ADVERTISEMENT

How many die-hard, local fans does UTEP have?

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
Fans that buy season tickets and/or go to most games whether the Miners are winning or losing -- I'd guess:

Football 15k

Basketball 5k

What do you think?

I would say 20k for football and 7k for basketball.

From going to most of the games for the last ten years, I see why you'd throw those numbers out, but I see plenty of people at the games who likely were given free tickets and wouldn't go otherwise, so I rounded them down.

From going to most of the games for the last ten years, I see why you'd throw those numbers out, but I see plenty of people at the games who likely were given free tickets and wouldn't go otherwise, so I rounded them down.

But are the tickets paid for? Like business buy them and give them to their employees? I could be wrong, but I don't think UTEP gives out thousands of tickets for free. As long as the tickets are paid for, I think it's good that people are going to the games- they might buy concessions or it might persuade them to attend a future game.

Yes, I mean season ticket holders and/or businesses buy the tickets and then give them away.

Do students get free tickets if they're taking a full schedule of classes? They should.

I also think they should bus a bunch of Ft. Bliss soldiers in for free on nights like last night when they know there will be lots of empty seats.

Yes, I mean season ticket holders and/or businesses buy the tickets and then give them away.

Do students get free tickets if they're taking a full schedule of classes? They should.

I also think they should bus a bunch of Ft. Bliss soldiers in for free on nights like last night when they know there will be lots of empty seats.

Well then I think that's a good thing that the tickets are used instead of them going to waste.

Students who take at least 12 hours get free tickets.

I really think there is not much interest from soldiers to attend the games- even for free.

There is now a lottery system for the students to receive their game tickets. I don't think demand is higher than supply so every student that wants a ticket can probably get one. There is an allotment though I believe.

20 k for football

6K for basketball

Other than homecoming or high profile opponents, there are never more than 2000 students at games. We have a die hard core of about 20000 fans.

Hoops we get about 6k no matter what. The thing that worries me about hoops is that well over half the season ticket holders are over 60. Hoops is not attracting young season ticket holders. The fact that we havent been realavent in almost a quarter century, combined with the fact that we play in a one bid league presents serious challenges for cultivating young season ticket holders. The people who remember the greatness of utep hoops are aging and dying. We need to get good fast or attendance will fall off a cliff fast.

Floyd's boring style of play doesn't help either. Its funny how a lot of people questioned Barbee's dribble drive system, but it worked and it put butts in the seats.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
There are 100 times more die hard Cowboys fans in El Paso than Miners Fans. Cowboys haven't done anything significant in over 20 years yet the support in EP is overwhelming. The excuse for EP not supporting the Football Miners is because they "always lose"....So what's the excuse for the 'Boys?

There are 100 times more die hard Cowboys fans in El Paso than Miners Fans. Cowboys haven't done anything significant in over 20 years yet the support in EP is overwhelming. The excuse for EP not supporting the Football Miners is because they "always lose"....So what's the excuse for the 'Boys?

So true -- the best time to go shopping in EP is during a Cowboys game.

They use the 5 Super Bowl rings for the excuse. They make it seem like 1995 was 2 years ago and not 20 years ago. And they play in a division where a team with a .500 record can play make the playoffs.

It's hard to compare the NFL to the NCAA. I think most of the loyal UTEP fans are UTEP graduates or have family members attending UTEP. You can choose to be a fan of any NFL team. I am not a fan of the Cowboys, but I choose to be a fan of another team (eventhough I have no affiliation to that city).

I think most of the loyal UTEP fans are UTEP graduates or have family members attending UTEP.

There's also a strong segment of mostly older fans that support UTEP just because it's our major local team and university. Many of these fans didn't go to UTEP and don't have kids that went to UTEP. The program better figure out how to replenish or replace this crucial segment.

There's also a strong segment of mostly older fans that support UTEP just because it's our major local team and university. Many of these fans didn't go to UTEP and don't have kids that went to UTEP. The program better figure out how to replenish or replace this crucial segment.

VERY true. Mike Price was the one who resurrected the football program and is the main reason why we have about 20k loyal football fans. This team would have 10-15k loyal fans before Price was here.

I read somewhere that UTEP has about 40,000 alumni living in the El Paso area, which seems like a low number to me. Regardless, that's a bunch of alumni, and current students, not going to games.

I read somewhere that UTEP has about 40,000 alumni living in the El Paso area, which seems like a low number to me. Regardless, that's a bunch of alumni, and current students, not going to games.

I think that number is about right- a lot of people leave El Paso as soon as they graduate UTEP.

Let's say the number is 60,000 (40,000 alumni and 20,000 current students)- to have about 20,000 die-hard fans is very good.

I think that number is about right- a lot of people leave El Paso as soon as they graduate UTEP.

Let's say the number is 60,000 (40,000 alumni and 20,000 current students)- to have about 20,000 die-hard fans is very good.

1/3? I wouldn't call that good in a town with not a lot else going on.

1/3? I wouldn't call that good in a town with not a lot else going on.

There are lot of things going on in El Paso. I always hear "there is nothing to do in El Paso". I love El Paso not because of the great weather, easy to get around, but there is always something to do. Second of all, there are a number of people that do not like sports or just don't like football. I would say 1/3 is a very good number for a football team that hasn't won a bowl game in half a century.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT