ADVERTISEMENT

I predict NMSU and Liberty

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
will be CUSA replacements.

i have no proof or resources just a hunch.

Your speculation is as valid as anyone else's. Those are 2 possible additions if the conference goes from 14 down to 10 or 8.

The Sun Belt didn't even want NMSU.
They wanted them when they needed teams to keep the conference alive but they were contracted for x number of years. By the time that contract ended the SBC had called up enough closer schools so they refused to renew the contracts of Idaho and NMSU.

There are stronger Texas FCS schools we can choose from.
Probably but seems to me that adding schools in Texas to the fbs ranks has made things more difficult for UTEP recruiting and more would water recruiting down even more. Who did you have in mind?

Probably but seems to me that adding schools in Texas to the fbs ranks has made things more difficult for UTEP recruiting and more would water recruiting down even more. Who did you have in mind?
Such is our life. It really stings seeing NT as a top candidate for MW and UTSA for AAC. Sam Houston State. Unless we want to join them in the WAC.

NMSU and Liberty are everyone’s last resort. NMSU because their football sucks so bad and Liberty because schools are afraid of their money.

While Libery would be a good addition, NMSU wouldn’t. NMSU is terrible and would hurt an already bad CUSA. I hope UTEP can manage to either go to the MWC or stay with the other three current CUSA Texas schools.

AAC is going to tell us to f*ck off while taking whoever they want. CUSA and SB should do this with whoever is left. SB feels they're in position to poach CUSA so my guess is, it doesn’t happen.
Yes. That “Southwest League” that is mentioned in the article, would be great, but SMU will have no part of it. AAC will take UAB and others. SBC will pick 2 of the rest.

Reactions: JCorona
Yes, but they won’t be getting $10,000,000 this time. And again, once Liberty joins, they will start dominating the league. That’s why CUSA will only take them if it means survival.
Liberty and the omnipotence of NoWins in one thread.

kill-me-hand-gun.gif

Time to watch some more college football and wait for the game. Hopefully Miners win and NoWins will be off for a couple days.

Regionalization should be the result of this, and agree that the AAC will have no part of it. Taking the AAC out of that list and throwing NMSU in (just it makes too much sense), you have:

UTEP
NMSU
Texas St.
Rice
Arkansas St.
La Tech
Louisiana
ULM

With UNT and UTSA, I guess that's not....horrible. Assuming they bolt to the AAC, then it's pick your favorite leftovers to get to 10 or 12. Troy? Southern Miss? MTSU? South Alabama? That's getting fairly unpalatable, but that's what we get for a decade of mediocrity at best.

Liberty and the omnipotence of NoWins in one thread.

kill-me-hand-gun.gif

Time to watch some more college football and wait for the game. Hopefully Miners win and NoWins will be off for a couple days.
He's not wrong. Since becoming FBS Liberty is 6-1 vs CUSA
5-1 vs Sun Belt. Including a win over #12 CC
2 wins over P5 teams.
I don't include MW and MAC teams cuz they've only played 3 games against them but they won all 3.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Regionalization should be the result of this, and agree that the AAC will have no part of it. Taking the AAC out of that list and throwing NMSU in (just it makes too much sense), you have:

UTEP
NMSU
Texas St.
Rice
Arkansas St.
La Tech
Louisiana
ULM

With UNT and UTSA, I guess that's not....horrible. Assuming they bolt to the AAC, then it's pick your favorite leftovers to get to 10 or 12. Troy? Southern Miss? MTSU? South Alabama? That's getting fairly unpalatable, but that's what we get for a decade of mediocrity at best.
Should RICE and UTEP work together again to try and get into the SB?

UTEP
NMSU
Texas St.
Rice
Arkansas St.
La Tech
Louisiana
ULM

That probably looks better than what the reality will be. Of course if the MWC decides not to jump into Texas now and the AAC decides to only grab one for the time being then cusa should remain around 10-12 members.

That probably looks better than what the reality will be. Of course if the MWC decides not to jump into Texas now and the AAC decides to only grab one for the time being then cusa should remain around 10-12 members.
Exactly. Everyone is prophesying the death of CUSA. Chances are the MW stays at 12, AAC grabs one or two teams, and the SB is unsuccessful in luring anyone from CUSA.

If AAC is smart they take UAB and the best team from SB. At that point I could see CUSA either grabbing one or maybe even 3 teams from SB.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Should RICE and UTEP work together again to try and get into the SB?
They could try but I think the SBC wants strong football teams closer to their footprint. USM does not have strong football at the moment but they are deep south and have a good brand so I think they will go to the SBC. Marshall might go as well. Can't imagine the SBC would go past 12.

He's not wrong. Since becoming FBS Liberty is 6-1 vs CUSA
5-1 vs Sun Belt. Including a win over #12 CC
2 wins over P5 teams.
I don't include MW and MAC teams cuz they've only played 3 games against them but they won all 3.
They’re up 14-0 on MTSU right now too. They have so much money, they won’t accept losing. Being in CUSA/SBC is the ONLY advantage those schools currently have over Liberty. You don’t want Liberty in your conference because you’re not winning many championships in any sports after that.

They’re up 14-0 on MTSU right now too. They have so much money, they won’t accept losing. Being in CUSA/SBC is the ONLY advantage those schools currently have over Liberty. You don’t want Liberty in your conference because you’re not winning many championships in any sports after that.
Liberty looks like they'll go undefeated vs CUSA and SB this season. They have four games left. That's just football. Their basketball team has made some noise recently. All around strong programs.

Exactly. Everyone is prophesying the death of CUSA. Chances are the MW stays at 12, AAC grabs one or two teams, and the SB is unsuccessful in luring anyone from CUSA.

If AAC is smart they take UAB and the best team from SB. At that point I could see CUSA either grabbing one or maybe even 3 teams from SB.
If cusa escapes with it's britches still on then they need to get a deal with espn, even if we have to have the occasional Monday morning coffee clutch game. Our media deals expire one year from this coming spring so now is the time to start working on that while we still have Delaney working for us. Our conference is almost invisible to the casual football fan. I can watch all of UTEP's games on espn+ but most fans are channel surfing.

They could try but I think the SBC wants strong football teams closer to their footprint. USM does not have strong football at the moment but they are deep south and have a good brand so I think they will go to the SBC. Marshall might go as well. Can't imagine the SBC would go past 12.
It would be quite the coup if the SBC lures away CUSA teams. Yeah no way they go past 12. Everyone has seen the mistakes that CUSA made several year ago.

Our conference is almost invisible to the casual football fan. I can watch all of UTEP's games on espn+ but most fans are channel surfing.
That is the difference and why the SBC has surpassed CUSA. CUSA didn’t want to play Tuesday and Wednesday games and settled for the crappy deal they have now. Playing on ESPN on Tuesdays and Wednesdays when you have “Top 25” teams is great. SBC has taken advantage of that.

As a fan, I like that almost all of UTEP’s home and conference games are on ESPN+\3. I know it doesn’t help the conference and recruiting, but its better than FloSports and needing a full cable package to see games.

That is the difference and why the SBC has surpassed CUSA. CUSA didn’t want to play Tuesday and Wednesday games and settled for the crappy deal they have now. Playing on ESPN on Tuesdays and Wednesdays when you have “Top 25” teams is great. SBC has taken advantage of that.

As a fan, I like that almost all of UTEP’s home and conference games are on ESPN+\3. I know it doesn’t help the conference and recruiting, but its better than FloSports and needing a full cable package to see games.
That and the teams they picked. CC and Appalachian St everyday over Charlotte. If AAC takes Charlotte they don't really hurts us.

Georgia Southern is a bit down right now but they'll get it figured out and be better than most teams in CUSA. Should have gone for established FCS powerhouses instead of markets.

If we get raided hopefully CUSA learned their lesson. SHSU and JMU should be at the top of our list.

Liberty up on MTSU they would be 3-0 in CUSA. Later this year they play North Texas.

That and the teams they picked. CC and Appalachian St everyday over Charlotte. If AAC takes Charlotte they don't really hurts us.

Georgia Southern is a bit down right now but they'll get it figured out and be better than most teams in CUSA. Should have gone for established FCS powerhouses instead of markets.

If we get raided hopefully CUSA learned their lesson. SHSU and JMU should be at the top of our list.
Hindsight is 20/20 though. Charlotte’s problem is their basketball program hasn’t been very good for a long time. CC and App St don’t have very good basketball programs. I bet CUSA was counting on Charlotte being pretty good in hoops. Now knowing that markets don’t really matter in the G5 level, you definitely would take Coastal and App St. I don’t know why the AAC would take Charlotte, but whatever.

I wouldn’t mind SHSU, but I don’t see them moving up soon. Could care less about JMU, definitely don’t want more east coast conference mates.

While Libery would be a good addition, NMSU wouldn’t. NMSU is terrible and would hurt an already bad CUSA. I hope UTEP can manage to either go to the MWC or stay with the other three current CUSA Texas schools.

UTEP and NMSU need to start working with each other. UTEP should be lobbing for NMSU to join CUSA.

NMSU and UTEP are a hard sell together because they're the same TV market.

Liberty's politics are a hard sell in that their political views don't mesh with Left thinking academia.

I think SHSU is ready to move up. That's why they joined the WAC. With the promise that the WAC will eventually become an FBS conference.

I think SHSU is ready to move up. That's why they joined the WAC. With the promise that the WAC will eventually become an FBS conference.
Unfortunately an fbs wac may be our southwestern conference home down the road. Not very exciting but probably stable.

Unfortunately an fbs wac may be our southwestern conference home down the road. Not very exciting but probably stable.
Add NMSU and us to it and all our travel costs are at a minimal. Only problem is that if CUSA is still around they'll probably be poaching teams from the WAC every time they lose a team. That's why I think CUSA should get ahead of the curve and poach them now before WAC becomes FBS.

NMSU and UTEP are a hard sell together because they're the same TV market.

Liberty's politics are a hard sell in that their political views don't mesh with Left thinking academia.
Um CUSA is in the south Liberty's politics would welcomed with open arms. Remember CUSA was the only conference playing last year???

I think the only thing holding NMSU from joining CUSA has been UTEP.

Add NMSU and us to it and all our travel costs are at a minimal. Only problem is that if CUSA is still around they'll probably be poaching teams from the WAC every time they lose a team. That's why I think CUSA should get ahead of the curve and poach them now before WAC becomes FBS.
If you’re talking about basketball, yeah. Depending on the size of the conference, a team might have to make 2 football trips out here a season. Nmsu also has baseball. That’s more traveling and expense they don’t deal with now. Not to mention any other sports they carry which we don’t.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT