ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on today's scrimmage

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
Here are my thoughts from today's scrimmage:

Artis: During a play in the second half, possibly the one where Artis threw a bounce pass in traffic to Vint for a layup, someone behind me said "That man is a magician!" He certainly appeared to be one today. From making incredible passes to his amazing drives to the basket to some nice outside shooting, he was fantastic all game.

Moore: He, too played a fantastic game. He can score from everywhere, both outside the arc and taking it to the hole.

Morris: Another player who played great ball today, scoring in a variety of ways. These three players are sure to start, and will form a great three guard attack.

Harris: He ticked me off. Not by anything he did on the court, where he was exceptionally quick and did a fantastic job of taking the ball to the basket. I was upset at his stupid academic issues. During those times after he comes back when he and Artis are in the backcourt our opponents are going to struggle against their quickness.

Vint: Hooper was our best big today. He showed some nice post moves, hit some threes, and scored a ton of points, many thanks to Artis assists. I don't know if this is a sign of how much he's improved, or a sign of how bad our front court is.

Winn: Our second best big today. He was all energy around the basket, and was the only one besides Vint to show any nice post moves. He went through a spell where he had a lot of balls go in and come out, but over all he looked good. I expect him to start alongside Willms or Vint.

Thomas: He didn't look good today. He's an athletic guy, but he looked stiff out there.

Jones: "Buddha" is tall, skinny, and athletic, but didn't show anything in the way of skills.

Flaggert: The last we saw of Flaggert he was a decent spot up shooter but didn't seem to want to handle the ball and couldn't create his own shot. He's probably a better spot up shooter right now (he did really well in the 3 point contest, though I think he only took a couple during the game, hitting one), but still did nothing in terms of driving or creating his own shot.

Romine: Had a couple of solid defense rebounds, but didn't really stand out.

Caldwell: Still all hustle, still worked really hard defensively, he didn't seem as hesitant to shoot, but that might be because he was playing with guys he knows.

Touchet: This guy won the 3 point contest, hitting 15 out of 15 in the first round, but a "mere" 13 out of 15 in the second round. Unfortunately he can't create his own shot. Given how much of a sharp shooter he is, the staff might want to create some plays to get him open.

Mbachu: He looked solid out there.

Venegas: The big walk on from Mexico was able to us his body to get into position to make some nice offensive boards, but consistently had his shot blocked down low. He did surprise me by hitting a 3.

McSwiggan and Willms sat due to injury.

If Omega was eligible, and we were fielding a team for a 6'4" and under league, we'd be awesome. Unfortunately, aside from Vint and Winn, we don't look to have much in the post, and even then, Vint's and Winn's success might have something to do with playing against our other bigs. Also, defensive rebounding is still an issue. A truly successful season will depend heavily on an unexpectedly quick improvement by our young bigs. I really don't see that happening.

Thanks Maniac, always well written. Now if we could have those recruiting posts from back in the day, that would be amazing.

Appreciate the write-up.

Unfortunately, it's sounds as I was expecting. Rebounding will likely be an issue that keeps us from winning those tough games.

This season will be an opportunity for the young bigs to grow and develop. I expect to see some growing pains, but I hope to see some potential from these young guys that translates to a 2016 run

Artis is a huge improvement at PG, the guy seemed to have good body control when he goes to the basket. What I saw from Artis is he makes players around him better. He was able to make passes that made our post player get an easy lay up. Paul Thomas to me was the most disappointing. Don't know how he has done in practice but in the scrimmage he looked like someone who will redshirt.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Good write-up MinerManiac! That's exactly how I saw it. Artis IS a magician with the ball, he has a good handle and did make his teammates look good. I see a lot of assists for him dishing off to Moore, Morris, Vint, and the rest of the guys. I too was a little disappointed with the three freshmen big men. Buddha Jones did have a couple of nice blocks and Wynn did look good around the basket. To me Omega looked the same as last year, a little erratic and couldn't finish at the rim on several occasions. Artis on the other hand was able to finish through contact at the rim. Caldwell is a ball hawk in that he has a nose for the ball and is always hustling. Vinegas actually looked pretty good mixing it up underneath and did step out to hit a three. I know this was a scrimmage but if Vint can play with the same confidence each game, this team could be special.

Thanks, Maniac. Appreciate the info. Hopefully this team gets better and better as the season goes on. A little disheartened to hear BJ wasn't more imposing. Didn't expect too much from PT this year. Hope Flags picks his game up. I just don't expect much from Vint, but hope I am surprised by him. Hoping for Winn to really come around and be the Michael Craig type of player. Will be nice to see McSwig step on the court in a few weeks. Need to remind myself to reign in the expectations with this team.

This team sucks!! What has floyd done? Floyd sucks!! Why even watch if we already know the outcome!! Ohhh wait utep is gonna win the national championship this year!

Purple-

Of all the posts that make it on this board, yours are typically the least insightful/well thought out. You should work on that, bruh.

Here I am sick! Taking a jab at epsilon and that's what I get really?? Sorry maybe the 102 fever was talking and didn't allow it to be as funny as it should have been .... Good lord!

Thanks Maniac, always well written. Now if we could have those recruiting posts from back in the day, that would be amazing.

Thanks, I'm happy that you appreciated the write up. Also, thanks for your comments on my old recruiting lists. Unfortunately I really don't have the time to keep up a recruiting list like that anymore.

Didn't Hooper score something like 28 points in last year's scrimmage? I wouldn't gauge his expectations for the season on tonight's performance.

I might be wrong, but I think that Ced was the big guy dominating in the post during last year's scrimmage, not Hooper. Yesterday Hooper really looked good, showing a variety of post moves, but again, that was against our freshman bigs. It will be interesting to see how he plays in real games against better competition. Also, his post defense has been really poor in the past. Yesterday did not offer the opportunity to see if he's improved in this area.

Here are my thoughts from today's scrimmage:

Harris: He ticked me off. Not by anything he did on the court, where he was exceptionally quick and did a fantastic job of taking the ball to the basket. I was upset at his stupid academic issues.

Not doing the classwork may cause UTEP another heartbreak season, because with him in there, UTEP would arguably be unstoppable because he runs faster than most on the UTEP track team.

Didn't Hooper score something like 28 points in last year's scrimmage? I wouldn't gauge his expectations for the season on tonight's performance.
I didn't recall Hooper having a big game for last year's scrimmage, so I looked it up. In 25 minutes of play he had 4 rebounds and 0 points. I don't expect this game to translate into a Lang type year, but hopefully it does translate to marked improvement. We shall see.

I didn't recall Hooper having a big game for last year's scrimmage, so I looked it up. In 25 minutes of play he had 4 rebounds and 0 points. I don't expect this game to translate into a Lang type year, but hopefully it does translate to marked improvement. We shall see.
Hooper had 20 or 30 points in one of the exhibitions last year. That's probably what people are thinking about.

Reactions: allminer
If I remember correctly, Hooper had a good game in the exhibition game.

Reactions: allminer
Thanks for your insight Maniac. Your analysis is invaluable for those unable to see the team in person. While a scrimmage is by no means the ideal setting for a comprehensive evaluation, it does provide an indication for this to come. My additional thoughts below based on the comments I have read, as well as input from some of my buddies:

* First the good. Clearly, the strength of the team is in our guard play. We have four legitimate potential all conference type guys in the back court (Artis, Moore, Morris, and Harris). This is obviously a good thing, and a big change from previous years. The addition of McSwiggen is a wild card; early word on him has been positive. Coming in as an older freshman player, along with his international experience will hopefully ease his transition to the American game.

* We have limited options in the front court. The young true freshman all appear have a long ways to go before being ready to contribute at this level. This is not surprising. I had heard good reviews on Winn early, but not so much on his play yesterday. Sounds like he is the prototypical undersized PF type. Without seeing him play in person, I will reserve any type of evaluation on him for now.

* On Hooper's play\stats, I again will reserve my evaluation. I do hope that he has made a "Cedric" type jump in play from his Junior to his Senior year. The big issue with Hooper's play up to now, in my opinion, has not been on the offensive side of the ball; other than his horrific free throw shooting. Instead, his big drawback has been on the defensive side of the ball. We need him to come up big on the defensive side of the court.

* Hopefully, we can get some minutes from Willms. While his play has been soft up to now, his experience would help with such an inexperienced front court. We shall see if he is capable physically with his foot injury.

Thanks for your insight Maniac. Your analysis is invaluable for those unable to see the team in person. While a scrimmage is by no means the ideal setting for a comprehensive evaluation, it does provide an indication for this to come. My additional thoughts below based on the comments I have read, as well as input from some of my buddies:

* First the good. Clearly, the strength of the team is in our guard play. We have four legitimate potential all conference type guys in the back court (Artis, Moore, Morris, and Harris). This is obviously a good thing, and a big change from previous years. The addition of McSwiggen is a wild card; early word on him has been positive. Coming in as an older freshman player, along with his international experience will hopefully ease his transition to the American game.

* We have limited options in the front court. The young true freshman all appear have a long ways to go before being ready to contribute at this level. This is not surprising. I had heard good reviews on Winn early, but not so much on his play yesterday. Sounds like he is the prototypical undersized PF type. Without seeing him play in person, I will reserve any type of evaluation on him for now.

* On Hooper's play\stats, I again will reserve my evaluation. I do hope that he has made a "Cedric" type jump in play from his Junior to his Senior year. The big issue with Hooper's play up to now, in my opinion, has not been on the offensive side of the ball; other than his horrific free throw shooting. Instead, his big drawback has been on the defensive side of the ball. We need him to come up big on the defensive side of the court.

* Hopefully, we can get some minutes from Willms. While his play has been soft up to now, his experience would help with such an inexperienced front court. We shall see if he is capable physically with his foot injury.

Vint, sir, is no Lang.

Vint wont have a Lang type year. Lang was a tough physical player who wasn't afraid to bang down low. Vint is frail and a finesse player. He is 7 feet tall but plays like he is 6'2.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I completely agree on the differences between the type of player Vint is\has been in comparison to Lang. Vint has been marshmallow soft up to this point, and I have questioned over the past five years or so whether he should be even playing at this level. The point I was making is that I thought Lang was the most improved player by far last year from his junior year. He was a far more confident, efficient, and effective player when compared to his previous years. Do I expect the same type of play from Vint? Of course not. What I would hope to see is a big jump from a guy who has been in the program for five years.

That said, even IF Hooper is really improved, having him as a starter or playing major minutes really shows how weak we are inside. I would have thought the staff, based on the makeup of the team, would have tried to sign some JC rebounding and defense. I mention this because we are likely to have similar struggles next year. I guess the thinking is that the new freshman will develop quickly; including Kelvin Jones (who has been rumored to already be our best big man). I have not seen the staff recruiting any big men of note for next year. I would hate to again squander our much improved guard play by being limited so much in the front court.

Thanks for the post Maniac, and that's how I saw it as well especially your comments on O Harris. Our guard play is going to be really strong and that will help in which teams will not be able to crowd the box like they have for the past two years and maybe our bigs will take advantage of this.

GO MINERS

Thanks for the post Maniac, and that's how I saw it as well especially your comments on O Harris. Our guard play is going to be really strong and that will help in which teams will not be able to crowd the box like they have for the past two years and maybe our bigs will take advantage of this.

GO MINERS
I am hoping that with our immensely improved guards and the abundance of them, it will open up the inside more than in the past and thus offset our weak inside game.

Reactions: unihorn
has anyone heard any new info on how willms is doing? what do you all think about his decision? wouldnt it be better for him to have the surgery and apply for a medical redshirt instead of playing and wondering what game his problem will wreck his season?

do you think harris when he returns will be coming off the bench?

has anyone heard any new info on how willms is doing? what do you all think about his decision? wouldnt it be better for him to have the surgery and apply for a medical redshirt instead of playing and wondering what game his problem will wreck his season?

do you think harris when he returns will be coming off the bench?
I haven't heard officially how he's doing, but on Twitter he says he's fine and ready to get the season started. If he applies for a medical redshirt, it might be iffy he gets it since he already had a redshirt year.

Not sure about Omega, but I have heard that Floyd is considering a four guard lineup. If so that would probably include Omega.

So where would you put omega in that 4 guard lineup? 2?
I've said before that Floyd has so many options, that I expect different line ups from game to game. He will experiment and adjust to what the opponent has to offer. It'll be mucho fun to see what linr ups work best.

I haven't heard officially how he's doing, but on Twitter he says he's fine and ready to get the season started. If he applies for a medical redshirt, it might be iffy he gets it since he already had a redshirt year.

Not sure about Omega, but I have heard that Floyd is considering a four guard lineup. If so that would probably include Omega.

It's one thing to "feel fine" when you're just walking around, it's another when you're sprinting on the hardwood and stopping on a dime for 20 minutes. This guy is going to re injure it for sure, I hope he doesn't but he's just injury prone. He reminds of those 7 fters with the chronic knee and foot injuries such as Yao Ming and Greg Oden.http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/tall-players-like-joel-embiid-are-more-prone-to-injury/

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I've said before that Floyd has so many options, that I expect different line ups from game to game. He will experiment and adjust to what the opponent has to offer. It'll be mucho fun to see what linr ups work best.

I'm kind of interested to see if a 4 guard lineup happens what type of defense Floyd goes with?

article-spacejamweb-0221.jpg

It's one thing to "feel fine" when you're just walking around, it's another when you're sprinting on the hardwood and stopping on a dime for 20 minutes. This guy is going to re injure it for sure, I hope he doesn't but he's just injury prone. He reminds of those 7 fters with the chronic knee and foot injuries such as Yao Ming and Greg Oden.http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/tall-players-like-joel-embiid-are-more-prone-to-injury/
I was at the UTEP tipoff luncheon today. Floyd mentioned Wilms injury and stated that the doctor said he could play but in limited minutes...14-18 minutes a game! Floyd stated he needed more like 34 minutes a game from him. He did add the injury is similar to that of most big men like Oden, Ming, Joel Embid, Sam Bowie, and others.

The luncheon was great! Tevin Caldwell, Hooper Vint, and Paul Thomas were there representing the men's team. Floyd gave us a great story of Kelvin Jones who is redshirting this year. Floyd has really high hopes for this guy and based on the story, Jones has a good work ethic. Next year is looking very promising as well!

At the tipoff luncheon Floyd did mention the possibility of using a four guard lineup but didn't say which four guards.

My guess based on watching the scrimmage would be Moore, Artis, and Morris as starting guards with the 4th, when used, being rotated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT