ADVERTISEMENT

Miners vs. ttu

Just got back from the game and this reminded of the great years we had recently with Barbie. Neither team treated this like an exhibition game. Both teams competed hard and the crowd was loud and made a difference. I think this win will be a huge confidence booster for the Miners.

Coach Beard is 100% class. I will be pulling for them this year.
I am not going that far, but it was nice.

Senter is having a Michilada this morning after morning service along with with his enchiladas montadas. Next week it's back to hair of the dog.

Beard is a great coach and a classy guy. He’s got a very talented young team and they will be a force this year.

Terry talked about bringing in the cavalry and they’ve arrived. I was very impressed with our defensive effort and rebounding. We finally have depth on this team and many weapons on offense. I know it’s early to tell, but I believe this will be a special season for Miner basketball.

1254172884282.jpg

Here is my opinion on the game.
1. Both teams played to win the game and it felt like a regular season game.
2. UTEP has two studs in Bryson Williams and Daryl Edwards. Bryson Williams is great in the post. His first touch of the game he dunked on TTU's center and got fouled. He reminds me of former Miner Vince Hunter, only better. This guys is an all conference player. He finished with 19 pts and 9 rebounds. He can defend the 3-5 positions. He even defended TTU's Moretti who was a starter for Tech last year. Daryl Edwards is a graduate transfer from LSU and he can flat out shoot the ball, scoring 24 points shooting 6-8 from 3 point. Best shooter UTEP has had since Randy Culpepper. The difference is that Edwards is 6'3" and can shut people down as well.
3. Jordan Lathon is back and is a little better than last year. He had turnover problems in the first half but got them under control in the second. He scored 16 points on 3-8 from the floor and 8-10 from the line. Lathon had 6 turnovers for the game and he will have to clean that up.
4. Players from last season did not do much. Nigel Hawkins played 21 minutes and did not score. Efe Odigie, who averaged a double double last season was only able to be on the floor for 13 minutes. He was effective scoring 5 points and grabbing 1 rebound
5. Anthony Tarke, who was an all conference 1st team Atlantic Sun player for NJIT before transferring and was only able to get on the court for 5 minutes.
6. Tydus Verhoeven who previously led the A-10 in blocked shots was only able to play 4 minutes. He looked a little slow to me which explains his limited role and two fouls
7. UTEP did not play Kaden Archie who transferred from TCU. Also not playing was Kaosi Ezeagu who saw extended minutes for UTEP last year, and I believe he will redshirt.
UTEP held Texas Tech to 31.4% shooting and out rebounded Tech 39-30. If UTEP had not turned the ball over 22 times this game would have been a blow out. Tech did lose a lot of their starters from last year but also returned a few guys that played in all 38 games for them last year. UTEP is an elite team this year and I would be surprised if they did not finish top 3 in CUSA this year. UTEP played 10 guys and have 3 guys that started games for UTEP last year and 1 who played at TCU still on the bench. This team is really deep and built to make a run at the NCAA tournament this year.

2. UTEP has two studs in Bryson Williams and Daryl Edwards. Bryson Williams is great in the post. His first touch of the game he dunked on TTU's center and got fouled. He reminds me of former Miner Vince Hunter, only better. This guys is an all conference player. He finished with 19 pts and 9 rebounds. He can defend the 3-5 positions. He even defended TTU's Moretti who was a starter for Tech last year. Daryl Edwards is a graduate transfer from LSU and he can flat out shoot the ball, scoring 24 points shooting 6-8 from 3 point. Best shooter UTEP has had since Randy Culpepper. The difference is that Edwards is 6'3" and can shut people down as well.
3. Jordan Lathon is back and is a little better than last year. He had turnover problems in the first half but got them under control in the second. He scored 16 points on 3-8 from the floor and 8-10 from the line. Lathon had 6 turnovers for the game and he will have to clean that up.
4. Players from last season did not do much. Nigel Hawkins played 21 minutes and did not score. Efe Odigie, who averaged a double double last season was only able to be on the floor for 13 minutes. He was effective scoring 5 points and grabbing 1 rebound
5. Anthony Tarke, who was an all conference 1st team Atlantic Sun player for NJIT before transferring and was only able to get on the court for 5 minutes.
6. Tydus Verhoeven who previously led the A-10 in blocked shots was only able to play 4 minutes. He looked a little slow to me which explains his limited role and two fouls
7. UTEP did not play Kaden Archie who transferred from TCU. Also not playing was Kaosi Ezeagu who saw extended minutes for UTEP last year, and I believe he will redshirt.
UTEP held Texas Tech to 31.4% shooting and out rebounded Tech 39-30. If UTEP had not turned the ball over 22 times this game would have been a blow out. Tech did lose a lot of their starters from last year but also returned a few guys that played in all 38 games for them last year. UTEP is an elite team this year and I would be surprised if they did not finish top 3 in CUSA this year. UTEP played 10 guys and have 3 guys that started games for UTEP last year and 1 who played at TCU still on the bench. This team is really deep and built to make a run at the NCAA tournament this year.

Thanks, man. Exactly what I was looking for. Great analysis.

3. Jordan Lathon is back and is a little better than last year. He had turnover problems in the first half but got them under control in the second. He scored 16 points on 3-8 from the floor and 8-10 from line. Lathon had 6 turnovers for the game and he will have to clean that up.
Thanks for the breakdown Stanman. The thing that stood out to me were the comments on the defensive effort. Defense is the key to winning on the road, and ultimately making championship runs. It is just one game, but a solid defense is key. I was a little surprised with the limited minutes for Tarke and Verhoeven. It sounded like Tarke, in particular, was really pressing. I think he will settle down and become a contributor sooner rather than later. Terry mentioned he is still a work in process transitioning to the small forward position. Overall, it is good to have a team again that is representative of a proud program.

Last edited:
Tarke got in quick foul trouble. I remember seeing that he had 4 fouls before halftime but the stat sheet said he only had 3.

I had high expectations and as I expressed a few days ago thought we could win . I am thoroughly delighted at the outcome, but am a little concerned that there was little or nothing from Tarke, Boum, Stroud, Verhouven and Vila. Edwards was a huge surprise. Williams was as advertised and then some. Once the others come around; watch out world!

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Two questions:
1) It's the day after and I wonder why there is "zero" on the UTEP website after the huge outcome?
2) The game with Grand Canyon is Saturday. Will there be audio for it also? Not even mentioned on the website.

Reactions: 1KiddMiner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT