ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s face it UTEP should drop football or drop to FCS

Or let's not. As Miner fans, we have suffered during football season more than any fan base ever should. Winning seasons have been an incredibly rare appearance in the Far West Texas desert. That said, winning seasons have happened. And they can happen again.

Stull was able to win with Yung's recruits and some key ones of his own (Patrick Heggarty, for example) sprinkled in. No one knows what would have happened if he had stayed. Despite the hatred for him here, Bailey built up a team, Nord was able to take it to a bowl game. Unfortunately, Nord seemed to have lost the respect of his team as his tenure went on. One thing that we learned in hindsight, however: the man knew his to recruit to UTEP.

We found that out with Price. One thing that we eventually also found out with Price: he didn't know how to recruit to UTEP. One other thing: his lack of team discipline caught up to him as the season, and the seasons, wore on.

Each of the coaches mentioned abovd, well, except for Yung and Bailey, brought winning seasons to El Paso. Even Kugler was responsible for a winning season and a bowl game. But, as noted, in between there has been a lot failure. A whole lot of failure.

I believe that there are coaches out there that can both recruit to El Paso, teach their recruits, and maintain the fine line of establishing discipline without being overbearing. We've hired a few that could do some of the above, but we need to hire a coach who can do all of the above.

In order to find this coach the athletic director needs to make sure he does a few things. If he hires someone who has been a head coach before, he needs to hire someone who has had a lot of success as a head coach. We cannot take a chance on a coach who has a poor, or uneven, coaching record. If we hire an assistant, it needs to be a highly respected coordinator from a successful program. While I'm sure that there are several position coaches that would make good head coaches, we don't need to be the school that gives them a chance.

Following the above increases, but doesn't ensure, that we will get a good coach. Once the coach is here, the AD needs to monitor his progress. Is the team losing because of a lack of talent left him from the previous head coach, or is it an issue with discipline, play calling, poor scheme, and/or a lack a preparation. A new coach isn't responsible for the former, but is for all of the latter. As the coach's career continues, his team's progress, or lack thereof, should be monitored and assessed. The AD should not hesitate to take appropriate action on an underperforming coach.

I believe that we have, time and time again, made poor hires for head football coach. We have also been too slow at firing coaches who don't produce. From the way it looks now, Senter made a bad choice on his first hire. Let's hope that he makes a good choice the second time around.
Dimel sure seems like another Yung. I know he's going to be here for another season, though, at least, so I might as well cheer for the Miners and hope to be proven wrong.

You drop football you lose conference affiliation. You lose sponsorship dollars, you lose donations. At that point you may as well drop to d3.
boom end of discussion, dumb topic that always gets brought up here.

We suck, live with it like we've had the past 100 years, if they didn't kill the program in the 90's its going to be here regardless, and mod delete this thread, please. I see autograph boy has returned to the board in his rare nerd/douche/dork form.

You drop football you lose conference affiliation. You lose sponsorship dollars, you lose donations. At that point you may as well drop to d3.

You can go Indy in football. Take a look at NMSU’s schedule and honestly tell me it’s worse than what we regularly have.

How do you know UTEP will lose sponsorships and donations? Obviously, sucking hard for 50 years doesn’t matter, what makes you think not playing the likes of FAU and Marshall will do so?

You can go Indy in football. Take a look at NMSU’s schedule and honestly tell me it’s worse than what we regularly have.

How do you know UTEP will lose sponsorships and donations? Obviously, sucking hard for 50 years doesn’t matter, what makes you think not playing the likes of FAU and Marshall will do so?

I’m going to have to finally agree with you since you know something about sucking hard.

Boy, I'm old enough to remember when I suggested we go indy. That was soooo long ago. Like, a couple of months ago. Caught plenty of crap for it then too.

Still think it would work for us. We're a perennial loser in football so why not play the money games to help men's basketball return to glory? What shame would there be in getting back to the NCAA tourney?

Reactions: minermaniac2023
Boy, I'm old enough to remember when I suggested we go indy. That was soooo long ago. Like, a couple of months ago. Caught plenty of crap for it then too.

Still think it would work for us. We're a perennial loser in football so why not play the money games to help men's basketball return to glory? What shame would there be in getting back to the NCAA tourney?

Precisely. We’re not competing for conference championships or making bowl games on a regular basis anyway. Going Independent has it’s advantages, especially with all the recent teams doing so. Join a smaller basketball league, like the WAC and the chances for making the tournament go up.

UTEP games aren’t on national television now anyway, makes no damn difference

Precisely. We’re not competing for conference championships or making bowl games on a regular basis anyway. Going Independent has it’s advantages, especially with all the recent teams doing so. Join a smaller basketball league, like the WAC and the chances for making the tournament go up.

UTEP games aren’t on national television now anyway, makes no damn difference

It makes a difference to players getting killed by bigger, stronger teams for money they get none of.

Instead of dropping down to FCS, maybe C- USA 3.0 should drop UTEP out of the conference. Look at what it did for Temple U. when it was dropped from the Big East Conference.
"The Owls are primarily members of the American Athletic Conference (The American). Since their football team participates in the NCAA's Division I Football Bowl Subdivision. The football program was a member of the Big East Conference until its expulsion after the 2004 season due to a variety of program shortcomings. Temple played a limited MAC schedule in 2005 and 2006 before becoming an affiliated football-only member and playing a full 8-game league schedule in 2007.
The landscape of Temple sports has changed recently, thanks to a major realignment of Division I conferences. Temple football returned to the Big East in 2012, and then became a full member of the renamed American Athletic Conference in July 2013, after being a full member (non-football) of the A-10 since the early '80s."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Owls

Is NMSU football raking it in?

It makes a difference to players getting killed by bigger, stronger teams for money they get none of.

And since when do we care about the players? These same players are missing tons of class time taking trips to West Virginia and Florida. Nobody thought of them then, why now?

I’m pretty sure these players would rather play in front of 80,000 and lose by 60 to Alabama, than lose to Charlotte in front of 5,000.

This isn’t autograph boy and like playing softball is so badass!
Well, I don't know if you're autograph boy, but you did start the "Senter is Clueless!" thread and, if one goes into that thread and follows the Twitter link that you posted, one will see several tweets from autograph boy saying the same things you said in the thread.

I actually never had any beef with him, so it makes no difference to me whether you're him or not.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Independence doesnt work. There is no tv revenue, there are no bowl tie ins. I have no idea why alot of yall's wet dream is to be NMSU. They've been a top five mid major program for a decade. It hasn't got them money or elevated their status.

I dint know why most of you think we would be perennial tourney participants if we dropped down. In the last twenty five years we've been to more bowl games than NCAA tourneys. Outside of the 80's we've never been to the tourney more than twice in a decade.we've never been a consistent winner in hoops. I dont know why yall think if we drop down we automatically start winning.

A winning football program lifts all the sports.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Well, I don't know if you're autograph boy, but you did start the "Senter is Clueless!" thread and, if one goes into that thread and follows the Twitter link that you posted, one will see several tweets from autograph boy saying the same things you said in the thread.

I actually never had any beef with him, so it makes no difference to me whether you're him or not.

So “I” posted on here first, then waited several hours later to respond to him on Twitter? Why would “I” do that? Why wouldn’t “I” just respond to him right away, since everyone knows who “I” am anyway? What’s the point of waiting?

Independence doesnt work. There is no tv revenue, there are no bowl tie ins. I have no idea why alot of yall's wet dream is to be NMSU. They've been a top five mid major program for a decade. It hasn't got them money or elevated their status.

I dint know why most of you think we would be perennial tourney participants if we dropped down. In the last twenty five years we've been to more bowl games than NCAA tourneys. Outside of the 80's we've never been to the tourney more than twice in a decade.we've never been a consistent winner in hoops. I dont know why yall think if we drop down we automatically start winning.

A winning football program lifts all the sports.

You bring up good points. I don’t know the answer because I don’t have access to NMSUs and UTEPs ledgers. It would be interesting to see.

My point is, we’re not winning anything in CUSA, especially football, so it really makes no difference if we have bowl tie-ins or not. Keeping Dismel past this year (assuming 1 more win or less) is insane. They gotta try something else.

I see autograph boy has returned to the board in his rare nerd/douche/dork form.

I haven't been on this board for over a year and it was fun just to read the comments and not respond.

I know who minermaniac2023 is. We don't agree on everything, but we have a lot of similar opinions.

I don't care if you make fun of me or my hobbies. I love collecting autographs and hanging out with others who share similar interests. I sit with fellow autograph collectors at the games and it's always fun. I love meeting former NBA, NFL, WNBA, MLB, and MLS players at UTEP, Chihuahuas, and Locomotive games. It's also great to meet musicians, actors, and politicians. It's also fun to travel every now and then to go to other places to go to sporting events and concerts.

I met former NFL player Montario Hardesty at the game yesterday and he really appreciates signing and likes when people ask him because it's nice to be remembered. The players and coaches loved it and took videos and pictures because he doesn't get asked to sign very often.

So go ahead and keep making fun of me. It's really ok. If making fun of me makes you happy, then please continue to it.

I decided to sign up again because hopefully with basketball just starting there will be more to talk about. Hopefully this will be an exciting season. Go Miners!

I haven't been on this board for over a year and it was fun just to read the comments and not respond.

I know who minermaniac2023 is. We don't agree on everything, but we have a lot of similar opinions.

I don't care if you make fun of me or my hobbies. I love collecting autographs and hanging out with others who share similar interests. I sit with fellow autograph collectors at the games and it's always fun. I love meeting former NBA, NFL, WNBA, MLB, and MLS players at UTEP, Chihuahuas, and Locomotive games. It's also great to meet musicians, actors, and politicians. It's also fun to travel every now and then to go to other places to go to sporting events and concerts.

I met former NFL player Montario Hardesty at the game yesterday and he really appreciates signing and likes when people ask him because it's nice to be remembered. The players and coaches loved it and took videos and pictures because he doesn't get asked to sign very often.

So go ahead and keep making fun of me. It's really ok. If making fun of me makes you happy, then please continue to it.

I decided to sign up again because hopefully with basketball just starting there will be more to talk about. Hopefully this will be an exciting season. Go Miners!

tenor.gif

Unihorn gifs are the coolest. Remember only a troll resorts to name calling and going off-topic. It’s his specialty, just like Shorthorn football.

What is a realistic goal for UTEP football? In 5 years, where do you think a successful UTEP football team should be? Playing in a New Years Day bowl? Ain’t happening. After 5 years of winning seasons...what an invite to the Big 12? Ain’t happening. They’d have to go undefeated 5 years in a row to be given any thought of an invite and still probably wouldn’t get in. CUSA championship and Liberty bowl win? Whoopdie freakin do. Most probable outcome. They should’ve dropped down to Div 2 along time ago, built up a foundation and then move up. Maybe those teams could have competed and been a perennial playoff team, maybe. What’s the ultimate goal of any power 5 team? To win the National Championship right? Will UTEP ever come anywhere close to that ultimate goal? HELL NO! They should go indy, play in body bag games for the cash and use that to keep Terry or the next coach after Terry leaves.

What is a realistic goal for UTEP football? In 5 years, where do you think a successful UTEP football team should be? Playing in a New Years Day bowl? Ain’t happening. After 5 years of winning seasons...what an invite to the Big 12? Ain’t happening. They’d have to go undefeated 5 years in a row to be given any thought of an invite and still probably wouldn’t get in. CUSA championship and Liberty bowl win? Whoopdie freakin do. Most probable outcome. They should’ve dropped down to Div 2 along time ago, built up a foundation and then move up. Maybe those teams could have competed and been a perennial playoff team, maybe. What’s the ultimate goal of any power 5 team? To win the National Championship right? Will UTEP ever come anywhere close to that ultimate goal? HELL NO! They should go indy, play in body bag games for the cash and use that to keep Terry or the next coach after Terry leaves.

I wasn't old enough to see the last UTEP bowl win and wasn't old enough to remember the wins in '92.

All I want is a bowl win and a win in the NCAA Tournament. It's a realistic accomplishment. If NMSU can win a bowl game and go to the NCAA Tournament on a regular basis and actually come close to winning a game, I think UTEP can as well. UTEP has no excuse why they can't do it.

So basically you're a STAR ****er. Cool.

you get sexual gratification from being a weirdo... You follow stars around

Not sure how you infer I get sexual gratification from asking somebody for their autograph. Really strange anybody would even think that.

It's called a hobby. That's ok if you think I'm weird.

Also, I don't follow anybody around. Again, not sure how you even infer these things when I simple stated one of my hobbies is obtaining autographs.

I'm not saying anything. You just said you didn't know what a star Fu**** was, I was just telling you what it is... It could also be a shot, but I don't think it was implied that way.

If you want to be specific

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=star****er

this link doesn't work, but this is their definition

star****er
A person who obessessed with and seeks out personal interaction with celebrities. The desired interaction is often, but not necessarily, sexual in nature.

Last edited:
I'm not saying anything. You just said you didn't now what a star Fu**** was, I was just telling you what it is... It could also be a shot, but I don't think it was implied that way.

If you want to be specific

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=star****er

this link doesn't work, but this is their definition

star****er
A person who obessessed with and seeks out personal interaction with celebrities. The desired interaction is often, but not necessarily, sexual in nature.

Got you.

Appalachian State beat Michigan 12 years ago, has UTEP ever beat a Top 25 non-conference opponent? They beat North Carolina and South Carolina this season, UTEP hasn’t beat a P5 team since Ole Miss in 1967 and that was in the Sun Bowl. App St beat 2, on the road, in the same season.

They’re 4-0 in bowl games since moving up and UTEP hasn’t won any since 1967. They also have 3 Conference Championships during that time frame and UTEP has 1 shared one, ever.

It’s just time to stop pretending, it’s never getting better. We suck and will always suck. All these other schools win bowl games and upset P5 opponents. Drop to FCS or just drop it all together.
You simply don't understand College Athletics or D1 with this post. Frustration of over a programs ineptitude doesn't merit a drop to D2. UTEP actually has a higher athletic budget than most in CUSA. The support even in bad years which is quite often is better than those in conference with good teams. In good years there 40,000 plus. There's a lot more I could explain like how that would screw the basketball as well, as to why this is a ridiculous post and won't happen. However I'm sure most have set you straight on this already.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
It’s just time to stop pretending, it’s never getting better. We suck and will always suck. All these other schools win bowl games and upset P5 opponents. Drop to FCS or just drop it all together.

Realm has to agree with minermaniac2023. Personally, Realm would be in favor of dropping the football program for 2-3 years and then reviving it after we have the funds (AND WILL) to hire a proven coach and have a policy in place to demand accountability from the new coach.

UAB has already demonstrated this can be done to great success.

Also, there should be a representative from the fans that will be involved in the coaching selection process.
The 2 guys that have been doing the current selection have shown they don't know the scope of what is involved to get this program back on its feet. Having a fan represented in the process means Utep is more transparent in its hope to win back the fans that have been driven away from their beloved team because of the neglect they have been shown.

Utep fans will NOT accept the kind of moronic coaching choices they have been given. Having 15.6K fans at the last Sun Bowl game tells you that if nothing else.

Realm has put the football / basketball team on IGNORE since the 2nd season from Price and 2nd season from Gillispie... no Sun Bowl / Don, TV, Internet or Radio. And I feel fine...

And despite what some posters here are saying... dropping football is definitely on the table because having 15.6K fans at the Sun Bowl is simply not sustainable. Having your name continually mentioned in the bottom 10 list doesn't help either.

You might have seen it already... there's a new Utep hand gesture going around... you put your index finger and thumb together and pinch your nostrils closed.

Realm
alien.gif

77089346_10157668355388236_2036338183666401280_n.jpg.2647c4e0a891e129d058d10ac6ec4d1a.jpg

Last edited:
You simply don't understand College Athletics or D1 with this post. Frustration of over a programs ineptitude doesn't merit a drop to D2. UTEP actually has a higher athletic budget than most in CUSA. The support even in bad years which is quite often is better than those in conference with good teams. In good years there 40,000 plus. There's a lot more I could explain like how that would screw the basketball as well, as to why this is a ridiculous post and won't happen. However I'm sure most have set you straight on this already.

I never even mentioned D2, I said drop football completely or drop to FCS. FCS and D2 are way different. When was the last time UTEP averaged 40,000 plus? It probably won’t happen, but as you can see, others are tired of losing to every start up football school there is. UTEP has got their ass kicked by UTSA, ODU, and Charlotte and those football teams didn’t even exist 10 years ago. Any college can create a football team and UTEP will lose to them.

Realm has to agree with minermaniac2023. Personally, Realm would be in favor of dropping the football program for 2-3 years and then reviving it after we have the funds (AND WILL) to hire a proven coach and have a policy in place to demand accountability from the new coach.

UAB has already demonstrated this can be done to great success.

Also, there should be a representative from the fans that will be involved in the coaching selection process.
The 2 guys that have been doing the current selection have shown they don't know the scope of what is involved to get this program back on its feet. Having a fan represented in the process means Utep is more transparent in its hope to win back the fans that have been driven away from their beloved team because of the neglect they have been shown.

Utep fans will NOT accept the kind of moronic coaching choices they have been given. Having 15.6K fans at the last Sun Bowl game tells you that if nothing else.

Realm has put the football / basketball team on IGNORE since the 2nd season from Price and 2nd season from Gillispie... no Sun Bowl / Don, TV, Internet or Radio. And I feel fine...

And despite what some posters here are saying... dropping football is definitely on the table because having 15.6K fans at the Sun Bowl is simply not sustainable. Having your name continually mentioned in the bottom 10 list doesn't help either.

You might have seen it already... there's a new Utep hand gesture going around... you put your index finger and thumb together and pinch your nostrils closed.

Realm
alien.gif

77089346_10157668355388236_2036338183666401280_n.jpg.2647c4e0a891e129d058d10ac6ec4d1a.jpg

the 15.6 at the Charlotte game is a made up number. Just like the LaTech game. If there was 10k for Nevada, there’s no way more people showed up to LaTech and Charlotte.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Lets face the fact here. The last year of Kug and Dimal's first year we were a D2 football program. There are some positives with the program: the recruiting since Dimal got here is significantly better. The problem with improved football recruiting at UTEP is it takes two years before those players are ready to compete/win, even in CUSA. Most of UTEP's money comes from advertising, conference affiliation, student fees and donations. If UTEP officially drops to D2 which is actually called the FBS Football Bowl Subdivision, They will lose most of their advertising revenue and all conference affiliation money. The G5 schools receive $90 million to be divided up equally per conference. Conferences do not have to divide their share of the $90 equally. The independent schools will divided $1.56 million, but this does not include Notre Dame. The television contract for CUSA is between $400k-$500k per year. So UTEP gets about $1.6 million a year for being in CUSA. Not that our football is going to a bowl game anytime soon but CUSA has six bowl tie-ins that can generate any where from $500k to just over $1 million depending on the game. So dropping to FCS would mean a loss of about 7% of the athletic departments budget. I also believe that ticket sales would drop and we would hit at least a 10% drop in revenue. We already play one big money game a year so would 3-4 more be enough to offset the lose in revenue? I don't think so. I also did not include any money CUSA receives from the NCAA for basketball and television revenue for basketball. I hope this can finally put this drop to FBS talk to bed.

Lets face the fact here. The last year of Kug and Dimal's first year we were a D2 football program. There are some positives with the program: the recruiting since Dimal got here is significantly better. The problem with improved football recruiting at UTEP is it takes two years before those players are ready to compete/win, even in CUSA. Most of UTEP's money comes from advertising, conference affiliation, student fees and donations. If UTEP officially drops to D2 which is actually called the FBS Football Bowl Subdivision, They will lose most of their advertising revenue and all conference affiliation money. The G5 schools receive $90 million to be divided up equally per conference. Conferences do not have to divide their share of the $90 equally. The independent schools will divided $1.56 million, but this does not include Notre Dame. The television contract for CUSA is between $400k-$500k per year. So UTEP gets about $1.6 million a year for being in CUSA. Not that our football is going to a bowl game anytime soon but CUSA has six bowl tie-ins that can generate any where from $500k to just over $1 million depending on the game. So dropping to FCS would mean a loss of about 7% of the athletic departments budget. I also believe that ticket sales would drop and we would hit at least a 10% drop in revenue. We already play one big money game a year so would 3-4 more be enough to offset the lose in revenue? I don't think so. I also did not include any money CUSA receives from the NCAA for basketball and television revenue for basketball. I hope this can finally put this drop to FBS talk to bed.

I can already tell people are confused.

FBS is what UTEP is already in
FCS is the one with the playoff. It’s D1 teams, but smaller leagues. Stony Brook, James Madison, Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word, Alabama A&M.
Division 2 is super small schools like Western New Mexico, Metro St, UTPB, Simon Fraser.

I said FCS, where the Southland and Big Sky Conferences play football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT