ADVERTISEMENT

Is this Utep MBB worst season?

Billy G's first season only produced 6 wins, but he came in practically when the season started.

Believe it or not the late 70's were not so good for Haskins, but not this bad. Then came the golden 80's for UTEP.

The game last night was embarassing. If it weren't for Wade we would have lost by 50. Announcers gave us what we deserved. This was the worst game I've seen in years and the buildup has been coming. Our play in the 2nd half of conference games has just been horrible.

Wade can be a star player down the road. Wade's new step back is NBA like. He just needs to use it to drive or get fouled, rather than just hold the ball when he doesn't shoot. He is getting tired on defense at the 4 but what else can we do with all the injuries..

Last edited:
I think Billy G’s first season was worse. He didn’t even have a full roster. But they played their hearts out. These guys folded like a cheap suit vs Boise and it’s been downhill ever since.

No comparing BillyG first year, that team may not have won, but they flat out played hard. I would watch any of those games over the disaster of a team we have now. You can lose, but play hard. I am seeing none of that this year...

Reactions: mikesarabia

I mean Billy G. His first season nobody was expecting a winning season and he played in a tougher conference. I think this season is worst ever. Not only in basketball but also in football. This year sucked being a Utep fan.

No comparing BillyG first year, that team may not have won, but they flat out played hard. I would watch any of those games over the disaster of a team we have now. You can lose, but play hard. I am seeing none of that this year...

I can agree with that. They were only 7 deep at the time, and I remember they were diving for loose balls in February and they even stole a game in the conference tourney.

Reactions: miner1liner
I would say that this is the lowest point in UTEP mbb history. The reason being is that we aren’t very good and there isn’t anything to look forward to presently. At least last season ‘the Calvary’ was on its way. Right now we have no coach, a terrible team, and no Calvary to look forward too. There is anything lower than having no hope.

Kickball sez: "Rightnow we have no coach, a terrible team, and no Calvary to look forward too. There is anything lower than having no hope."

Calvary? Yes, I think the coaching staff and admin staff should be "crucified". ;)
And I hope the "cavalry" doesn't arrive to save them. :mad:

There was one awful Haskins year where the team didn't qualify for the WAC tournament in the 90s. It was during the days of BJ Wade and Jose Escobedo.

I actually think next year has a strong possibility of being far worse than this year. First, while the new guys have shown some potential, they all have significant holes in their respective skill sets. When comparing them to freshmen at other CUSA schools, I've actually been more impressed with several other schools; La Tech and UTSA come to mind; just with those I have seen. Second, there could be multiple defections from the current team, which would further deplete the team. Lastly, by the time the new coach is hired, there will be very little time to put together any type of impactful class. In short, next year, unfortunately has the makings of a much more challenging year. At this point, a year similar to BCG's first year, may be what we are looking at. I hope not.

Reactions: El Paso 777
At this point it comes down to who is staying after we get a new coach. The good news is BCG showed that you can overhaul the roster fairly quickly.

Jason Rabedeaux's first season did have a few promising players. Roy Smallwood was a freshman who would have ridden the bench under Haskins. Brandon Wolfram went on to have his name honored and played professionally after beating Antoine Gillespie's scoring record.

Reactions: unihom
Shame this had to happen to Gilyard because he's gonna be a bad dude someday. I hope it's here. in a couple of years MTSU will be sorry for their insolence.
I thought MTSU played their style of ball. Perhaps they could've put in bench sooner but even they played well.

Show him the old video of Smooth falling on his fanny on break away dunk.

Reactions: jdubb66
I thought MTSU played their style of ball. Perhaps they could've put in bench sooner but even they played well.

Show him the old video of Smooth falling on his fanny on break away dunk.
Or Hardaway committing a crucial turnover late in a tournament game when he was a freshman.

Is this the worst basketball season ever - no in fact with Stull and Floyd erased from our program it could be argued that this is one of our best. Hope abounds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT