ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Stat regarding Kugler

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
Something interesting that has happened with Kugler, is that Kugler has turned into one of the biggest supporters of signing hispanic athletes.

David Lucero, Mark Torrez, Richie Rodriguez, Alan Luna, Robert DeHaro, Josh Ortega, Alex Fernandez, Ruben Guerra, Will Hernandez, Mike Sota, Trace Mascorro, and Markos Lujan have all recieved scholarships(or are committed to recieve scholarships) from Kugler.

Last season there were only 50 hispanic football players in CUSA. According to the NCAA stats, only 1 in 38 D1 football players is hispanic. Yet in Kugler's Program, roughly 1 out of every 7 football players is hispanic. Essentially, this means that Kugler is running his Program at over 500% above the national average.

The link for these stats is here:

http://web1.ncaa.org/rgdSearch/exec/saSearch

I bring this up only because El Paso has not seemed to fully embrace Kugler(I.E. the smaller attendances), not even during the second year when Kugler was winning. He is a former UTEP player and a UTEP Alumni. He has also signed more El Pasoans and possibly more hispanic athletes than any previous UTEP Coach. These are not the most important reasons to judge a coach, but one would think that El Pasoans would be more receptive to showing support towards a Coach that is doing new and different things to reflect the community where he is coaching.

Anyways, just a side thought.

Something interesting that has happened with Kugler, is that Kugler has turned into one of the biggest supporters of signing hispanic athletes.

David Lucero, Mark Torrez, Richie Rodriguez, Alan Luna, Robert DeHaro, Josh Ortega, Alex Fernandez, Ruben Guerra, Will Hernandez, Mike Sota, Trace Mascorro, and Markos Lujan have all recieved scholarships(or are committed to recieve scholarships) from Kugler.

Last season there were only 50 hispanic football players in CUSA. According to the NCAA stats, only 1 in 38 D1 football players is hispanic. Yet in Kugler's Program, roughly 1 out of every 7 football players is hispanic. Essentially, this means that Kugler is running his Program at over 500% above the national average.

I bring this up only because El Paso has not seemed to fully embrace Kugler(I.E. the smaller attendances), not even during the second year when Kugler was winning. He is a former UTEP player and a UTEP Alumni. He has also signed more El Pasoans and possibly more hispanic athletes than any previous UTEP Coach. These are not the most important reasons to judge a coach, but one would think that El Pasoans would be more receptive to showing support towards a Coach that is doing new and different things to reflect the community where he is coaching.

I like what Kugler is doing especially with the local kids. I think Coach Kugler is a good judge of talent and he would't recruit anyone who couldn't do the job just because the player is from El Paso.

Reactions: JCorona
I like what Kugler is doing especially with the local kids. I think Coach Kugler is a good judge of talent and he would't recruit anyone who couldn't do the job just because the player is from El Paso.

Sean? Sean, is that you? C'mon Sean, talk to me bro, is that really you?

Reactions: UTEP05
Sean did recruit and develop more All Americans than the entire C-USA combined. If only he would open up his offense and get some Ws.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Sean did recruit and develop more All Americans than the entire C-USA combined. If only he would open up his offense and get some Ws.

That is the most frustrating and a glaring example of why he needs to move away from his offensive mindset. His kill the clock on the opponent does not work and only once in his four years has he been able to come from two td's to win a game (UTSA). Other than that, if Kug football gets behind by two or more, the game is pretty much done because his conservative approach does set the team up to win, or so it appears.

But his recruiting is solid and brings in good kids for the most part. His players never show quit. They have looked overmatched a few times (Army, ODU, USM to name a few), but they do play hard and do show grit.

Now that FB season is over, im more balanced with Kugler coming back next season ( He is stubborn, but lets see what next year brings. Now, Floyd. OMG make the miracle happen and let him walk after this season! Take Johnson and lil Larry E with him as well... heck his whole staff :)

He needs to recruit Speedy Gonzales, pronto!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT