ADVERTISEMENT

If Aaron Jones stays healthy.......

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
And keeps playing like he did last night, he should make some All American teams this year and next year, as a senior, he should be touted by UTEP as a Heisman candidate! He is that good.

Agree, the key Is for Jones to stay healthy. It looks like he's bigger than he was last year. He has the same explosive speed and had added more muscle. I would like to see the frosh rb and Laufassa take some of the of the load off Jones

Watching the televised replay, even the post game show crew, which consisted of former nfl players including Donovan McNabb were wondering what in the world was Kuglar doing playing Jones on special teams. One of them actually pleaded, "please, please coach. Don't play Jones on special teams!" I agree. 18-22 carries tops.

If something happens to Jones we will be fine. Watley and Dove are more than capable of replacing Jones. I hope nothing happens to Jones but we are very deep at tailback.

I believe Coach Kug is trying to get AA Jones ready for the NFL. I have to agree
AA Jones needs around 24 carries max in order to stay healthy. Jones has a
big target on his back.

Go Miners...

Even the 24 touches need to be spaced out. Jones is more susceptible to injury when they try and run him back to back to back.

As for the NFL, Jones won't be an every down back (do they even make those anymore? lol). He'd be more of a change of tempo RB for teams that need that get-to-the-hole quickly type of runner. If history has shown us one thing, the NFL hasn't had that long term kindness to RBs his size.

Lastly, getting him ready for the NFL means don't run him to death during the season. :)

I hope Aaron Jones survives Texas. He's a tough kid but too many touches against them will not be worth an injury.

I believe Coach Kug is trying to get AA Jones ready for the NFL. I have to agree
AA Jones needs around 24 carries max in order to stay healthy. Jones has a
big target on his back.

Go Miners...
I think he his. I think it's becoming a moot point for a Kugler led UTEP team. He does emphasize "toughness, toughness, toughness", and he did say it's needed if you go on to the NFL and he has no doubt Jones can play at that level (the commentators said over the weekend Kugler felt Jones would have been on the Steelers roster while he was there).

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
I think he his. I think it's becoming a moot point for a Kugler led UTEP team. He does emphasize "toughness, toughness, toughness", and he did say it's needed if you go on to the NFL and he has no doubt Jones can play at that level (the commentators said over the weekend Kugler felt Jones would have been on the Steelers roster while he was there).

I stand by my previous statement. lol. If the goal is to get him to the NFL you can't run him to death now. lol

Remember Kyle Field in 2000? We were up on the Aggies 17-14 at half and we pulled the starters either at half or early in the 3rd quarter if memory serves. Would you be all right if something like that happened Saturday?

Even the 24 touches need to be spaced out. Jones is more susceptible to injury when they try and run him back to back to back.

As for the NFL, Jones won't be an every down back (do they even make those anymore? lol). He'd be more of a change of tempo RB for teams that need that get-to-the-hole quickly type of runner. If history has shown us one thing, the NFL hasn't had that long term kindness to RBs his size.

Lastly, getting him ready for the NFL means don't run him to death during the season. :)
Ummm.... Emmit Smith.....Barry Sanders..... Ummm which Aaron Jones is Bigger than both he's 5-11 210 and will be 215 in the NFL, he was a small back coming out of high school, but no so much n e more. I don't think you've seen him up close recently, he's put on 50lbs since high school and has grown an inch or more

AA also has god-given strength and speed. He's a natural freak athlete so he might be able to withstand more punishment but 31 carries is ridiculous.

:)
I agree. That final offensive series in the 4th quarter, we did two back to back runs with Jones and the 3rd run in a row to Jones, Jones got drilled backwards on the line of scrimmage. We were very fortunate he didn't get injured on that play.

Ummm.... Emmit Smith.....Barry Sanders..... Ummm which Aaron Jones is Bigger than both he's 5-11 210 and will be 215 in the NFL, he was a small back coming out of high school, but no so much n e more. I don't think you've seen him up close recently, he's put on 50lbs since high school and has grown an inch or more

Smith was a thick 220-225 pounds. Even Sanders at 205 was thick in the thighs. Jones is linear. There's a difference in withstanding punishment at 30+ carries a game vs 20-25. Don't forget, the NFL may look the same as CFB, but it isn't. In the league everyone is bigger, faster, stronger.

Tossing out Smith and Sanders as being examples doesn't make your point. I could easily shift that to far more RBs - more closely to Jones' frame that didn't last in the League even with 20-25 carries - and that was during the NFL's run game heyday.

Moot point at this point. Kavika is starting so expect Jones touches to be (somewhat) reduced on Saturday.

KJ vs Swoopes? This is going to interesting to watch..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT