ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs UCSB

It was a quality win. Nothing more, nothing less. Home court is worth 3 to 4 points. UTEP won by 13. They did what they were supposed to do. One game at a time.

One thing is certain, this ain’t no Floyd team and this ain’t no CRT team. The energy has been great. Looking forward to seeing how they respond to some adversity.

It was a quality win. Nothing more, nothing less. Home court is worth 3 to 4 points. UTEP won by 13. They did what they were supposed to do. One game at a time.

One thing is certain, this ain’t no Floyd team and this ain’t no CRT team. The energy has been great. Looking forward to seeing how they respond to some adversity.
Exactly. One game at a time. I thought one of the big positives when compared to last year was limiting the turnovers to just 7. UCSB isn't really a pressure team, but that was a good sign early.

Exactly. One game at a time. I thought one of the big positives when compared to last year was limiting the turnovers to just 7. UCSB isn't really a pressure team, but that was a good sign early.
Agree. The last several years it didn’t seem to matter if we played against a pressure team or not, we had so many unforced TOs. For how fast the Miners played last night, they really took good care of the ball. Like they actually valued possessions.

A lot of great posts, with the exception of the local troll.

I will say this, I LOVE the fast paced play. I would love it more if they did it the entire game. The rotation the first 2 scrimmages we went deep into the bench. Maybe throw some of the youngins in to relieve the core players and keep the pressure on? Very active defensively.

At least we have hope....

#firedimel

It's an important victory, and while I'm cautiously optimistic, two decades of setbacks have instilled a sense of caution. I'm truly hoping Monday night marked the beginning of something special at UTEP. Personally, I find it challenging to get too excited until we make it to the NCAAT.

The Miners looked like they were having fun and were excited to play. UTEP made a top ten play of the day with
Tae Hardy's pass off the leg to Corey Camper for the basket. That hasn't happened since Randy Culpeper was here. One of the last times the team had fun playing ball here. It's a good sign for the season. They just have to keep it up for the whole season. Go Miners.

It's an important victory, and while I'm cautiously optimistic, two decades of setbacks have instilled a sense of caution. I'm truly hoping Monday night marked the beginning of something special at UTEP. Personally, I find it challenging to get too excited until we make it to the NCAAT.
That's fair enough. My own personal opinion: Be excited about the game they just won..how they won, the style of play, etc. Be cautiously optimistic moving forward for the many reasons we are all too well aware of..

That's fair enough. My own personal opinion: Be excited about the game they just won..how they won, the style of play, etc. Be cautiously optimistic moving forward for the many reasons we are all too well aware of..
Sounds fair too. The style of play is much improved.

You remember the last time we beat the reigning Big West champion?

They even repeated that same season. A ton of hype around the fans base . We’ll deserved too. At the end it was just a nice win to another mediocre season.

I know different coach and all but at that moment it really seemed we were turning the corner too.

Completely understandable to have doubts and PTSD with regards to the Men's Miner Basketball Team. However like NCAA you seem to be missing the point of what most are saying. No one knows how this team will do yet and no one is saying they'll go to the NCAA this year, based off this win. No one's even saying it's a Major Win! What's being said is this Miner team looks and feels different than in the past and there's reason for optimism. That my friend is undeniable to the trained basketball eye Miner fan or not! I think right now we're just happy to see something positive in Utep Athletics especially between the 3 majors that people care about Football and Men's and Women's Basketball. There's lots to fix, Free Throws, Inside Presence, Guarding Bigs, etc... but this team looks to be fun and passionate!

Last edited:
Completely understandable to have doubts and PTSD with regards to the Men's Miner Basketball Team. However like NCAA you seem to be missing the point of what most are saying. No one knows how this team will do yet and no one is saying they'll go to the NCAA this year, based off this win. No one's even saying it's a Major Win! What's being said is this Miner team looks and feels different than in the past and there's reason for optimism. That my friend is undeniable to the trained basketball eye Miner fan or not! I think right now we're just happy to see something positive in Utep Athletics especially between the 3 majors that people care about Football and Men's and Women's Basketball. There's lots to fix, Free Throws, Inside Presence, Guarding Bigs, etc... but this team looks to be fun and passionate!
Corona says: "Personally, I find it challenging to get too excited until we make it to the NCAAT."
Great, then. you won't post s..t until then. Right?

Corona says: "Personally, I find it challenging to get too excited until we make it to the NCAAT."
Great, then. you won't post s..t until then. Right?
Corona is a balanced guy. Nothing wrong with that. I will take that every single time over some rah-rah guy that is happy where the programs are and satisfied with mediocre at best.

It has been 13 years since our last NCAA tournament and 27 years since our last win. This win does not define the season or the program. Corona is 100% right to not get too excited. Getting excited is what gave us Dismal for so many years and extended his contract. Look where the football program is now.

Be happy with the win, but put it in perspective. Some on here want to extend Golding for 5 more years because he beat UCSB. UTEP was favored in the game, they were supposed to win.

Corona is a balanced guy. Nothing wrong with that. I will take that every single time over some rah-rah guy that is happy where the programs are and satisfied with mediocre at best.

It has been 13 years since our last NCAA tournament and 27 years since our last win. This win does not define the season or the program. Corona is 100% right to not get too excited. Getting excited is what gave us Dismal for so many years and extended his contract. Look where the football program is now.

Be happy with the win, but put it in perspective. Some on here want to extend Golding for 5 more years because he beat UCSB. UTEP was favored in the game, they were supposed to win.
Corona + Rockstr = same troll? Their go-to illogical rantings and made-up quotes are strikingly similar. Example of things no one ever said after the game: "extend Golding for 5 more years." and "happy where the programs are and satisfied with mediocre at best." You trolls are claiming you are "Fair and Balanced?" Where have we heard that before?

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Corona + Rockstr = same troll? Their go-to illogical rantings and made-up quotes are strikingly similar. Example of things no one ever said after the game: "extend Golding for 5 more years." and "happy where the programs are and satisfied with mediocre at best." You trolls are claiming you are "Fair and Balanced?" Where have we heard that before?

@JCorona and @Rocketsr are good guys who post great information, opinions, and facts.

You on the other hand.....

True. No one said those things. Typical straw man argument.

Again that wasn't the overall sentiment from most. No one's saying extend Golding or this teams gonna be the next FAU, cause of this win. For those who know basketball and have followed UTEP the team simply looks much different. Even ex miner's commented and called in to Miner talk to express the same sentiment. More swag, athleticism, energy, passion, etc... How it translates and if it continues is unknown still. It did provide a reason for cautious optimism though.

Again that wasn't the overall sentiment from most. No one's saying extend Golding or this teams gonna be the next FAU, cause of this win. For those who know basketball and have followed UTEP the team simply looks much different. Even ex miner's commented and called in to Miner talk to express the same sentiment. More swag, athleticism, energy, passion, etc... How it translates and if it continues is unknown still. It did provide a reason for cautious optimism though.
You are defining the status perfectly. They are athletic, aggressive, like each other, enjoying themselves, etc. There is certainly cause for optimism that I haven't had in many years. Cautious optimism!!!
Can't remember watching with a smile in awhile.

Yes, Most, but VegasMiner is not Most. You and he are more similar than Corona and I, but at least you finally saw the light on Dismal. Took a heck of a lot and it was really late, but you finally did. VegasMiner most likely is still happy with Dismal, and it would take 6 winless seasons by the basketball team for him to even allow you to criticize Golding.

So, you completely missed the point of my post.

And please don't use that line:
"For those of you that know"....... as you have used that one before and it did not fare well.

Perhaps we’re all mere reflections of a shared consciousness.
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

How’s Tyrin Smith’s injury Dimel lover?

I’m honored y’all think I’m @Rocketsr. He’s one of my favorite posters on here. I’ll take the compliment.
Thanks for that one, well appreciated from a thoughtful, well articulated and intelligent poster as yourself. Even when we disagree, you always make good points. You are always a good read. That is why I had to jump in on your defense. I don't think anyone else would disagree with my description of you.

Well said! Agree 100%.

Reactions: nattybry
Remember folks, don’t get attached to any of these players that are wowing you. At least 10 of them will be gone after the season is over.
So revisiting this post, what do you all think now? How much rebuilding will Fool’s Golding have to do in year 4 after the debacle of this season?

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
So revisiting this post, what do you all think now? How much rebuilding will Fool’s Golding have to do in year 4 after the debacle of this season?
He needs to start playing next year's guys a lot more. Camper, Terrell, Frazier, Jones, Kalu, Hebb. Let them grind it out with Hardy (who deserves more and will be a big loss). Let the other senior guys be backups.

Then hope that Mbengue can bring something to the table nexr year and pray that he can bring in some starting caliber transfers or recruits.

It's not looking good...

He needs to start playing next year's guys a lot more. Camper, Terrell, Frazier, Jones, Kalu, Hebb. Let them grind it out with Hardy (who deserves more and will be a big loss). Let the other senior guys be backups.

Then hope that Mbengue can bring something to the table nexr year and pray that he can bring in some starting caliber transfers or recruits.

It's not looking good...
Unless Mbengue enters the transfer portal and leaves without ever playing a game like Jamal Sumlin.

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT