ADVERTISEMENT

It’s been a while since we’ve seen this level of bb in EP

Sure is nice when you can point out several glaring flaws yet have the talent to make up for it...and in a big way...against our biggest rival. Nice 15 point win.
Yes, and it sounds like it will take some time for the crowd to relearn how to make the Don rock again. Teicher mentioned the crowd was a bit subdued. On to UNM.

ok maybe better here... does anyone in the know... is archie really one of our best players? or just highly rated? big difference.....

Yeah I mentioned in the other thread that the crowd seemed really tame, but honestly couldn't tell if it was the audio from my (totally legal) stream.

It seems like this happens often with the bigger crowds lately. I remember that 1st Tim Floyd game ( which was a sell out), and you could hear a pin drop almost the whole game

ok maybe better here... does anyone in the know... is archie really one of our best players? or just highly rated? big difference.....

It’s all speculation at this point, but there are several of us who have heard that he is the real deal. I’m one of them and I whole heartedly trust who I heard it from (someone pretty close in). Our best player, though? I don’t know. I have a suspicion that our best player will change from game to game.

Reactions: miner1liner
It’s all speculation at this point, but there are several of us who have heard that he is the real deal. I’m one of them and I whole heartedly trust who I heard it from (someone pretty close in). Our best player, though? I don’t know. I have a suspicion that our best player will change from game to game.

which is going to make this team special!!!

Or best player is Williams I think, but there isn't a lot of dropoff from him to Lathon, Efe, Boum, and Edward's. Hawkins and Villa are great supporting players as well.

You are right though, fanaticoog. All these guys are good enough to be the hero on any given night.

Post floyd era feels sooo good.... :)

Yes, and it sounds like it will take some time for the crowd to relearn how to make the Don rock again. Teicher mentioned the crowd was a bit subdued. On to UNM.
I think there is two reasons for the crowd being subdued at the start. One, you could tell the miners were the much better team from the start. What kept the aggies in it in the first half were the long ass rebounds and some bad turnovers, other than that you could see UTEP was going to dominate and pull away, it was just a matter of when.
Second, what is the point of having an orange out game unless everyone buys an orange jacket??? They still had the damn ACs on just like the last game and it was freezing outside. Most people didn't take off their jackets throughout the game. Kinda hard to get into the game when you come in thinking you're gonna be warm, but you're still cold

The crowd will come around. Tim Floyd gave Miners fans a bad taste in their mouth. As much as we thought he would bring UTEP basketball back it just never happened. Defense against NMSU is what we all envisioned when Floyd was here if they can keep that type of play this team will do damage. Good starting point for these Miners, it's good to get excited about the Miners again been a long time coming.

Fan anxiety. NMSU had some nice strokes at the 3 to keep it close that shut the fans up quickly. UTEP D was Haskins disciplined towards the end and fans let out a collective sigh of relief it appeared to me.

Reactions: Lil_Train
The students came alive in the second half. It was great to see the students get into the game and give the aggies a hard time. I’m hoping the students will show up in great numbers like they did tonight and help bring back the excitement we saw with the old Miner Maniacs.

The students came alive in the second half. It was great to see the students get into the game and give the aggies a hard time. I’m hoping the students will show up in great numbers like they did tonight and help bring back the excitement we saw with the old Miner Maniacs.
you mean the zoo crew

I think there is two reasons for the crowd being subdued at the start. One, you could tell the miners were the much better team from the start. What kept the aggies in it in the first half were the long ass rebounds and some bad turnovers, other than that you could see UTEP was going to dominate and pull away, it was just a matter of when.
Second, what is the point of having an orange out game unless everyone buys an orange jacket??? They still had the damn ACs on just like the last game and it was freezing outside. Most people didn't take off their jackets throughout the game. Kinda hard to get into the game when you come in thinking you're gonna be warm, but you're still cold
Agree! I’m a huge Miner supporter but I don’t have an orange jacket so I left my brown jacket on the whole game because they have the AC on. No point to have an Orange Out if it’s going to be like this.

One thing I like this year is the announcer isn’t constantly imploring the crowd to “stand for defense.” They know when to get loud without being pestered about it all game.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
It's just one game, but I hope our ongoing concerns about the perimeter game; 3 point shooting in particular improve. This along with point guard play were my main worries, but I feel very comfortable with Lathon now and I didn't before. Edwards and Boum just had off nights...me thinks!

It's just one game, but I hope our ongoing concerns about the perimeter game; 3 point shooting in particular improve. This along with point guard play were my main worries, but I feel very comfortable with Lathon now and I didn't before. Edwards and Boum just had off nights...me thinks!

That’s kind of the beauty of this team, and partially what I was alluding to. We can have guys with off nights and we have enough others who can pick up the slack. We are fairly versatile as a team in regards to line up, how we can score in a variety of ways, our defensive looks/pressure, etc...

Honestly, NMSU was never in the game. It was the perimeter defense that won the game. Williams didn't play but for 18 minutes of the game due to foul trouble. Odigie can't jump and Verhoeven can't score. It was the length of Vila, Edwards, Lathon and Boum that controlled the game. Taking care of the ball doesn't hurt either.

I think a big issue with the crowd is the age factor. There were a lot of 55+ in the crowd, from what I saw, and most of them were sitting with their arms crossed every time the camera zoomed in on the fans.

Most of the people getting excited about the team are fans who were there during the good years. Obviously, you can't expect a lot of the older folk to be jumping in their seats and screaming the whole game.

UTEP just needs to keep winning consistently, so they can market to the younger generation of fans who have no real connection to the program. Most of them have only known this program to be subpar. Hopefully they come around.

What I do find interesting is that the smaller crowds tend to be louder and more energetic. Maybe it's because the overall ratio of hardcore fan vs casual fan is better, which helps feed the energy. Hard to get the energy around you going, when there are more casual fans who are going to sit quietly, no matter what's going with the game

The cheerleaders weren't quite in game form. No DEFENCE chants. No picks up. They need to get it together @jimsenter. Oh and only 1 MINERBALL that I recall.

I’m wondering if CRT has told them to cool it on some of that stuff. I’m glad if so. It gets old. And PLEASE get some new songs to play.

Our new president; together with CRT needs to formulate a mandatory class for ALL students and other newbees to attend. The class will show videos of me and all the other "old timers" that stood, jumped, yelled, jeered, sang and maybe shouted out some juicy names back in the 60's, 70's and 80's and didn't stop till the game ended. The class would be called, " How to be a crazed Miner idiot at a basketball game".
Those were the days my friends.

Our new president; together with CRT needs to formulate a mandatory class for ALL students and other newbees to attend. The class will show videos of me and all the other "old timers" that stood, jumped, yelled, jeered, sang and maybe shouted out some juicy names back in the 60's, 70's and 80's and didn't stop till the game ended. The class would be called, " How to be a crazed Miner idiot at a basketball game".
Great idea. They can integrate it into the 'how to study for college course'.

I’m wondering if CRT has told them to cool it on some of that stuff. I’m glad if so. It gets old. And PLEASE get some new songs to play.
uni, please. If the tops were lower cut, the girls much prettier and legs that go from here to Fort Stockton you'd be asking for closer ticket to the floor and say they need to do more.

Bring back the Miner Maniacs.

uni, please. If the tops were lower cut, the girls much prettier and legs that go from here to Fort Stockton you'd be asking for closer ticket to the floor and say they need to do more.

giphy.gif

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think that if the team keeps winning the people will show up. I usually take my kids (big kids) and I am planning on taking my grandson
even though he is three. Got start them early.
Some of the things that I heard from the younger generation is that UTEP just can't win in basketball and football. Hopefully
RT can change that and get us back where we belong...

Go Miners...

I’ve been on this board since 2008, and I wonder how many regular posters are under 35. This is a big problem for the fandom, the younger fans are just not passionate about the team. We have to consistently win and let the new generations build their own culture. The only tradition that really deep down matters is that we play DEFENSE here at UTEP. The students don’t give a damn bout the Amen chant and what it was like in the 80’s. Real talk.

Last edited:
I’ve been on this board since 2008, and I wonder how many regular posters are under 35. This is a big problem for the fandom, the younger fans are just not passionate about the team.

What do you expect? The only good teams they have seen are the 3 NCAA and a couple of solid NIT teams. It’s up to the UTEP players and coaches to give them reasons to become passionate fans.

UTEP does not need fans to be successful. UAB, MTSU, and Marshall all won NCAA tournament games recently and they all averaged less fans than their Miner counterparts those years. Fans or lack there of, are only used as scapegoats by uninformed, dumb fans.

The Tampa Bay Rays are always near or at the bottom of attendance and they make the playoffs. Florida Gulf Coast made the Sweet 16 averaging less fans than the Miners got for their game against NM Highlands.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT