ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s face it UTEP should drop football or drop to FCS

I never even mentioned D2, I said drop football completely or drop to FCS. FCS and D2 are way different. When was the last time UTEP averaged 40,000 plus? It probably won’t happen, but as you can see, others are tired of losing to every start up football school there is. UTEP has got their ass kicked by UTSA, ODU, and Charlotte and those football teams didn’t even exist 10 years ago. Any college can create a football team and UTEP will lose to them.
In your scenario of dropping football, we would lose our conference affiliation with Basketball and could even lose D1 basketball and I'm sorry you might be a new Miner fan I don't know, but I'm not down for losing Basketball as a D1 sport!

In your scenario of dropping football, we would lose our conference affiliation with Basketball and could even lose D1 basketball and I'm sorry you might be a new Miner fan I don't know, but I'm not down for losing Basketball as a D1 sport!
The WAC would gladly take our basketball and Olympic sports.

Reactions: minermaniac2023

Posts like this just prove my point that you guys are clueless and don’t know jack. Yes, UTEP might be kicked out of CUSA, but is that a bad thing? Oh man, gotta hang on to all those rivalries with FAU, Middle Tennessee and UTSA! What would we do without those teams coming to the Don ?

As Corona pointed out, UTEP would not lose D1 status. As I'm pretty confident that the WAC and Southland would take UTEP in an instant. The Big Sky and Summit would probably too. UTEP would still be in a one bid league, but have better and closer options than they do now.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Posts like this just prove my point that you guys are clueless and don’t know jack. Yes, UTEP might be kicked out of CUSA, but is that a bad thing? Oh man, gotta hang on to all those rivalries with FAU, Middle Tennessee and UTSA! What would we do without those teams coming to the Don ?

As Corona pointed out, UTEP would not lose D1 status. As I'm pretty confident that the WAC and Southland would take UTEP in an instant. The Big Sky and Summit would probably too. UTEP would still be in a one bid league, but have better and closer options than they do now.
Are you an Athletic Director? What makes you think you know the ripple down effect from dropping football would be as minimal as you lead on to believe. I've followed UTEP sport since my dad moved to Fort Bliss when I was 8 years old, so over 30 years now. Sat in the cold for 56-0 blowouts to old WAC opponents. So I know misery. One thing I've learned is UTEP Football is Bad, but also EP wants a winner and will support a winner. While I don't think Dimel is the man to fix it, I'm not ready to drop it just yet. We have a new president and hopefully she can start with a fresh new dedication to Football. Dimel will probably get one more year then be gone. Let's see if we can make a splash hire and at least get to respectability like we were with Price.

Dropping down doesn't mean UTEP will stay the same and will beat weaker opponents. UTEP was better against tougher opponents in the past. As the quality of the opponents has declined, so has UTEP.

There are a ton of kids who only sign with UTEP because it is at least a D1 or it's at least in CUSA.

Drop us down to FCS, and the kids we want will play for the other CUSA programs instead or other FCS programs.

Are you an Athletic Director? What makes you think you know the ripple down effect from dropping football would be as minimal as you lead on to believe. I've followed UTEP sport since my dad moved to Fort Bliss when I was 8 years old, so over 30 years now. Sat in the cold for 56-0 blowouts to old WAC opponents. So I know misery. One thing I've learned is UTEP Football is Bad, but also EP wants a winner and will support a winner. While I don't think Dimel is the man to fix it, I'm not ready to drop it just yet. We have a new president and hopefully she can start with a fresh new dedication to Football. Dimel will probably get one more year then be gone. Let's see if we can make a splash hire and at least get to respectability like we were with Price.

If an AD wanted to do this, they would send out feelers and see if they have options. Works the same way when you change jobs or lovers.

I know misery too, and I am tired of it. I am at the point of saying, “what’s the point”. Fire Dismel, get a young guy in here and if he’s successful and leaves, then we get someone else. Keeping someone or accepting so-so results so they don’t leave, is ****ing stupid. That tells me that UTEP would rather not be successful than be successful. They don’t care, why should the fans?

Exactly we’re going to continue to be the same bottom of the standings team we’ve always been. FBS, FCS, CUSA, or independent.

For gods sake we went life and death with the last place team from the Southland.

Well no shit guys. If you suck at something, how long do you keep trying to do it? UTEP absolutely sucks at FBS football, time to try something different. Maybe UTEP would be a bad FCS program, maybe they could be good. Doing the same thing over and over and over again, isn’t working. Dismel was a bad hire and the fans are the ones suffering. 31 losses in the last 3 years and we still have 3 more games left!

Well no shit guys. If you suck at something, how long do you keep trying to do it? UTEP absolutely sucks at FBS football, time to try something different. Maybe UTEP would be a bad FCS program, maybe they could be good. Doing the same thing over and over and over again, isn’t working. Dismel was a bad hire and the fans are the ones suffering. 31 losses in the last 3 years and we still have 3 more games left!
If the problem is bad coaches, then replace the coaches. Don't burn down the whole program out of frustration.

Unfortunately, bad management has left the team in such a bad state that will require more than a season to turn around. But that doesn't mean the answer is to give up on FBS and drop to FCS. Nobody outside of the Dakotas cares about FCS.

Just fix what's broken.

Of course not. They’re clearly different people that just think and write alike.

We’re not. Guess when all you guys were sucking Floyd’s ding dong for 7 years, you all were the same person. Glad you’ve taken a message board writing analysis class and come to that conclusion. Don’t quit your day job!

We’re not. Guess when all you guys were sucking Floyd’s ding dong for 7 years, you all were the same person. Glad you’ve taken a message board writing analysis class and come to that conclusion. Don’t quit your day job!

I’m not going to mess with you and yours anymore. You need professional help.

I literally said you guys all are different people. It’s very obvious you aren’t the same person.

I don’t think you’re autograph boy. I know who you are. We’re a small community. It doesn’t bother me what name you go by on a message board. We’re all fans and God knows UTEP can’t be picky. Keep doing you.

Reactions: minermaniac2023
If I can use the dating analogy. It seems like the people who want to drop the program would also propose for a person to stop dating.

Or the person who has struggled dating can go to the gym, update their wardrobe, work on their posture, go out more often, gain new hobbies, and change their luck.

I propose the latter. UTEPs history is not destiny. Put effort, be resourceful, be forward thinking and this program can be successful.

I'm old enough to remember when Baylor was a hopeless job. SMU and Memphis were at the same level as UTEP. UCF was terrible.

Things change, but you have to be proactive.

To continue this point, the Patriots were a laughing stock in football. The Clippers were the worst franchise in all of American sports. The Red Sox and the Cubs were "cursed".

I agree that our fortunes can change. I really thought that with a new AD things would be different. He goes and makes the same idiotic mistakes that we’ve already seen for decades. He had a chance to really light a fuse under this fan base and make us believe things would finally change.

Instead he hires someone with a record identical to UTEP to lead the change. If this isn’t the blind leading the blind then I don’t know what is.

Nice to see I leave for a short time and come back and still see stupidity. Thank gawd ya'll aren't on the political thing anymore, BUT I'm sad to see the local idiot(s) back.

For the record, local troll(s), if we dropped out of CUSA in football, we would lose all the money we currently get in revenue sharing being in the conference. You can argue however you want, but it DOES add to our revenue.

Here’s a story detailing the finances of NMSU as an independent. It’s kind of interesting that they’re getting 1 million from media rights. Isn’t that more than double than what cusa pays out?

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sp...ccia-dan-arvizu-college-athletics/2022783001/
That figure for media rights should be a red flag to reporters. How would they possibly make that much when members of the MAC, CUSA and SBC don't make that. I wonder if it is the marketing deal and not media.

It also says they’re collecting $3.8 million from guarantee games this year. Which is more than anything we will get from being in CUSA. Did UTEP release anything like this? Probably not, as they have no reason to. Since they have so many “loyal” fans that blindly support and are happy with 2 wins per season

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
That figure for media rights should be a red flag to reporters. How would they possibly make that much when members of the MAC, CUSA and SBC don't make that. I wonder if it is the marketing deal and not media.

Yeah, they’re probably lying. No school could be better than UTEP at anything, especially the Aggies. Fake news for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, they’re probably lying. No school could be better than UTEP at anything, especially the Aggies. Fake news for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Not sure why you take such a defensive posture when it comes to NMSU but what I was trying to say was that just putting the label "Media" next to the $1 million amount is too vague and will lead some, maybe even you, to think that NMSU has a leg up on UTEP and others when it comes to broadcast rights. It should be listed as multi-media rights which is a whole different thing. Stull managed to get such a contract for almost $2 million with ISP (later IMG) and they did almost nothing for UTEP except fork over the money. Now UTEP had a multi-media deal with Van Wagner and we will see if they can promote UTEP athletics better than IMG did.

https://krod.com/utep-athletics-and-their-img-incompetent-marketing-group/

Go independent in football and join
Big West or WCC in Basketball with NMSU.

Title IX.... you drop football you also drop softball, volleyball, soccer rifle and tennis. Now we're talking about not having enough sports at all. There goes conference affiliation. Kiss the music program goodbye since marching band will be gone. Now we have a big stadium with no one in it not to mention the now unused Memorial Gym, Helen of Troy Field and University Stadium. That terminates the jobs of anyone who works the events or grounds.
Gosh this makes way too much sense!! Way more sense than the idiots who have no understanding of the fallout from dropping the program!

Go independent in football and join
Big West or WCC in Basketball with NMSU.

Big West is a good bball conference. Adding Utep and NMSU would be good. I think Utep and NMSU need to work together and get into a conference and lead that conference. Like i dont think its a bad idea if Utep went back to the WAC. This is only with Utep going indy in Football.

Grab a Texas School maybe UTSA or Texas St
Invite UC Irvine, Hawaii ,Long Beach State to the WAC. Or UTSA , NMSU, UTep and GCU. just joins the Big West in Basketball.

Big West is a good bball conference. Adding Utep and NMSU would be good. I think Utep and NMSU need to work together and get into a conference and lead that conference. Like i dont think its a bad idea if Utep went back to the WAC. This is only with Utep going indy in Football.

Grab a Texas School maybe UTSA or Texas St
Invite UC Irvine, Hawaii ,Long Beach State to the WAC. Or UTSA , NMSU, UTep and GCU. just joins the Big West in Basketball.

All those schools you mentioned are not leaving their current conferences to join the WAC, unless there are truck loads of cash involved. And news flash, ESPN and others aren’t going to.

The Big West isn’t taking UTEP and NMSU either. The Big West is filled with small-time California schools and Hawaii, because they help pay travel costs. Hawaii doesn’t want to send their basketball teams to Texas anymore.

Being an Independent and joining the WAC is UTEP’s only option.

All those schools you mentioned are not leaving their current conferences to join the WAC, unless there are truck loads of cash involved. And news flash, ESPN and others aren’t going to.

The Big West isn’t taking UTEP and NMSU either. The Big West is filled with small-time California schools and Hawaii, because they help pay travel costs. Hawaii doesn’t want to send their basketball teams to Texas anymore.

Being an Independent and joining the WAC is UTEP’s only option.

The hell with it just bring NMSU and GCU to CUSA.

why is it that you and NoNCAAwinsSince1992 only like each other posts?? Whenever NoNCAAwinsSince1992 posts something Autographboy likes it right away. and vice versa??

He has good points and I like most of his posts. I like others posts that have good points and aren’t full of rah-rah junk. Why do you care who likes who’s posts?

why is it that you and NoNCAAwinsSince1992 only like each other posts?? Whenever NoNCAAwinsSince1992 posts something Autographboy likes it right away. and vice versa??

I like many people's posts. I even corrected his post about NMSU's acceptance rate and we even disagreed a few times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT