ADVERTISEMENT

Local UTEP coverage..

Maximus Miner

Rookie
Jul 1, 2005
So KTSM and KVIA has their sports reporters go to Phoenix to cover the Aggie/GCU game and UTEP gets pushed to the back. They get called out over On Twitter and now all hell breaks out lol.

This argument is pretty old.

Besides, that rivalry will be dead in a couple years.

In fairness, I get why they covered that game. BIG rivalry, HUGE crowd, NMSU is in first place, and Las Cruces IS in our media market. A lot of people up there watch our channels. I think it's petty to complain about this.
A lot of Aggies have made El Paso their home. We had a big game at first place UNT and the arena looked empty. I don't expect the crowd for second place MTSU to be much better.

So huge crowds are still possible. We've been seeing them all year. I hope we get there soon.

It's the new normal, man. Media attacks on their viewers is a thing now. Sadly.
Please. These are just two employees running their thumbs. Deaver seemed pre-triggered and the co-worker Litton being a hero.

Local news, KTSM especially, can't afford to 'attack' their viewers.

I understand KTSM and Deaver have a job to do and cover local sports in the area. The thing that bothers me more is that KVIA claims to be the official network for UTEP sports and yet they show NMSU highlights before UTEP highlights. I have seen it happen at least twice this season. The most recent occurred Saturday with Adrian Ochoa. 😒

I understand KTSM and Deaver have a job to do and cover local sports in the area. The thing that bothers me more is that KVIA claims to be the official network for UTEP sports and yet they show NMSU highlights before UTEP highlights. I have seen it happen at least twice this season. The most recent occurred Saturday with Adrian Ochoa. 😒
Adrian is a UTEP grad so I don't think he's anti-UTEP in any way.

NMSUx can enjoy their small time fame after winning 25+ games beating powerhouses like Chicago State and Cal Baptist.

Miner fans, I realize we disagree with each other on here and social media quite a bit and that’s fine but please, I beg you from a historical perspective, do not go at it with the (local) media. This will get ugly really, really fast.

UTEP fans vs Media. Media vs UTEP AD Office. Fans vs Coaches. Media vs Head Coaches or all pointing at each other. It can cause financial damage for all and no one wins if it persists. Just let the local media do what they do. If their stories are wrong, by all means tell them.

Dimel finally has the program moving forward and Golding as well; that is what matters.

Adrian is a UTEP grad so I don't think he's anti-UTEP in any way.

NMSUx can enjoy their small time fame after winning 25+ games beating powerhouses like Chicago State and Cal Baptist.
My comment was not meant as a jab at Adrian Ochoa, it is at KVIA.

KVIA and KTSM chose to cover the game that would have the most attention. GCU always sends a large contingent of fans to Las Cruces every time that they play and lose there. That game usually is the highlight game of the WAC between what usually is the top two teams. Covering a matchup between a 21-4 vs 18-6 would get more attention than a 15-10 vs 6-19 team. Its true UTEP is doing so much better this season, but they aren't getting butts in seats. NMSU's win over a 12-14 Dixie State drew 4,424 spectators compared to 2,861 for UTEP's win over Southern Miss. NMSU has also gotten national attention with wins over 48 NET ranked Washington State and 50 NET Ranked Davidson. There must have been some analysis done as to why KTSM and KVIA are showing NMSU over UTEP. The casual glance seems like they want to cover the better team. That will probably change next year when UTEP continues to improve.

UTEP fans have reasons to be upset that UTEP is not being covered as much in El Paso, a city 8x bigger than Las Cruces. The king of crybaby fans belongs to the Lobos. If anyone ever wants a laugh head over the lobolair after a loss and see what real crying is. For example the 180 they had from the start of the game thread against UTEP to the end was a rollercoaster of coping and denial.

You guys may remember better than I can: who was the ex sports reporter from El Paso that left a couple of years back, and after a Miner loss he said the same thing about UTEP fans, and then he walked it all back. I can’t remember the name.

To be fair Utep does a pretty bad job reporting itself. Uteps social Media is garbage. Uteps YouTube channel is garbage. I've complained before that there is no game highlights on YouTube.

I think what irks many UTEP fans and El Pasoans is how KVIA and KTSM, who are both based in El Paso seem to place NMSU athletics ahead of UTEP. KVIA is the worst of the two. I understand the El Paso stations have viewership in Las Cruces and southern NM, but if you were new to El Paso you would think these stations were based in LC and they were the bigger city. It’s no different than if the DFW stations placed and emphasis on UNT athletics instead of TCU and SMU. Local tv stations should place the local viewers with the largest market first. If you look at local commercials for EP stations, I would venture to say EP leads by at least by at least 80% to 20% ratio compared to LC. If you are a local TV or radio station that’s who pays your bills.

Reactions: mikesarabia
What also irks me is when KVIA’s Kevin Loevell is sent to the red river rivalry to cover UT. Who the F cares, thank god he’s retiring…he can go to all the UT games he wants now.

What also irks me is when KVIA’s Kevin Loevell is sent to the red river rivalry to cover UT. Who the F cares, thank god he’s retiring…he can go to all the UT games he wants now.
He's still around? I interviewed him for the school paper back in 1990.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
It's my understanding weed and a gun equals a felony charge.
Would it be a felony if the DA won’t prosecute a low level weed charge?
“District Attorney Yvonne Rosales previously stated she did not intend to seek charges against low-level marijuana offenses, such as Clardy’s arrest. However, City Council approved $125,000 for NMS Labs to test evidence for low-level marijuana offenses.”

Reactions: develman
Would it be a felony if the DA won’t prosecute a low level weed charge?
“District Attorney Yvonne Rosales previously stated she did not intend to seek charges against low-level marijuana offenses, such as Clardy’s arrest. However, City Council approved $125,000 for NMS Labs to test evidence for low-level marijuana offenses.”
Carrying a gun while in possession of weed no longer makes it a low level Marijuana offense. It's now a federal crime.

That's why in my smoking days I would never carry. Now that I'm clean I carry in my truck.

Reactions: axingfools1
Carrying a gun while in possession of weed no longer makes it a low level Marijuana offense. It's now a federal crime.

That's why in my smoking days I would never carry. Now that I'm clean I carry in my truck.
I was gonna ask 🤣🤣

Reactions: JCorona

No where in that article did it mention anything about a federal charge, that’s why I asked. I forget you’re a lawyer

No where in that article did it mention anything about a federal charge, that’s why I asked. I forget you’re a lawyer
I don't have to be a lawyer to know the risk involved with a carrying a lawful gun while in possession of marijuana.

He's very lucky he wasn't charged with a dui.

Reactions: axingfools1
In Nevada, you can carry a gun and marijuana legally, unless you're smoking the MJ.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT