivan in the post instead. This could be a factor into making that decision.

Reactions: unihorn
If we didn't win the conference tournament, then a CBI or CIT Tournament could make sense in order to give a UTEP team that returns almost everybody next season some tournament experience. But one has to ask, would it make sense for Matt Willms to play in this type of tournament? 7 footers only get so many healthy miles on their feet and I wonder how many of those miles he/we want to use on a CBI Tournament? It might make more sense not to risk it and focus on trying to give him a normal off-season for once, with preparation for a strong Senior Season. In that case, then we are looking at a CBI team with Kelvin Jones and Ivan in the post instead. This could be a factor into making that decision.

"a UTEP team that returns almost everybody next season"

Are you new here?

Joking aside, I don't think anyone knows what this team will look like next season. My guess is a lot of new faces, as usual...

NCAA or bust
Leaning towards this. Last season when we finished 19-14 it would have made sense. Not because of the record but to give Artis some extra time to accommodate. A few more practices and games for Omega, Winn and Thomas would not have hurt either. Ultimately if the players want to continue playing I say let BS take out his checkbook.

I didn't say we did. I just think there are more attractive mid-majors this year. We'll see...
Many of the more attractive mid-major teams choose not to play. It costs money and there are now five post-season tournaments, so more opportunities. Last season the CBI had no major conference teams and Seattle, UNC Greensboro, and Western Carolina all had losing records. That was definitely the weakest CBI field ever and I don't know if that was a fluke or a trend, but a hot UTEP team with 15 wins or so can probably play in the CBI if they're willing to pay. And given the strong finish to the season and the way this team has come together, I like their chances better than the UTEP teams in the past that lost in the first round with a better record.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
I guess we'll find out soon enough, but I like the idea of resting Willms as Defense said.

Plus, I don't think the casual El Paso fan is that excited about this team -- maybe I'm wrong.

I guess we'll find out soon enough, but I like the idea of resting Willms as Defense said.

Plus, I don't think the casual El Paso fan is that excited about this team -- maybe I'm wrong.

Fans are starting to get excited. The Southern Miss game got about 7,000 fans. This sucks because if UTEP beat the teams they should have beaten at the beginning of the season I would imagine we could have sold out some games. If there is a CBI game UTEP would make money easily.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT